Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul
Department of Mammology (616900)
Specialized in: mammology
About the department
The Department of Mammology at the Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital Istanbul offers the full service range for the prevention, diagnostics and treatment of breast diseases in women. The department's medical team admits patients with benign and malignant breast pathologies. The focus of the specialists is on the therapy of breast cancer – one of the most common types of oncology in the world. In most cases, surgical resection of the tumor is the basis for the treatment of breast malignant neoplasms. The department's doctors give preference to innovative, sparing surgical methods, which allow them to cure oncology and at the same time preserve the breast. Since cancer is the severe diagnosis and strongly affects the psycho-emotional state of patients, the department also provides competent psychological assistance. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Fatih Aydogan.
The department's specialists believe that the individual approach to each clinical case is the key to a successful treatment of breast cancer. The mammologists consider the wishes of their patients, regularly arrange consultations with the experts in all related disciplines in order to develop optimal treatment schemes. The department uses only the most advanced and the most effective treatment methods for breast cancer.
The surgeons strive to avoid radical breast resection and at the same time achieve persistent remission. In the presence of absolute indications for radical mastectomy, reconstructive interventions are performed for the restoration of aesthetic appearance of the breast and the maintenance of a high quality of life for the patient. At the advanced stages of oncology, the main task of doctors is to achieve the longest possible remission. As a rule, surgery alone is not enough for a complete cure, so the treatment protocol is complemented by chemotherapy, radiation therapy, hormonal therapy, etc. Obviously, the attending physician combines treatment methods based on the individual clinical indications, taking into account the patient's health state, age and other important factors.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign breast diseases
- Benign breast neoplasms (fibroadenomas, lipomas and intraductal papillomas)
- Breast cysts
- Breast abscess
- Plasma breast inflammation
- Traumatic breast injury
- Drug therapy
- Cryotherapy (for example, in fibroadenomas)
- Surgical treatment
- Diagnostics and treatment of breast cancer
- Simple (total) mastectomy – total removal of the breast, including the nipple, but preserving the axillary lymph nodes and pectoral muscles
- Subcutaneous mastectomy – removal of gland tissue while preserving the nipple and areola
- Lymph node surgery
- Reconstructive interventions after radical mastectomy (total breast removal)
- Radiation therapy
- Hormone therapy
- Other services
- Since 2018 Head of the Department of Mammology at the Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital Istanbul.
- 2015 - 2017 Lecturer, Department of Mammology, Cerrahpaşa Faculty of Medicine.
- 2013 - 2015 Research Fellow, Breast Cancer, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, USA.
- 2005 - 2013 Lecturer, Department of Mammology, Cerrahpaşa Medical Faculty.
- 2000 - 2005 Specialized training in General Surgery, Breast Surgery, Thoracic Surgery and Cancer Surgery, Department of Mammology, and Department of Genetics, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, USA.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2000 - 2005 Specialized training in General Surgery, Cerrahpaşa Faculty of Medicine.
- 1993 - 1999 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Uludağ University.
- Published three editions of books ("Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy", "Benign Breast Diseases", "Guide to Breast Cancer Practice").
- 185 scientific publications in national and international journals.
- More than 100 reports at the international and national congresses.
Awards and Honors
- 2016 First Turkish Scientist, who received the American Breast Association Award, Dallas, USA.
- 2015 Award of Merit of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), San Francisco, USA.
- 2012 European Certificate of Breast Surgeon, Valencia, Spain.
- 2012 New Technology Award, British Institute of Radiology, London, UK.
- 2010 Honorable Award for Scientific Publications of the Turkish Surgical Association.
- 2010 Scholarship, 7th European Breast Cancer Conference, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2008 Best Paper Award, Istanbul Breast Cancer Conference and National Breast Cancer Consensus Meeting.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Turkish Surgical Association.
- Istanbul Medical Chamber.
- Turkish Society of Senology.
- American Society of Breast Surgeons.
- Euro-Asian Society of Breast Diseases (EURAMA).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital
Department of Mammology.
Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.