Medipol Mega University Hospital Istanbul
Department of General Surgery (302852)
Specialized in: general surgery
About the department
The Department of General Surgery at the Medipol Mega University Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of surgical treatment for various diseases. Of particular interest to the department's specialists is the treatment of cancer, particularly, stomach, pancreatic and bowel cancer. Another priority field is breast surgery, which includes the treatment of both benign and malignant diseases. In addition, the department's surgeons are proud of their successful experience in bariatric surgery and interventions on the endocrine glands. All operations are planned and carried out in accordance with the current international protocols. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Akif Tan.
The department's key focus is cancer surgery. The standard surgical techniques include laparoscopic surgery. To treat abdominal cancers, the doctors use the innovative technical instruments. The department's doctors are also highly qualified in the treatment of breast cancer. In most cases, the surgeons manage to preserve breast. In addition, the department's doctors often deal with the treatment of patients with gallbladder diseases and hernias. The interventions to treat such pathologies are mainly performed using laparoscopic techniques.
The field of competence of the department's specialists includes colorectal surgery. The patients with bowel cancer undergo a comprehensive treatment course, the development of which involves the doctors from the Departments of Gastroenterology, Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, Oncology and Radiation Oncology. Thus, the department practices an interdisciplinary approach, which is the most effective in the treatment of complex pathologies.
An interdisciplinary approach is also applied in the treatment of benign and malignant breast diseases. For this purpose, the experienced specialists of the department have state-of-the-art medical technologies, including ultrasound examination, digital mammography and MRI. When planning interventions on the breast, the wishes of the patient and the aesthetic aspect are necessarily taken into account.
Special attention should be given to bariatric surgery, which deals with the treatment of morbid obesity. The standard surgical treatments are sleeve gastroplasty (laparoscopic vertical banded gastroplasty) and mini gastric bypass surgery, which are performed using minimally traumatic laparoscopic techniques.
The department's spectrum of services is complemented by the surgical treatment of thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal diseases. The team of the department's specialists develops individual treatment regimens in close collaboration with endocrinologists, specialists in nuclear medicine and other doctors. The operations on the endocrine glands in most cases are performed using minimally invasive techniques, which contribute to the rapid recovery of the patient after the intervention.
The key focuses of the department's clinical practice include:
- Gastrointestinal surgery (focus on cancer surgery)
- Surgery to treat stomach diseases
- Surgery to treat pancreatic diseases
- Surgery to treat bowel diseases
- Colorectal surgery
- Endoscopic procedures
- Laparoscopic interventions
- Transrectal interventions without incisions of the anterior abdominal wall
- Radiation therapy (before or after surgery)
- Biofeedback therapy (in patients with functional bowel diseases)
- Breast surgery
- Oncoplastic breast surgery
- Mastectomy with skin and nipple preservation
- Radioactive marking and resection of non-palpable breast neoplasms
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy and axillary lymph node dissection
- Breast reconstruction in combination with plastic surgery
- Preventive surgical treatment of carriers of BRCA gene mutations and high-risk patients
- Perioperative radiation therapy
- Endocrine surgery
- Surgery to treat thyroid diseases
- Surgery to treat parathyroid diseases
- Surgery to treat adrenal diseases
- Bariatric surgery for morbid obesity
- Sleeve gastroplasty
- Mini gastric bypass surgery
- Other surgical services
- 2012 Istanbul University, General Surgery.
- 1996 GATA Haydarpaşa Training and Research Hospital, Department of General Surgery.
- 1994 Gülhane Faculty of Medicine, General Surgery.
- 1985 Faculty of Medicine of the Gülhane Military School of Medicine.
- 2005 Medipol Mega University Hospital Istanbul.
- 2002 - 2004 Gümüşsuyu Military Hospital.
- 1994 - 1996 Şirnak Military Hospital.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Medipol Mega University Hospital Istanbul
Department of General Surgery.
Medipol Mega University Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.