Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Hand, Foot Surgery and Spinal Surgery (627869)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric orthopedics, traumatology, hand, foot surgery, spinal surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Hand, Foot Surgery and Spinal Surgery at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of modern diagnostic and treatment methods for patients with diseases and injuries of the musculoskeletal system, including sports injuries. The special focus in clinical practice is on arthroscopic interventions on the knee, shoulder, elbow, wrist and ankle joints, on the treatment of hand and foot diseases, as well as on the treatment of osteomyelitis and correction of unequal leg length. The department's doctors have in their arsenal the most effective classical and innovative treatment methods, which are successfully applied in developed countries with the highest level of medicine. The department has progressive operating rooms for surgical treatment of both simple and especially complex orthopedic diseases. Each patient can undergo comprehensive treatment in accordance with modern medical standards, taking into account his individual needs and wishes. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Mehmet Alp.
The department has the status of one of the best in Turkey in arthroscopic interventions for knee, shoulder, elbow, wrist and ankle diseases. Arthroscopic interventions are minimally invasive procedures for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. As a rule, the interventions are performed on an outpatient basis, under general or local anesthesia. The duration of the surgery is about 1 hour. The surgeon makes only a few small incisions, allowing the patient to recover from surgery in the shortest possible time. Arthroscopic interventions are characterized by minimal invasiveness and a low risk of postoperative complications. When performing the operation, the surgeon can fully assess the state of the articular cavity from the inside, which increases the efficiency of the intervention as compared to classical open surgery. The department's operating rooms are fitted out with state-of-the-art equipment for arthroscopic procedures, while the surgeons who perform surgery have certificates on specialized training in this medical field. This contributes to the high success rates of arthroscopic surgery in the department.
The department's specialists are also distinguished by rich experience in the correction of unequal leg length and in the treatment of fractures using the Ilizarov apparatus. The principle of the device functioning is quite simple – special metal wires are inserted through the skin into the broken bones at a right angle. The orthopedic surgeon pulls the needles tightly and fixes them in two rings connected by four rods. This device provides reliable bonding of bone fragments. On the second day after surgery, the patient can get out of his bed. A huge advantage of the Ilizarov apparatus is that it helps the patient to walk – this allows the patient to train muscles and improve blood circulation in the lower limbs. Thanks to this, the patient recovers much quicker. The department's specialists also often combine external fixation using Ilizarov apparatus with internal fixation with an intramedullary rod.
The department's service range is complemented by surgical treatment of hand diseases. Microsurgical interventions on the hand are performed by specially trained surgeons in this field of orthopedics. The main goal of the treatment of hand diseases is to eliminate pain and improve motor skills. Before the prescription of a particular operation, the patient undergoes comprehensive diagnostics, which includes CT and MRI scans, ultrasound scanning of soft tissues and joints, electroneuromyography for assessment of the condition of nerve endings in the hand and fingers and other tests. According to the information obtained, the surgeon decides on the optimal type of operation. If possible, the interventions are performed using endoscopic techniques, which guarantee minimal trauma. The department's surgeons mostly treat patients with carpal tunnel syndrome, Dupuytren's contracture, trigger fingers, rheumatoid arthritis and other pathologies.
The department's team of orthopedic doctors and traumatologists also specializes in the treatment of musculoskeletal diseases in children and adolescents. The department admits young patients under the age of 16 and is one of the few specialized medical facilities of this kind throughout Turkey. The department's doctors treat congenital deformities and developmental disorders of the musculoskeletal system, gait abnormalities, foot and hand deformities, hip dysplasia and other pathologies.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Knee, shoulder, elbow, wrist and ankle arthroscopic surgery
- Treatment of bone fractures and correction of unequal leg length using the Ilizarov apparatus and its combination with intramedullary osteosynthesis
- Treatment of benign and malignant musculoskeletal tumors
- Treatment of musculoskeletal injuries, including sports injuries
- Hand surgery
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Dupuytren's contracture
- Trigger fingers
- Hand tumors
- Flexor and extensor tendon injuries
- Injuries of the peripheral vessels and nerve endings of the hand
- Burns and frostbite of the fingers, including their complications
- Foot surgery
- Flat feet
- Hollow foot
- Achilles tendon rupture
- Heel spur
- Congenital foot deformities
- Ankle diseases
- Hammer toe
- Spinal surgery
- Spondylolisthesis (vertebral displacement)
- Spinal instability
- Spinal fractures
- Treatment of orthopedic diseases and injuries in children and adolescents
- Congenital deformities and developmental disorders of the musculoskeletal system
- Gait abnormalities
- Foot and ankle diseases
- Hip dysplasia
- Bone fractures and other musculoskeletal injuries
- Other medical services
- Since 2011 Work in the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Hand, Foot Surgery and Spinal Surgery at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 1995 - 2013 Specialist in Hand Surgery and Microsurgery, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 1992 - 1994 Specialist in Hand Surgery and Microsurgery, VKV Amerikan Hastanesi, Istanbul, Turkey.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2013 Professorship in Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- 2006 Assistant Professorship in Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- 1985 - 1990 Specialized training in Orthopedics and Traumatology, Cerrahpaşa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 1979 - 1985 Study of Human Medicine, Cerrahpaşa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey.
Awards and Honors
- 1998 Best Clinical Research Award, 6th National Congress of Hand Surgery.
- 2001 Best Oral Presentation Award, 17th National Congress of Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- 9 articles in international scientific journals.
- 16 articles in Turkish scientific journals.
Advanced Training Courses
- 1994 Course on Flap Plastic Surgery, Canniesburn Hospital, Scotland.
- 1994 Course on Brachial Plexus and Peripheral Nerve Surgery, Cologne, Germany.
- 2004 Course on Hand and Wrist Surgery, Oberdorf, Switzerland.
- 2008 Basic Course on Wrist Arthroscopy, Strasbourg, France.
- 2008 Course on Shoulder Arthroscopy, Strasbourg, France.
Memberships in professional societies
- Turkish Medical Association.
- Turkish Society of Orthopaedics and Traumatology (TOTBID).
- Turkish Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery.
- Turkish Society for Surgery of the Hand and Upper Extremity.
- Federation of European Societies for the Surgery of the Hand (FESSH).
- International Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand (IFSSH).
- European Federation of Societies for Microsurgery (EFSM).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Sisli Hospital
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Hand, Foot Surgery and Spinal Surgery.
Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.