Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Hand, Foot Surgery and Spinal Surgery (641486)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric orthopedics, traumatology, hand, foot surgery, spinal surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Hand, Foot Surgery and Spinal Surgery at the Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of medical services for patients with musculoskeletal diseases and injuries. The department's specialists provide high-quality conservative and surgical treatment of orthopedic diseases of any severity in adults and children. The clinical activities of the department's doctors are focused on knee, shoulder, elbow, ankle and wrist arthroplasty, on the treatment of diseases and deformities of the hand and foot, on the treatment of osteomyelitis, as well as on the treatment of musculoskeletal malignancies and correction of unequal leg length. The department's medical team is distinguished by exceptional qualifications in the field of trauma treatment, including especially complex ones. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Mahir Mahirogulları.
The department successfully uses innovative drugs, bandages, minimally invasive and arthroscopic surgical techniques, which provide excellent results and allow the patient to regain freedom and joy of movement without pain. Each clinical case is considered on an individual basis, which helps the doctors to optimally combine treatment methods for the restoration of bones, joints, ligaments, muscles and other anatomical structures of the musculoskeletal system.
The department's doctors always start with conservative treatment, avoiding radical therapeutic measures. However, many pathologies require invasive interventions, that is why the department's orthopedic surgeons practice sparing operations, which are the gold standard of modern surgery. The surgeons successfully perform arthroscopic surgical procedures to treat ligament tears, meniscal lesions, arthrosis and arthritis. Such interventions exclude the opening of the joint, which is quite traumatic for the patient and requires a long recovery after surgery. When performing arthroscopic surgery, the surgeon makes three small punctures in the area of the affected joint, through which he inserts surgical instruments, a light source and a miniature video camera. The image from the video camera is displayed on a large monitor, which allows the doctor to clearly see the surgical field.
The department's specialists have rich and successful experience in the treatment of diseases and injuries of the hand. To restore hand function and eliminate pain, the doctors mostly use microsurgical and endoscopic techniques. The department has advanced medical equipment, which helps perform the most complex high-precision operations with minimal injury rate to the healthy tissues of the patient's hand. The department's competent surgeons perform finger surgeries, including finger transplantations, joint replacement surgery, tendon reconstructive surgery, surgery to remove tumors of the upper limbs, as well as surgery to treat arthritis and arthrosis. In addition, the department performs operations to correct congenital defects of the hands and fingers. The surgeons perfectly cope with the correction of such defects as undeveloped or missing fingers, polydactyly and syndactyly, hand deformities, etc. After surgical treatment, patients undergo rehabilitation, including physiotherapeutic procedures, intra-articular injections and others.
The department often admits patients with musculoskeletal injuries, including sports ones. Based on the diagnostic results, the attending physician decides on the type of therapy – conservative treatment with plaster bandages and drugs or a surgical intervention. Obviously, conservative treatments are the first-line therapy. If surgery is required, the preference is always given to minimally invasive techniques, which involve only small punctures instead of large incisions, which significantly reduce the invasiveness of the operation and period of postoperative recovery. If necessary, computer navigation systems can be used to accurately imagine the surgical field during the intervention.
The department's medical team also specializes in the treatment of musculoskeletal diseases and injuries in children and adolescents under the age of 16. The department is one of the few highly specialized medical facilities of this kind in Turkey. The most common orthopedic conditions in children include gait abnormalities, foot deformities, hand defects, hip dysplasia, and spinal deformities.
The department’s main clinical focuses include:
- Knee, shoulder, elbow, ankle and wrist arthroscopic surgery
- Joint replacement surgery
- Hand microsurgery
- Trigger fingers
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Dupuytren's contracture
- Hand neoplasms
- Flexor and extensor tendon injuries
- Burns and frostbite of fingers, their complications
- Foot surgery
- Flat feet
- Pes cavus
- Achilles tendon rupture
- Heel spur
- Congenital foot deformities
- Hammer toes
- Spinal surgery
- Spondylolisthesis (vertebral displacement)
- Spinal instability
- Spinal fractures
- Treatment of musculoskeletal injuries, including sports ones
- Treatment of orthopedic diseases and injuries in children and adolescents
- Congenital musculoskeletal deformities
- Gait abnormalities
- Diseases and deformities of the foot
- Diseases and deformities of the hand
- Hip dysplasia
- Bone fractures and other musculoskeletal injuries
- Other therapeutic options
- Since 2016 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Hand, Foot Surgery and Spinal Surgery at the Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Since 2016 Physician in the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Hand, Foot and Spinal Surgery at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2012 - 2016 Physician in the Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology at the Medipol Mega University Hospital Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2010 - 2012 Physician in the Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology at the Haydarpasa Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2009 - 2010 Physician in the Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology at the Sarikamis Military Hospital, Kars, Turkey.
- 2007 - 2009 Physician in the Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology at the Haydarpasa Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2000 Specialist in Orthopedics and Traumatology, NATO Peacekeeping Forces.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2005 - 2006 Scholarship program, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, USA.
- 1995 - 1999 Specialized training in Orthopedics and Traumatology, Faculty of Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 1986 - 1992 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Istanbul, Turkey.
Scientific Publications and Reports
- 45 presentations and posters at the international congresses.
- 70 publications in international journals.
- 80 presentations and posters at the congresses in Turkey.
- 20 publications in Turkish journals.
- Editing translations in 6 books, translation of 39 chapters, authorship of chapters in the book of the international edition.
Awards and Honors
- 2015 Best Oral Presentation Award of the Turkish Association of Orthopaedics and Traumatology (TOTDER).
- 2007 Third Derviş Manizade Award.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Turkish Society of Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Turkish Society of Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy and Knee Surgery (General Secretary).
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS).
- Turkish Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery.
- European Society for Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA).
- Turkish Hip Arthroplasty Society.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Ataşehir Hospital
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Hand, Foot Surgery and Spinal Surgery.
Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.