Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul
Department of Pediatric Urology (626404)
Specialized in: pediatric urology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Urology at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of modern medical services for the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the genitourinary system in boys. The specialists of the department mostly admit patients with congenital urologic pathologies for treatment. The department has state-of-the-art technical equipment for minimally invasive, endoscopic and robot-assisted interventions, which are characterized by minimal trauma and are performed through several small incisions. Thanks to the use of such innovative techniques, the postoperative recovery of the child is significantly reduced, and severe pain syndrome is also excluded. The doctors of the department get along well with children and do their best to make young patients feel comfortable and not to have fear about the upcoming treatment.
The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Abdurrahman Onen. The doctor is one of the best specialists in Turkey in his field of expertise and has tremendous experience in the treatment of urological diseases of varying severity in children. The professor underwent training in renowned hospitals in the USA and the Netherlands, and is a member of professional societies of pediatric urology in Turkey, Europe and the USA.
The treatment begins with communication of the attending physician with the parents and the young patient. During the consultation, the doctor clarifies the child's complaints, studies his anamnesis, conducts a clinical examination, prescribes the necessary complex of diagnostic studies to make an accurate diagnosis and develop an optimal treatment regimen. The main diagnostic methods in pediatric urology include ultrasound, urodynamic testing, cystourethrography, CT and MRI scans, blood tests and urinalysis, and others. In some cases, a specialist can identify a congenital pathology already during a clinical examination.
The department's medical team uses conservative treatment methods as the first line therapy. For example, urinary tract infections, urinary disorders, nocturnal enuresis, kidney stone disease do not require surgery. For these pathologies, the doctors mainly use drugs, progressive stone crushing systems and other conservative techniques. In the case of detection of hypospadias, cryptorchidism, undescended testicle or malformations of the genitourinary system, the most frequent treatment is surgery. Due to the fact that the department has excellent infrastructure, the interventions are performed using sparing laparoscopic and robot-assisted techniques. The operations are often outpatient, and young patients do not need hospitalization.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary tract infections
- Diagnostics and treatment of hypospadias
- Diagnostics and treatment of hydrocele
- Diagnostics and treatment of cryptorchidism (undescended testicle)
- Diagnostics and treatment of varicocele
- Diagnostics and treatment of vesicoureteral reflux
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney stone disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary tract obstruction
- Diagnostics and treatment of enuresis in boys
- Diagnostics and treatment of bladder exstrophy
- Diagnostics and treatment of epispadias
- Diagnostics and treatment of other urologic diseases in children
- Since 2015 Chief Physician of the Department of Pediatric Urology at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul, Istanbul. Turkey.
- 2011 - 2018 Pediatric Urology Specialist, Department of Pediatric Urology, Memorial Diyarbakir Hospital, Diyarbakir, Turkey.
- 2007 Pediatric Urology Specialist, Pittsburgh Children's Hospital, USA.
- 2007 - 2011 Specialist in Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Urology, Hospital at Dicle University, Diyarbakir, Turkey.
- 2005 Pediatric Urology Specialist, University of Groningen, the Netherlands.
- 2000 - 2007 Specialist in Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Urology, Hospital at Dicle University, Diyarbakir, Turkey.
- 1999 - 2000 Pediatric Urology Specialist, Children's Hospital in Columbus, USA.
- 1997 - 1999 Pediatric Surgery Specialist, Hospital at Dicle University, Diyarbakir, Turkey.
- 1991 - 1992 Practitioner, Gerede Macarlar Health Unit, Bolu, Turkey.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 1996 Highly specialized training in Pediatric Surgery, Cerrahpaşa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 1992 - 1997 Specialized training in Pediatric Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Dicle University, Diyarbakir, Turkey.
- 1985 - 1991 Study of Human Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine of Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- European Society for Paediatric Urology (ESPU).
- 2000 American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Section of Pediatric Urology.
- 2005 Society for Fetal Urology (SFU).
- 1996 Turkish Society of Pediatric Surgery.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Şişli Hospital
Department of Pediatric Urology.
Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.