Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul
Department of General, Endocrine and Bariatric Surgery (641492)
Specialized in: general, endocrine and bariatric surgery
About the Department of General, Endocrine and Bariatric Surgery at Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul
The Department of General, Endocrine and Bariatric Surgery at the Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of services in the surgical treatment of diseases of the stomach, small and large intestine, liver, pancreas, gallbladder and biliary tract, as well as hernias and esophageal pathologies. The department is also responsible for the treatment of diseases of the rectum, anus and colon. The team of endocrine surgeons is responsible for operations on the thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands. The surgical options are complemented by the surgical treatment of morbid obesity – gastric bypass surgery and sleeve gastrectomy. The department is headed by Assoc. Prof. Dr. med. Fatih Taskesen.
Most of the operations are performed using sparing laparoscopic, endoscopic and robot-assisted techniques, which allow the patient to avoid long postoperative recovery and severe pain. The department's operating rooms have state-of-the-art surgical equipment, and therefore the surgical treatment complies with current clinical protocols, hygiene and safety standards.
Special attention should be given to the department's medical staff. The highly qualified doctors, who underwent thorough training in their specialization in the most prestigious hospitals in Turkey, as well as in leading medical centers in Europe and the United States, work here for the benefit of patients. The colossal experience of the surgeons allows them to perform operations of the highest degree of complexity with excellent results.
In the field of general surgery, key attention is paid to the surgical treatment of gastrointestinal cancers. The department's surgeons successfully perform operations to remove neoplasms of the intestine, stomach, esophagus, colon and large intestine, pancreas, etc. With appropriate clinical indications, the interventions are performed using laparoscopic techniques. Nevertheless, cancer is a particularly complex disease, and the effective treatment of this pathology requires an integrated approach. Therefore, gastroenterologists, oncologists, radiation therapists, chemotherapists and other specialists from the related medical disciplines are involved in the patient's treatment. Together, they thoroughly elaborate the treatment tactics for complete cure of the patient. In the case of advanced stages of oncology, the goal of therapy is to achieve persistent remission. After treatment, the patient needs to undergo regular diagnostic examinations and visit a doctor to early detect cancer recurrence.
Another important clinical focus of the department's team of surgeons is the surgical treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases – Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Should one of these pathologies be diagnosed, the doctor will initially prescribe conservative therapy, including drug treatment. If the treatment is ineffective and the patient's symptoms do not disappear, the doctors make a decision to perform surgical treatment. When performing the operation, the surgeon removes the affected area of the bowel, after which he forms anastomoses in it. In the case of a severe course or advanced stages of inflammatory bowel diseases, surgery is the only effective method to relieve symptoms and improve the patient's quality of life.
Endocrine surgery is represented by a specially trained team of experts who provide top-class surgical treatment of benign and malignant neoplasms of the thyroid gland, parathyroid glands, adrenal glands and pancreas. In addition, the department provides the surgical treatment for nodular and toxic goiter, autoimmune disorders of the thyroid gland, etc. When performing surgical interventions on the thyroid and parathyroid glands, the doctors apply special techniques to prevent haemorrhage and vocal cord lesions, which can provoke loss of voice.
The department also specializes in bariatric interventions for patients with morbid obesity. Morbid obesity is quite dangerous and can lead to the development of a number of serious diseases, including type 2 diabetes mellitus, arterial hypertension, respiratory diseases, cardiovascular diseases, obstructive sleep apnea and dysfunction of the musculoskeletal system. Bariatric surgery helps not only to get rid of excess weight, but also to prevent the development of many pathologies caused by obesity. For fast and effective weight loss, the department performs gastric bypass surgery and sleeve gastrectomy. Nevertheless, the surgical treatment of morbid obesity is indicated only for patients with a body mass index of at least 40. Obviously, surgery for the treatment of morbid obesity is a last resort. The patient initially undergoes diet therapy and the doctors also individually select the scope of physical activity to effectively lose excess pounds. Psychologists are also involved in the treatment process as well. They help to deal with improper eating habits, as well as support on the path to healthy weight. Only if all of the above measures do not give any positive result and the patient cannot get rid of excess weight, the specialists resort to surgery. However, after the surgery, the patient will also have to carefully follow the diet and do sports in order to consolidate the results of the surgical intervention.
The department's range of surgical services includes:
- General surgery
- Surgical treatment of pathologies of the esophagus, stomach, small and large intestine (special focus on cancer treatment)
- Surgical treatment of chronic inflammatory diseases of the digestive tract (ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease)
- Surgical treatment of diseases of the liver, pancreas, gallbladder and biliary tract
- Surgical treatment of diseases of the small intestine, colon and rectum (special focus on the treatment of colorectal cancer)
- Hernia repair surgery
- Anterior abdominal wall hernias
- Inguinal hernias
- Incisional hernias
- Surgical treatment of anorectal diseases
- Anal fissures
- Perianal abscess
- Perianal fistula
- Anal itching
- Perianal condylomas
- Fecal incontinence
- Endocrine surgery
- Surgical treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the thyroid gland, parathyroid glands, adrenal glands and pancreas
- Surgical treatment of nodular and toxic goiter
- Surgical treatment of autoimmune thyroid diseases
- Bariatric surgery
- Gastric bypass surgery
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Assoc. Prof. Dr. med. Fatih Taskesen
- Since 2018 Head of the Department of General, Endocrine and Bariatric Surgery at the Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2015 - 2018 Surgeon, Department of General Surgery, Dicle University Hospital, Diyarbakir, Turkey.
- 2012 - 2013 Surgeon, Department of General Surgery, Sisli Florence Nightingale Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2011 - 2015 Surgeon, Department of General Surgery, Dicle University Hospital, Diyarbakir, Turkey.
- 2008 - 2011 Surgeon, Department of General Surgery, State Hospital, Batman, Turkey.
- 2008 Surgeon, Department of General Surgery, Diyarbakir Teaching and Research Hospital, Diyarbakir, Turkey.
- 2002 - 2008 Specialized training in General Surgery, Numune Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey.
- 2001 - 2002 General Practitioner, Bingel, Turkey.
- 2000 - 2001 General Practitioner, Kağızman State Hospital, Kars, Turkey.
- 1993 - 2000 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Turkish Surgical Association.
- Turkish Association of Trauma and Emergency Surgery.
- Turkish Association of Colorectal Surgeons.
- Turkish Liver Transplant Association.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Ataşehir Hospital
Department of General, Endocrine and Bariatric Surgery.
Memorial Atasehir Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.