MEDIAN Rehabilitation Clinic Flechtingen
Department of Neurological Rehabilitation (25917)
Specialized in: neurological rehabilitation
About the department
The Department of Neurological Rehabilitation at the MEDIAN Rehabilitation Clinic Flechtingen provides the full range of modern rehabilitation measures for patients with diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. The department most often admits patients after such neurological disorders as stroke, traumatic brain injury, meningitis, encephalitis, polyneuropathy and others. The doctors of the medical facility are distinguished by their special competence in the field of rehabilitation treatment of patients with multiple sclerosis. The main types of therapy successfully used in the department include therapeutic exercises, sports therapy, physiotherapy, therapy to restore balance and coordination, ergotherapy, hippotherapy, training on special robotic equipment to restore walking skills, fine and gross motor skills, mirror therapy, speech therapy, art therapy, music therapy and many other effective rehabilitation treatment methods. The set of rehabilitation measures and their intensity are determined for each patient individually. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Michael Sailer.
Acute diseases and injuries of the brain and spinal cord, as well as chronic neurological disorders are often associated with serious restrictions, which prevent a person from returning to his everyday life. Therefore, the main task of the department's rehabilitation therapists is to choose the optimal set of therapeutic procedures, which will help get rid of these restrictions, prevent the progression of the disease and achieve maximum independence of the patient in everyday life. Prior to the appointment of a particular rehabilitation program for the patient, the specialists determine specific goals of the rehabilitation, which must be achieved during the therapy. The department's doctors always strive to provide patients with a high-quality and long-term result of rehabilitation treatment.
It should be noted that one of the priority focuses of the department's work is early rehabilitation, which is carried out within the specialized unit. The patients with such acute and severe injuries of the central and peripheral nervous system as stroke, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury and apallic syndrome, are admitted here after their therapy in the Intensive Care Unit. The technical equipment meets all the standards of the Intensive Care Unit. The department also employs a large number of qualified specialists, who provide patients with the necessary professional care.
Many diseases of the brain lead to problems with swallowing and speech. In this regard, the team of the department has the required qualifications, as well as special diagnostic and therapeutic options for the treatment of such disorders. In addition, the department holds personal consultations with the patients and their relatives at any time.
The department also has a specialized Section for Multiple Sclerosis, which provides them with optimal living conditions and treatment. Thanks to close cooperation with organizations for the protection of the rights of such patients, in particular, with the German Multiple Sclerosis Association and other clinics specializing in the treatment of this disease, the department offers its patients the individualized and comprehensive rehabilitation treatment of the highest level.
The department specializes in the rehabilitation of patients after the following neurological disorders:
- Traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries, including paraplegia
- Anoxic brain injuries due to the lack of oxygen (for example, after resuscitation or trauma)
- Conditions after surgery to remove brain and spinal cord tumors
- Conditions after surgery on the brain vessels
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson's disease
- Meningitis and encephalitis
- Degenerative neuromuscular diseases
- Neurogenic swallowing disorders
- Aphasia and dysarthria
- Other neurological disorders
The department's therapeutic options include:
- Therapeutic exercises
- Sports therapy
- Therapy to restore balance and coordination, concentration of attention using the innovative Balance-Board system
- Forced-use therapy
- Training with a speech therapist to restore speech and swallowing disorders
- Functional therapy for the upper limbs with state-of-the-art ArmeoSpring system
- Mirror therapy for patients with impaired limb motor function
- Hippotherapy (therapeutic horse riding)
- Art therapy
- Music therapy
- Other therapies
- 1988 - 1990 Assistant at the Institute of Pathology at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1990 - 1994 Professional training in Neurology, Department of Neurology at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1995 Senior Physician in the Department of Neurology II, hospital at Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg.
- 1996 - 1997 Research Fellow in the Institute of Neurology at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London.
- 1999 Habilitation in Neurology.
- 1999 Senior Physician with management responsibilities, Department of Neurology II, hospital at Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg.
- 2002 - 2003 Advanced training course, Master of Business Administration (MBA).
- Since 2006 Endowed Professorship, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg.
- Since 2006 Chief Physician in the Department of Neurological Rehabilitation at the MEDIAN Neurological Rehabilitation Clinic Magdeburg.
- Chief Physician in the Department of Neurological Rehabilitation at the MEDIAN Rehabilitation Clinic Flechtingen.
Photo of the doctor: (c) MEDIAN Klinik Flechtingen
Department of Neurological Rehabilitation.
MEDIAN Rehabilitation Clinic Flechtingen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.