Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul
Department of Neurology and Epileptology (646871)
Specialized in: neurology, epileptology
About the department
The Department of Neurology and Epileptology at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of medical services for the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. The department successfully uses modern and most effective treatments for headache, movement disorders, cerebrovascular diseases, epilepsy, back pain, muscle pain, dizziness, dementia and other neurological pathologies. To provide the accurate diagnostics, the department has a huge arsenal of high-precision studies, including electroencephalography, electromyography, recording of evoked potentials, radiography, computed and magnetic resonance imaging, ultrasound Doppler scanning of the vessels of the head and neck, etc. A highly qualified team of experienced doctors takes care of the health of the nervous system of patients. Most of them have undergone postgraduate training in renowned medical centers in America and Europe, thanks to which they have unique skills and deep knowledge in their field of competence. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Feza Deymeer.
When a patient is admitted to the clinic, his attending physician conducts a consultation, during which he asks the patient about his complaints, studies his anamnesis and assesses the neurological status. The anamnesis, neurological and general clinical examinations of the patient give the doctor enough data to make a preliminary diagnosis, but additional studies are required to confirm it. These may include imaging diagnostics using radiography, CT and MRI scans, cerebral angiography, lumbar puncture and other diagnostic tests. After assessing all the diagnostic results, the doctor makes the final diagnosis and develops the optimal treatment regimen. In especially complex clinical cases, the specialists in the field of neurosurgery and neuroradiology can be involved.
The department's priority focus is on the treatment of cerebrovascular diseases, which can lead to irreversible changes in the functioning of the brain or even cause death. The specialists mostly have to deal with a stroke. The department's therapeutic options include both drug treatment and endovascular procedures to eliminate cerebrovascular accidents. Since the successful treatment of stroke and the prevention of its consequences requires the prompt organization of medical care, therapy is urgent. The department has all the necessary diagnostic and therapeutic equipment for the quick diagnostics and timely initiation of therapy. Most stroke patients are treated with antiplatelet therapy, anticoagulant therapy, and undergo endovascular interventions to place a stent or remove a blood clot by inserting a catheter into a major artery. After all the therapeutic measures, the patient requires professional neurological rehabilitation.
The department's team of neurologists has a unique experience in epilepsy treatment. The pathology leads to the impaired brain functioning, causes seizures and loss of consciousness. To diagnose epilepsy, the doctors conduct studies, such as electroencephalography, laboratory tests, and functional magnetic resonance imaging. The department's specialists always try to provide treatment using conservative methods, such as drug therapy and/or vagus nerve stimulation. However, particularly complex clinical situations require a surgical intervention, which is performed in the Department of Neurosurgery. The treatment tactics are developed for each patient individually, taking into account his clinical indications, needs and wishes. The department's specialists provide effective medical care at any stage of the disease and make every effort to improve the quality of life of the patient suffering from epilepsy.
The competence of the department's doctors also includes the treatment of neuromuscular disorders, which is provided within a specialized center. The use of an integrated approach and innovative methods of therapy allows the department's specialists to successfully cure such diseases as muscular dystrophies, myopathy, myositis, myalgia, neuropathy, myasthenia gravis and others. To identify neuromuscular disorders, the department's specialists conduct diagnostic tests such as electromyography, blood tests, muscle biopsy and genetic tests.
In addition, the department's neurologists provide effective treatment for Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease, which most often affect the elderly. Parkinson's disease cannot be completely cured, but the use of the very latest therapeutic developments and drugs of the last generation helps relieve the symptoms of the disease and achieve long-term remission. In addition to drug therapy, the department's team of neurologists successfully uses transcranial magnetic stimulation. The procedure is absolutely painless, but at the same time it allows reducing the severity of tremor, which is one of the main symptoms of the pathology. Alzheimer's disease is also incurable, so the main goal of treatment is to relieve symptoms and improve the patient's quality of life. For these purposes, the department's specialists competently combine modern medicines with electromagnetic therapy.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of cerebrovascular diseases
- Intracerebral hemorrhage
- Ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke
- Diagnostics and treatment of epilepsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuromuscular disorders
- Becker muscular dystrophy
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Myotonic dystrophy
- Congenital myopathies
- Metabolic myopathies
- Mitochondrial diseases
- Inflammatory muscle diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of headaches, including migraines
- Diagnostics and treatment of peripheral nerve disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of multiple sclerosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of Parkinson's disease
- Diagnostics and Treatment of Alzheimer's disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of brain and spinal cord tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of sleep disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of dizziness
- Diagnostics and treatment of other neurological disorders
- Since 2016 Head of the Department of Neurology and Epileptology at the Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul.
- 1996 Associate Professor at the Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University.
- 1996 - 2016 Professor for Neuromuscular Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University.
- 1986 - 1988 Neurologist, Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University.
Higher Education and PostgraduateTraining
- 1991 - 1992 Internship, Minor Specialist in Electromyography, Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, USA.
- 1984 - 1985 Internship, Minor Specialist for Electroencephalography, University of Massachusetts, USA.
- 1982 - 1984 Specialized Training in Epidemiology / Research Fellow in Neuroepidemiology, Faculty of Public Health, Harvard University, USA.
- 1978 - 1982 Specialized training in Neurology, University of Massachusetts, USA.
- 1971 - 1977 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University.
Awards and Honors
- Gaetano Conte Academy Award, Mediterranean Society of Myology.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Istanbul Medical Chamber.
- Turkish Neurological Society.
- American Academy of Neurology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Memorial Şişli Hospital
Department of Neurology and Epileptology.
Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.