Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (616916)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric otolaryngology, head and neck surgery
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at the Memorial Bahсelievler Hospital Istanbul offers comprehensive diagnostics and treatment of the full range of diseases of the ear, nose, throat, as well as head and neck neoplasms. Particular attention is paid to the treatment of young patients with ENT diseases. The department provides both conservative and surgical treatment. Should surgical treatment be required, the doctors use sparing microscopic and endoscopic surgical techniques, if possible. Such an approach significantly reduces the patient's postoperative recovery period. The department's specialists work on advanced medical equipment, which in combination with their professionalism and vast experience, guarantees excellent results even in particularly complex clinical cases. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Serkan Orhan.
The department's ENT doctors specialize in the treatment of nasal and paranasal diseases. THe surgical treatment of these pathologies is carried out using endoscopic and microsurgical techniques, which allow the doctors to avoid large incisions and severe trauma to the nasal cavity. The most common diseases among the department's patients are maxillary sinusitis, polyps and cysts of the nose and paranasal sinuses, tumors of the nasopharyngeal and paranasal sinuses, septal curvature, rhinitides, including allergic ones. In addition, the department successfully performs rhinoplasty – operation for nose reshaping, including at the patient's own request (in cooperation with the Department of Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery).
Another equally important focus of the department's medical team is the diagnostics and treatment of ear diseases. To diagnose hearing disorders, the doctors use such examinations as tone audiometry, tympanometry, acoustic impedance measurement, assessment of otoacoustic emission, recording of auditory evoked potentials, etc. The diagnostic examinations help the attending physician to objectively assess the condition of the patient's auditory system and detect the slightest irregularities in its work. During the treatment, the preference is given to conservative therapy using injectable medicines and pills, ear drops, etc. However, in some cases, surgery is required. The department's specialists have excellent qualifications in cochlear implantation for the treatment of sensorineural hearing loss, plastic surgery of the middle ear and tympanic membrane to improve hearing, ossiculoplasty for the restoration of auditory ossicles with special prostheses and many other operations.
The patients with head and neck tumors are provided with interdisciplinary treatment with the participation of otolaryngologists, oncologists, surgeons, radiation therapists, chemotherapists and other highly specialized experts. The treatment regimen for each patient is developed individually. The doctors take into account the localization of the tumor, the stage of the oncological process, the presence of concomitant pathologies and the general health condition of the patient. As a rule, a combination of several therapeutic methods is required for achievement of an optimal treatment outcome. The treatment is mostly based on surgical resection of the tumor, which is complemented by chemotherapy or radiation therapy, depending on the particular clinical case.
The competence of the department's pediatric otolaryngologists includes diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the ears, nose and throat in young patients. The department's medical team ensures as painless as possible treatment for the child. At the same time, the doctors aim to restore hearing as much as possible and prevent communication disorders. The department has excellent medical and technical resources for the treatment of children with ENT pathologies of varying severity – from hearing disorders, otitis media, sinusitis, ear, throat and nose infections, swallowing disorders to benign and malignant neoplasms of the head and neck, including tumors of the ear throat and nose.
The department's clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of ear diseases
- Sensorineural hearing loss
- Meniere's disease
- Auricular furuncles
- Auricular tumors
- Hearing loss
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses
- Maxillary sinusitis
- Polyps and cysts of the nose and paranasal sinuses
- Nasal septum deviation
- Tumors of the nasopharynx and paranasal sinuses
- Diagnosis and treatment of throat diseases
- Enlarged tonsils
- Laryngeal and pharyngeal tumors
- Vocal cord diseases, including vocal cord paralysis
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the head and neck
- Diagnostics and treatment of snoring
- Diagnostics and treatment of dizziness and balance disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of ENT diseases in children
- Congenital ENT anomalies in children
- Hearing loss
- Nasal breathing disorders
- Benign and malignant tumors of the head and neck
- Ear, nose and throat infections
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Serkan Orhan
- Since 2018 Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at the Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital Istanbul.
- 2017 Otolaryngologist, House Ear Institute, USA.
- 2015 Otolaryngologist, Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, USA.
- 2012 Otolaryngologist, Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital, UK.
- Since 2010 Professor of Otolaryngology, Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University.
- 2009 - 2010 Otolaryngologist, Private Nisa Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2008 - 2009 Otolaryngologist, Medical Park Bahcelievler Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2007 - 2008 Otolaryngologist, Karamürsel Training Center Command, Yalova, Turkey.
- 2005 - 2007 Otolaryngologist, Private Çapa Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2004 - 2005 Otolaryngologist, Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2003 Otolaryngologist, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Nijmegen Hospital, Netherlands.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 1999 - 2004 Specialized training in Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University.
- 1993 - 1999 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine at the Istanbul University.
- More than 80 scientific publications in national and international journals.
- Over 400 citations in international journals.
- More than 70 reports at the national and international congresses.
- 5 surgical techniques published in international journals.
- 6 awards for presentations at the national and international congresses.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Turkish Society of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- Turkish Medical Association
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.