Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul
Department of Nuclear Medicine (623753)
Specialized in: nuclear medicine
About the Department of Nuclear Medicine at Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul
The Department of Nuclear Medicine at the Memorial Bahсelievler Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment using radionuclide drugs. The department mostly diagnoses and treats patients with cancers, diseases of the cardiovascular system, skeletal system, thyroid gland, kidneys, etc. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Akın Yıldız.
The most popular procedures in clinical practice include scintigraphy, SPECT and PET. During the examinations, a radiopharmaceutical is injected intravenously to patients, after which the doctors use a gamma camera or PET system to make a scan. Unlike radiography, the radiation source is a radionuclide pharmaceutical drug, but not the device itself. The department has an excellent medical and technical base, as well as a brilliant professional personnel.
The department's doctors successfully perform diagnostic PET, which allows them to imagine anatomical structures, assess metabolic and physiological processes in the human body. In most cases, PET is used for the diagnostics of cancer, cardiac pathologies and diseases of the nervous system. PET uses short-lived isotopes, so the radiation exposure to a patient is equivalent to several chest x-rays. The radiopharmaceutical emits positrons at the place of accumulation in the body. They interact with electrons, after which an annihilation reaction takes place, causing the release of gamma radiation. During the examination, the patient lies on a movable table, which automatically slides out into the central opening of the scanner. The electronic equipment of the PET scanner registers the detected gamma radiation, due to which the area of accumulation of the radiopharmaceutical is imagined in the scan.
Single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) is also one of the most informative diagnostic examinations in modern medicine. SPECT is most often used if cancer is suspected. With the help of emission tomography, the doctor can detect the areas with impaired metabolism, which is typical for cancer cells. In especially complex clinical cases, SPECT is combined with MRI, which gives the most accurate results.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostic procedures
- Bone scintigraphy
- Liver scintigraphy
- Lung scintigraphy
- Parathyroid scintigraphy
- Thyroid scintigraphy
- Salivary gland scintigraphy
- Kidney scintigraphy
- Myocardial scintigraphy
- Positron emission tomography (PET).
- Single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT).
- Therapeutic procedures
- Radioiodine therapy for thyroid cancer, thyroid hyperfunction
- Radiosynovectomy for the treatment of chronic inflammatory processes in the joints
- Pain therapy with radioactive isotopes for bone metastases
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Akın Yıldız
- Since 2018 Head of the Department of Nuclear Medicine at the Memorial Bahсelievler Hospital Istanbul.
- Since 2011 Work in the Department of Nuclear Medicine at the Medstar Antalya Hospital, Antalya, Turkey.
- 1998 - 2011 Lecturer in Nuclear Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 1997 Specialist in Radiology, Atatürk Education and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey.
- 1992 - 1993 Specialist in Nuclear Medicine, Ankara Oncology Hospital, Ankara, Turkey.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2010 Internship, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, USA.
- 1993 - 1997 Research Internship, Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Dokuz Eylül University, Izmir, Turkey.
- 1988 Research Internship, Nuclear Medicine, Trakya University, Edirne, Turkey.
- 1988 - 1991 Research Internship, Nuclear Medicine, Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey.
- 1981 - 1987 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey.
Awards and Honors
- April 2015 Poster Award, 21st National Cancer Congress.
- March 2013 Best Performance Award, 8th Interventional Radiology Meeting.
- November 2013 Best Performance Award, 34th National Congress of Radiology.
- 2007 Encouraging Award, 12th National Congress of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetology.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Turkish Society of Nuclear Medicine.
- Turkish Society of Radiology.
- European Society of Radiology.
- European Association of Nuclear Medicine.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Bahçelievler Hospital
Department of Nuclear Medicine.
Memorial Bahcelievler Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.