Marienhaus Hospital St. Elisabeth Neuwied
Department of Spine Surgery and Neurotraumatology (289997)
spine surgery, neurotraumatology
The Department of Orthopedics, Traumatology and Spine Surgery at the Marienhaus Klinikum St. Elisabeth Neuwied under the direction of Dr. med. Walter Richter covers the entire spectrum of spine surgery. This includes microsurgical spine interventions (e.g., herniated discs, including postnucleotomy syndrome) and a comprehensive treatment of acute spine injuries, including the section for the patients with brain injuries and the Intensive Care Unit.
The medical personnel of the Department under the direction of Dr. med. Walter Richter consists of neurosurgeons, trauma surgeons and orthopedists. Due to this versatility, every day there can be provided comprehensive and full medical care. The field of neurosurgery at the Marienhaus Klinikum St. Elisabeth Neuwied offers all kinds of skull / facial surgery, including emergency. The nerve compression syndromes are treated here as well.
The Department of Spine Surgery and Neurotraumatology at the Marienhaus Klinikum St. Elisabeth Neuwied has a unique expertise in cervical spine surgery. There are offered various established methods: while treating compression syndromes, related to bone structures, the physician inserts an artificial anchor into the intervertebral space. Depending on the circumstances, the treatment of “soft” hernias can involve a variant of prosthetics. In this case the implant has a sparing effect on the adjacent discs. Thus, the patient’s mobility is fully preserved. If it is necessary to remove one or a few vertebral bodies, there can be installed the corresponding systems both in front and at the rear.
The Department of Spine Surgery and Neurotraumatology at the Marienhaus Klinikum St. Elisabeth Neuwied is one of the few clinics in Germany, which have O-Arm intraoperative imaging device. It not only greatly improves the accuracy during the implant placement, but also significantly reduces the amount of radiation.
The range of services of the Department of Spine Surgery and Neurotraumatology at the Marienhaus Klinikum St. Elisabeth Neuwied includes:
- Microsurgery on the intervertebral discs
- Prosthetic care of the cervical discs
- Thoracic / lumbar spine stabilization surgery
- Spinal decompression
Spectrum of surgical treatment
- All microsurgical interventions on the spine, including herniated discs and postnucleotomy syndrome
- Wear and tear related to changes in the cervical / lumbar spine
- Treatment of the spine after fractures
- Vertebral fractures in osteoporosis with vertebral bone cement filling (minimally invasive surgery)
- Dislocated vertebrae upon spinal instability
- Spinal instability following the previous surgery, including laminectomy, inflammatory changes or the main rheumatic disease
- Dorsal screw fixation of the cervical spine (e.g. after pseudarthrosis or cervical myelopathy)
- Surgical treatment of benign and malignant tumors
- Narrowing syndromes of the cervical and lumbar spine with the use of latest established methods
- Neuwied, Germany