Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul
Department of Thoracic Surgery (616909)
Specialized in: thoracic surgery
About the department
The Department of Thoracic Surgery at the Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital Istanbul offers all the options of modern medicine for the surgical treatment of thoracic diseases, except heart. The department pays special attention to the diagnostics and treatment of lung cancer and other malignancies of the respiratory system. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Adnan Sayar.
Prior to the appointment of the operation, the patient undergoes comprehensive diagnostics, including laboratory tests, mediastinoscopy, bronchoscopy, CT, MRI, etc. With the available diagnostic results, the attending physician selects the optimal surgical technique. The preference is always given to sparing interventions, which do not require thoracotomy.
Most surgical interventions are performed using the very latest surgical techniques – video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery. When performing the operation, the surgeon uses a special instrument called a thoracoscope, as well as an advanced optical system, which allows the doctors to imagine the operating field on a large screen. After the analysis of the peculiarities of the operating field, the surgeon resects the tumor, lymph nodes or samples the material for biopsy. The surgical instruments and a camera are inserted through small incisions in the thoracic wall. The advantage of the technique is that only a few miniature incisions must be made during the operation, which significantly reduces the probability of wound infection. In addition, such therapeutic manipulation can accelerate the postoperative recovery and wound healing.
The patients with such oncological diseases as lung cancer, pleural mesothelioma, bronchogenic cancer and tumors of other respiratory organs are treated with the participation of all necessary specialists in related fields. Oncologists, pulmonologists, radiation therapists, chemotherapists, etc. are involved in the therapeutic process. They jointly develop an effective individual treatment regimen, taking into account the stage of the pathology, clinical indications, general condition of the patient, etc. If necessary, patients receive psychological support.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of lung cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of pleural mesothelioma
- Diagnostics and treatment of esophageal cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of bronchogenic carcinoma
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary emphysema
- Diagnostics and treatment of chest wall tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital and acquired chest wall defects
- Diagnostics and treatment of hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Diagnostics and treatment of other thoracic diseases
- Since 2018 Head of the Department of Thoracic Surgery at the Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital Istanbul.
- Since 2015 Thoracic Surgeon in the Department of Thoracic Surgery at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul.
- 2013 - 2015 Lecturer in the Department of Thoracic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Erzincan University.
- 2011 - 2015 Surgeon in the Lung Transplant Center, Yedikule Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery Training and Research Hospital.
- 2010 - 2015 Head of the Department of Thoracic Surgery, Yedikule Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery Training and Research Hospital.
- 2008 - 2010 Thoracic Surgeon, Department of Thoracic Surgery and Lung Transplantation at the University Hospital Zurich.
- 1995 - 2008 Thoracic Surgeon, Yedikule Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery Training and Research Hospital.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2013 Professorship, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2008 Assistant Professorship, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 1991 - 1995 Residency, Yedikule Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery Training and Research Hospital.
- 1981 - 1987 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine at the Istanbul University.
- 38 international scientific publications and numerous national scientific publications, as well as oral presentations at the congresses.
Advanced Training Courses
- 2014 Course on ex vivo lung perfusion, Lund University, Sweden.
- 2012 Course on living donor lung transplantation, Department of Thoracic Surgery, Kyoto University, Japan.
- 2008 Course in lung transplantation, Department of Thoracic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Zurich.
Awards and Honors
- 2014 Doctor of the Year Award.
- 2011 Travel Grant from the European Society of Thoracic Surgeons (ESTS).
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Donation to Life Association.
- Turkish Society of Thoracic Surgery.
- Turkish Respiratory Society.
- European Society of Thoracic Surgery (ESTS).
- Member of the Scientific Council for Lung Transplantation of the Ministry of Health.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital
Department of Thoracic Surgery.
Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.