Marienhaus Hospital St. Elisabeth Neuwied
Department of Cardiology and Rhythmology (289992)
Specialized in: cardiology, rhythmology
About the department
The Department of Cardiology and Rhythmology at the Marienhaus Hospital St. Elisabeth Neuwied offers the full range of highly accurate diagnostics and effective treatment of cardiovascular diseases. The department includes the Emergency Medical Service, the Chest Pain Unit, which provides 24-hour monitoring, as well as the Intensive Care Unit. The department's cardiologists have successful experience in the field of percutaneous treatment of mitral valve pathologies by means of a modern MitraClip procedure. The medical facility operates in strict accordance with the protocols of the professional societies, which guarantees a top-class level of medical service. The department is headed by Dr. med. Burkhard Hügl.
The key focus in clinical practice is on the treatment of patients with acute and chronic coronary heart diseases. Such pathologies occur if atherosclerotic plaques form on the walls of the coronary arteries, which impair blood circulation and oxygen supply to the myocardium. The treatment of coronary heart diseases takes place in the advanced Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory. If necessary, the removal of atherosclerotic plaques in the arteries can be followed by the implantation of special stents. The use of new diagnostic methods allows the doctors to accurately assess the degree of narrowing of the vessel and select the most suitable therapeutic technique.
The department also admits patients with heart failure, including the severe types. In addition to drug therapy, the patients can be implanted special models of pacemakers to improve the pumping function of the heart. This contributes to the stabilization of the work of the heart, while the quality of life of the patient can be significantly improved due to this too.
An integral part of work of the department's doctors is medical care for patients with heart arrhythmias. Should drug therapy be ineffective, catheter ablation of the arrhythmogenic focus will become an option of choice.
The diagnostic and therapeutic options of the department include:
- Stress ECG
- Long-term ECG registration
- Body plethysmography
- Doppler and duplex scanning of the vessels in the head and neck, peripheral vessels
- Intravascular ultrasound scanning
- Electrophysiological examinations
- Cardiac catheterization for diagnostic purposes
- Stress echocardiography
- Transthoracic echocardiography, including 3D echocardiography
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Cardiac CT (in collaboration with the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (in collaboration with the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology)
- Atrial septal defect closure
- Patent foramen ovale closure
- Catheter ablation for heart arrhythmias
- Installation of implantable cardioverter defibrillator
- Installation of single- and dual-chamber pacemakers, including follow-up monitoring
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy
- Laser angioplasty
- Cardiac catheterization for therapeutic purposes, including coronary artery intervention
- Treatment of mitral valve diseases using MitraClip procedure
- Other medical services
Education and Professional Career
- 1986 - 1993 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Bonn.
- 1993 - 1994 Practice in Internal Medicine.
- 1995 Doctoral thesis defense at the University of Bonn.
- 1995 Assistant Physician in the Department of Cardiology and Pulmonology, University Hospital Bonn.
- 1995 - 1996 Assistant Physician in the Intensive Care Unit, Augustine Hospital.
- 1995 - 1997 Assistant Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine, Health Center Ludwigshafen, Working Group on Heart Rhythm Disturbances.
- 1997 - 2001 Assistant Physician at the Heart Center at the Leipzig University, Cardiology.
- 2001 - 2008 Head of the Department of Cardiology at the Central Clinic Bad Berka.
- Since 01.04.2008 Chief Physician of the Department of Cardiology and Rhythmology at the Marienhaus Hospital St. Elisabeth Neuwied.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Marienhaus Kliniken GmbH
Department of Cardiology and Rhythmology.
Marienhaus Hospital St. Elisabeth Neuwied:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.