Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation (623798)
Specialized in: pediatric oncology, hematology, bone marrow transplantation
About the Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation at Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul
The Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for young patients with benign and malignant diseases of the hematopoietic system, solid neoplasms of various localization. The department's competence also includes autologous and allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. To provide comprehensive treatment, pediatric oncologists cooperate closely with specialists in the field of pediatric surgery, orthopedics, neurosurgery, otolaryngology, ophthalmology and others. The diagnostics is carried out in cooperation with specialists from the Department of Radiology, which has state-of-the-art imaging equipment. In addition to high-quality medical service, the department provides both young patients and their parents with competent psychological care, the attending physicians also take care of the psychological state of the children. The department is one of the best in the area of its specialization in Turkey and has an excellent reputation abroad. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Atilla Tanyeli.
The decisive factor in the treatment success is accurate diagnostics, which provides the doctors with detailed information about the type of tumor or blood malignancy, the stage of the malignant process, the location and size of solid neoplasms. When developing a treatment regimen, the age of the child and his general state of health are also taken into account.
The main treatment method for solid tumors in children and adults is surgery. The task of the surgeon is to radically remove the tumor. The surgical treatment is carried out using minimally invasive surgical techniques, which minimize the risk of postoperative complications and significantly accelerate the recovery process for young patients. In some cases, it is possible to perform surgical interventions with access through natural openings – the esophagus, the nasal passages. However, the doctors are not always able to destroy all malignant cells during surgery, so the treatment regimen can be supplemented with chemotherapy, targeted therapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy and other methods.
Chemotherapy is the basis of the treatment protocol for lymphomas, leukemias and retinoblastomas. For chemotherapy treatment, the department's specialists use the very latest drugs, which accumulate much faster in tumor cells and do not damage healthy cells. Thus, it is possible to reduce the number of chemotherapy sessions and relieve the child of unnecessary stress. In most cases, the drug is injected directly into the tumor, using a central catheter or port system. The doctors use progressive linear accelerators for radiation therapy, which allow them to carry out high-precision focusing of the maximum dose of radiation on the target area, without harming healthy surrounding tissues.
In the case of hematological malignancies in children, bone marrow transplantation can often be the only effective treatment. The department has an excellent medical and technical base for maximum safety and efficiency of the procedure. The essence of bone marrow transplantation is the extraction of donor material from the patient (autologous transplantation) or from a donor (allogeneic transplantation), after which it is processed. The purified bone marrow cells are injected into the child through the vascular access, after which the patient is isolated in a sterile box in order to prevent the development of infections, haemorrhage and other complications.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of cancers in children
- Head and neck malignancies
- Brain malignancies
- Eye malignancies (especially retinoblastoma)
- Kidney and adrenal gland malignancies
- Soft tissue and bone malignancies
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant blood diseases in children
- Myelodysplastic syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign blood diseases in children
- Aplastic anemia
- Fanconi anaemia
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Diamond-Blackfan anemia
- Wiskott–Aldrich syndrome
- Kostmann's syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of other cancers and hematological diseases
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Atilla Tanyeli
- Since 2016 Work in the Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul.
- 2014 - 2016 Work in the Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, Gaziosmanpasa Hospital of the Yeni Yuzyil University.
- 1987 - 2014 Work in the Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology, Head of the Section for Bone Marrow Transplantation, Hospital at the Çukurova University.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 1996 Professorship.
- 1989 - 1996 Assistant Professorship.
- 1978 - 1983 Specialized training in Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Çukurova University.
- 1972 - 1978 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine at the Istanbul University.
- More than 50 articles in international journals.
- More than 1,000 articles in Turkish journals.
- Authorship of book chapters.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation.
- American Society of Hematology.
- European Hematology Association.
- International Society of Paediatric Oncology.
- Non-profit JACIE organization for accreditation of medical facilities specializing in bone marrow transplantation.
- Turkish Pediatric Oncology Group.
- Turkish Society of Pediatric Hematology.
- Turkish Pediatric Association.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Şişli Hospital
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation.
Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.