Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul
Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation (616894)
Specialized in: hematology, bone marrow transplantation
About the department
The Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation at the Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital Istanbul offers the full service range in the field of its specialization. It provides effective treatment for diseases of the bone marrow, lymphatic system, blood and immune systems. The department is particularly competent in the treatment of lymphomas, multiple myeloma, acute and chronic leukemia, as well as in the field of bone marrow transplantation. To achieve a complete cure for patients with hematological diseases or to ensure the stable remission, the department's doctors develop optimal treatment regimens, including drug therapy with the most advanced drugs, antibody therapy, targeted therapy, chemotherapy, radiation therapy and bone marrow transplantation. Medical care is provided by experienced doctors and nurses, for whom the health of their patients is the most valuable thing. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Emre Tekgunduz.
The department's clinical practice is focused on the treatment of malignant blood diseases. Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphomas are the most common ones. To detect Hodgkin lymphoma, the department's specialists carry out microscopic examination of the lymph node after its removal. The next stages of diagnostics include computed tomography and bone marrow biopsy. The treatment plan is elaborated for each patient individually, in accordance with the stage of the pathology and prognostic factors (risk factors). At the initial stages of the disease, chemotherapy and irradiation (low doses) are sufficient for a complete cure. At the advanced stages of the disease, modern and rather intensive treatment is required. In the case of Hodgkin lymphoma recurrence, the best treatment option is the high-dose chemotherapy and transplantation of autologous (own) stem cells. In the fight against the recurrence of the pathology, the department's doctors most often use the innovative drug Brentuximab vedotin with antibodies.
Non-Hodgkin lymphomas include about 30 diseases with different etiology, progression rate, and symptomatology. In this regard, the department's medical team pays special attention to high-quality diagnostics, including immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry and molecular diagnostic techniques. All subtypes of non-Hodgkin lymphomas are treated with chemotherapy. However, the treatment with antibiotics, without chemotherapy (only in some clinical cases) is possible nowadays. The department's doctors have deep knowledge and extensive experience in accurate determination of the non-Hodgkin lymphoma subtype, as well as in elaboration of the optimal and unique treatment scheme for each patient.
The department's specialists also successfully carry out treatment in such malignant pathologies as multiple myeloma, leukemia, myelodysplastic syndrome, and myeloproliferative diseases. In addition, the department admits patients with benign pathologies (special focus on aplastic anemia and various deteriorations of the immune system).
It should be noted that the department belongs to the leading specialized Bone Marrow Transplantation Centers and meets the international JACIE criteria. This treatment method allows the doctors to cope with life-threatening malignant diseases – multiple myeloma, lymphoma, acute and chronic leukemia. Bone marrow transplantation is also effective for treatment of aplastic anemia. The team of the department's doctors specializes in both autologous and allogeneic transplantations. In the first case, the patient's own stem cells are transplanted, and in the second case – donor cells (from related and unrelated donors). In order to harvest stem cells, the department's doctors use the apheresis procedure. Stem cells are transferred via vascular access – the cells find the bone marrow, fixe in it and initiate the production of blood cells. Thus, bone marrow transplantation is performed without any surgical manipulations, which is an undeniable advantage for the patient. The key stage of the treatment is the accurate monitoring of the patient’s state after the procedure in order to prevent anemia, infections and haemorrhages.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of Hodgkin lymphoma
- Diagnostics and treatment of non-Hodgkin lymphomas
- Diagnostics and treatment of multiple myeloma
- Diagnostics and treatment of leukemia
- Acute myeloid leukemia (AML)
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL)
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL)
- Chronic myeloid leukemia (CML)
- Diagnostics and treatment of myelodysplastic syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of myeloproliferative disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of anemias
- Diagnostics and treatment of functional and quantitative abnormalities of leukocytes, erythrocytes and platelets
- Diagnostics and treatment of blood-clotting disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of deteriorations of the immune system
- Bone marrow transplantation
- Autologous bone marrow transplantation (patient's own stem cells)
- Allogeneic bone marrow transplantation (donor stem cells)
- Other medical services
- Since 2018 Head of the Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation at the Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital Istanbul.
- 2012 - 2017 Deputy Head of the Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation at the Cancer Clinic in Ankara.
- 2009 - 2018 Medical Specialist in Internal Diseases and Hematology, Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation at the Cancer Clinic in Ankara.
- 2004 - 2009 Medical Specialist in Internal Diseases, Section of Internal Medicine, Section of Hematology, Faculty of Medicine at the Trakia University.
- 1999 - 2003 Medical Specialist in Internal Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Cerrahpaşa Faculty of Medicine at the Istanbul University.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2004 - 2009 Training for becoming Medical Specialist in Hematology, Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Hematology, Faculty of Medicine at the Trakia University.
- 1999 - 2003 Training for becoming Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Cerrahpaşa Faculty of Medicine at the Istanbul University.
- 1992 - 1998 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine at the Istanbul University.
- 72 scientific publications in national and international journals.
- 42 reports at international congresses.
- 125 reports at national congresses.
Participation in Congresses, Courses and Symposia
- Participation in over 20 international and over 50 national congresses, courses and symposia.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Turkish Society of Hematology.
- Turkish Society of Apheresis.
- Bone Marrow Transplantation Society.
- Society of Hematologic Oncology.
- European Hematology Association.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital
Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation.
Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.