MEDIAN Rehabilitation Clinic Flechtingen
Department of Neurological Rehabilitation (25917)
Specialized in: neurology
The Department of Neurological Rehabilitation at the MEDIAN Rehabilitation Clinic Flechtingen deals with the rehabilitation of patients with diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. A separate focus is placed on the rehabilitation of patients with multiple sclerosis. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Michael Sailer.
Acute diseases and injuries of the brain and spinal cord, as well as chronic neurological disorders are often associated with limitations that will not allow a person to return to everyday life. Neurological rehabilitation is based on targeted therapeutic procedures that help to get rid of such restrictions and prevent the progression of the disease. A special competence of the department is the long-term recovery of patients suffering from paralysis and impaired brain functioning. The process of patient’s recovery begins with the determination of personal and rehabilitation goals that should be achieved in the course of rehabilitation.
The department has the Section for Early Rehabilitation. It admits patients with acute and severe lesions of the central and peripheral nervous system, such as stroke, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and apallic syndrome, who come here after treatment in the intensive care unit. The technical equipment corresponds to all standards of the intensive care unit. Also, the section employs a large number of qualified specialists who are always ready to help the patient.
Many brain diseases cause speech and swallowing disorders. Therefore, the medical team of the Department of Neurological Rehabilitation has the necessary qualifications, as well as special diagnostic and therapeutic conditions for the treatment of such diseases. In addition, both patients and their relatives can receive personal advice from the specialists of the department at all times.
The department also includes the Section for Multiple Sclerosis, in which patients are provided with optimal living conditions and treatment. Thanks to close cooperation with the organizations for the protection of the rights of such patients, in particular with the German Multiple Sclerosis Society and other specialized clinics, the department can offer its patients a tailored and comprehensive rehabilitation for this condition.
The Department of Neurological Rehabilitation specializes in the recovery of patients after the following diseases and surgical interventions:
- Stroke (vascular occlusion or cerebral hemorrhage)
- Cerebrovascular surgery
- Brain and spinal cord injuries (including paraplegia)
- Brain damage due to the lack of oxygen (for example, after a stay in the intensive care unit or after a sustained injury)
- Surgery to remove brain and spinal cord tumors
- Multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease
- Meningitis and brain inflammation
- Degenerative neuromuscular diseases
- Neurogenic dysphagia
- Aphasia, dysarthria
The main types of therapy offered in the department include:
- Hippotherapy (therapeutic use of a horse)
- Physiotherapy / sports therapy
- Therapy for restoring balance and coordination, concentration of attention (with an Balance-Board)
- Occupational therapy
- Forced-use therapy
- Methods for restoring speech and swallowing disorders
- Functional therapy for upper extremities (with the ArmeoSpring system)
- Mirror therapy (for patients with impaired motor function of the limbs)
- Art therapy
- Music therapy
- Flechtingen, Germany