Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul
Department of Urology and Andrology (623803)
Specialized in: urology, andrology
About the department
The Department of Urology and Andrology at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul offers comprehensive diagnostics and effective treatment of the full spectrum of diseases of the genital organs in men, as well as the urinary system in men and women. Andrology specialists deal with the treatment of male infertility, erectile dysfunction, ejaculation disorders, age-related changes in men, etc. One of the key focuses of the department's work is the treatment of oncological diseases of the genitourinary system in men. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Murat Binbay.
The department's medical team is distinguished by exceptional professionalism in their area of expertise and regularly demonstrates excellent treatment success rates. The doctors work on advanced medical equipment that allows them to detect the slightest pathological changes and effectively carry out surgical treatment using endoscopic, laparoscopic and robotic techniques, which guarantee quick postoperative recovery and minimal risks of complications after the intervention.
The specialists of the department consider the accurate diagnostics as the key to successful treatment. This is especially true of oncological diseases, in which the attending physician needs to have reliable information about the type of tumor, its location and size, stage of the process, etc. It is these factors that determine exactly what the upcoming treatment will be. The most common cancer in urology is prostate cancer. The patients with suspicion of this diagnosis undergo a PSA test, which, if necessary, can be supplemented with fusion biopsy with simultaneous reproduction of MRI and ultrasound scans. It is these studies that are optimal for accurate confirmation or exclusion of a malignant process in the prostate gland. The prostate cancer treatment is based on prostatectomy – an operation to totally or partially remove the prostate gland. In addition to surgery, the department's doctors often include chemotherapy or radiation therapy in the treatment protocol. The department also provides innovative therapy using HIFU (high-intensity focused ultrasound) technology. This type of treatment is available only in modern medical facilities in developed countries. The essence of the method is that ultrasound waves are precisely focused on the tumor. Under the influence of ultrasound waves, the tumor is heated to high temperatures and as a result it is destroyed. It is noteworthy that the technology eliminates damage to the adjacent healthy tissues. The exceptional accuracy (up to 1 mm) when affecting the tumor is achieved through the use of an MR tomograph. It should be noted that the HIFU method is also effectively practiced as a palliative therapy in patients with bone metastases.
The specialists of the department often admit men with andrological problems for treatment. One of the most common among them is male infertility. The main method for diagnosing infertility in men is a spermogram – a qualitative and quantitative assessment of sperm. When confirming the diagnosis of infertility, the attending physician begins to search for the cause of the development of this pathological condition. It is the exact definition of the infertility factor or factors that will allow a man to undergo an effective course of treatment and have children in the future. Infertility in men can develop due to hormonal disorders, varicocele, undescended testes, infectious processes, etc. The doctors of the department successfully treat infertility even in the most difficult clinical cases and give their patients the joy of fatherhood. In addition, the andrologists often provide medical care to men with erectile dysfunction and ejaculation disorders.
The department's main clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of oncological diseases of the urological spectrum
- Prostate cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Penile cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory diseases of the urinary system
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney stone disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of prostatitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary incontinence
- Diagnostics and treatment of andrologic disorders in men
- Male infertility
- Erectile dysfunction
- Ejaculation disorders
- Structural deformities of the penis
- Decreased libido
- Venereal diseases
- Age-related changes affecting men's health
- Diagnostics and treatment of other urologic pathologies
The therapeutic options of the department include:
- Conservative treatment
- Drug therapy
- Chemotherapy, radiation therapy and HIFU therapy for cancer of the genitourinary system in men
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy for kidney stone disease
- Surgical treatment
- Endoscopic interventions
- Laparoscopic interventions
- Robot-assisted surgery
- Reconstructive plastic surgery for urethral trauma
- Other treatments
- Since 2017 Head of the Department of Urology and Andrology at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2015 - 2017 Training Supervisor, Department of Urology, Haseki Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2013 - 2015 Training Supervisor, Department of Urology, Bağcılar Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2013 - 2017 Specialist in robot-assisted surgery, Department of Urology, Mehmet Akif Ersoy Training Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2011 Highly specialized Training in Endoscopic Urology, Department of Urology, Duke University School of Medicine, USA.
- 2007 Highly specialized training in Urologic Oncology, Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium.
- 2006 - 2013 Urologist, Department of Urology, Haseki Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2005 - 2006 Urologist, Military Hospital in Malatya, Turkey.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2000 - 2005 Specialized training in Urology, Haseki Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 1993 - 1999 Study of Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine at Istanbul University.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- European Society of Residents in Urology (ESRU), Turkish Office (Founding Board Member and Vice President).
- International Young Urological Association (Founder and Vice President).
- Turkish Medical Association.
- Turkish Society of Andrology.
- Turkish Society of Endourology.
- Turkish Society of Urology.
- European Association of Urology.
- American Urological Association.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Memorial Şişli Hospital
Department of Urology and Andrology.
Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.