Martha-Maria Hospital Munich
Department of Otolaryngology (286900)
Specialized in: otolaryngology
About the department
The Department of Otolaryngology at the Martha-Maria Hospital Munich offers the comprehensive treatment of diseases of the ear, throat and nose at the highest level of modern medicine. The department performs progressive endoscopic, microscopic and plastic reconstructive operations. If surgical treatment is necessary, the preference is always given to the most sparing techniques, which guarantee minimal pain and rapid postoperative recovery. The range of such operations includes tonsillectomy, imaging-guided endoscopic paranasal sinus surgery, CO2 laser resection of head and neck tumors, middle ear microsurgery to improve hearing, etc. In addition, the department successfully operates the Cochlear Implant Centre.
The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Markus Suckfüll. Previously, the professor held the position of Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Otolaryngology at the University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. In addition, Dr. Suckfüll is an active scientist and author of numerous publications, he regularly speaks at the national and international medical congresses.
The department is famous for excellent treatment of patients with impaired hearing and deafness by means of cochlear implantation. Prior to this therapeutic procedure, the patient undergoes the comprehensive diagnostics, ranging from subjective and objective auditory tests and balance testing to imaging diagnostics (CT, MRI, etc.). The next step is the prescription of cochlear implantation and development of an individual postoperative recovery plan. The surgery takes about 90 minutes and is performed under general anesthesia. The intervention is performed by highly qualified surgeons, so the risk of complications is almost zero. An important stage of the operation is the accurate placement of the electrode holder in the cochlea, since this is the key to successful outcome of the procedure. The diagnostics of the state of the auditory nerve and functional test of the implant are also performed directly during the operation. As a rule, the patient is discharged already on the 2-3rd day after the operation. Approximately five weeks later, the doctor will adopt an implant to the features of the hearing analyzer of the patient and check its functional status.
The department's range of therapeutic services includes:
- Auricular surgery
- Outer ear surgery
- Correction of everted ears
- Opening of the tympanic membrane (paracentesis, laser paracentesis, tympanostomy tube placement)
- Ear canal and middle ear microsurgery
- Removal of ossification of cartilaginous tissues in the ear canal (exostoses)
- Surgery for chronic inflammation of the middle ear (type IV tympanoplasty)
- Removal of infectious lesions of the auditory ossicles of the middle ear (surgery to remove cholesteatoma)
- Otostapes prosthetics (stapedoplasty for otosclerosis)
- Hearing restoration surgery
- Implantation of hearing aids
- Cochlear implantation
- Surgical treatment of tinnitus
- Outer ear surgery
- Nasal surgery
- Turbinate reduction surgery (turbinoplasty)
- Surgery for nose and nasal septum reshaping (septorhinoplasty)
- Surgery for nasal septum reshaping (septoplasty)
- Functional endoscopic surgery of the paranasal sinuses
- Neck surgery
- Removal of nasopharyngeal tonsils (adenotomy)
- Removal of palatine tonsils (radiofrequency tonsillotomy)
- Removal of tonsils (tonsillectomy)
- Soft palate plication
- Salivary gland surgery (lacrimal duct sanitation, parotidectomy)
- Removal of neck cysts
- ENT endoscopy (panendoscopy, tracheoscopy, esophagoscopy)
- Laser resection of head and neck tumors
- Removal of cervical lymph nodes
- Laryngeal surgery for voice improvement
- Removal of the larynx (including partial one)
- Removal of facial skin tumors
- Plastic reconstruction of defects
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)
- Other therapeutic options
- Study of Medicine, Lübeck Medical School.
- Internship, University of Cape Town, South Africa.
- Scholarship of the German Research Foundation, Institute of Surgical Research, University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- Trainee, Department of Surgery at the Technical University of Munich.
- Assistant Physician, Department of Otolaryngology, University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- Since October 1997 Board certification in Otolaryngology.
- Since January 1997 Senior Physician.
- Since August 2007 Leading Senior Physician.
- Extraordinary Professorship.
- Plastic surgery.
- Special otolaryngological surgery.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Diakoniewerk Martha-Maria e. V.
Department of Otolaryngology.
Martha-Maria Hospital Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.