Meoclinic Hospital Berlin
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology (696202)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric otolaryngology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology at Meoclinic Hospital Berlin
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology at the Meoclinic Hospital Berlin offers the full range of services for the diagnostics and treatment of ENT diseases. The department's team of doctors pays due attention to the treatment of acute and inflammatory diseases of the nose and paranasal sinuses, pathologies of the ear, oral cavity, pharynx, salivary glands and larynx. The department provides medical care for both adults and children. The department has modern operating rooms, where surgeons perform surgical treatment of complex ENT conditions using endoscopic, microsurgical and open surgical techniques. The medical facility also offers advanced technologies for the examination of ENT organs, including equipment for rhinoscopy, otoscopy, X-ray scanning, ultrasound scanning, and magnetic resonance imaging. The department's specialists always strive to provide high-quality treatment and meet all the patient's needs. In addition, otolaryngologists guarantee an individual approach to each clinical case, which contributes to the achievement of the best therapeutic results. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Markus Jungehülsing.
The department's medical team often admits patients with ear pathologies and hearing loss. In addition, patients suffering from infectious diseases such as otitis media seek medical help in the department. These pathologies respond well to antibiotics. In addition, a common complaint in the department's clinical practice is hearing impairment or its complete loss. In this case, the doctors of the medical facility primarily focus on comprehensive diagnostics to detect the causes of hearing loss. Depending on the diagnostic data obtained, further therapeutic measures are determined to improve hearing and improve the patient's quality of life. In some cases, it is enough to select the optimal hearing aid, but often hearing improvement surgery is also required. The department's otolaryngologists specialize in type I, II and III tympanoplasty, stapedectomy and stapedoplasty. Such operations are performed in both adults and children. When performing interventions, the department's surgeons use microsurgical techniques, which can significantly reduce the period of hospitalization – in most cases it is only 3-5 days.
The treatment of pathologies of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses also occupies an important place in the department's clinical practice. The most common diagnoses in this field of otolaryngology include rhinitis, including allergic one, sinusitis, frontal sinusitis and nasal polyps. The doctors of the medical facility also specialize in the surgical repair of the deviated nasal septum (septoplasty, septorhinoplasty), surgery for nasal and paranasal polyp resection, operations for nasal concha reduction in case of hyperplasia. During the above mentioned operations, sparing microsurgical and endoscopic techniques are used. Prior to the intervention, the doctor tells the patient about the upcoming treatment, the stages of the operation and the expected results. After surgical treatment, the patient receives high quality care and the necessary recommendations.
The department's therapeutic offer is complemented by the treatment of pathologies of the oropharynx and throat: putrid throat, tonsillitis, swallowing disorders, mononucleosis, lateral and medial neck cysts and fistulas, as well as other diseases. Whenever possible, conservative therapy is preferred. If necessary, the department's specialists also perform surgical interventions. The department often performs surgery to remove nasopharyngeal tonsils in children (adenotomy). These operations are performed under general anesthesia. In most cases, there is no need for hospitalization, so the procedure is performed on an outpatient basis. The duration of the intervention is only 10-15 minutes. The department's surgeons also successfully perform operations to remove neck lymph nodes (for example, in case of cancer), operations on the vocal cords (for example, in case of vocal cord polyps, malignant neoplasms of the vocal cords, cysts and vocal cord swelling), operations to remove lateral and medial neck cysts and fistulas, operations to treat snoring (uvuloplasty).
The department's range of surgical services includes:
- Operations on the outer and inner ear
- Hearing improvement surgery
- Types I, II and III tympanoplasty
- Ear reshaping (otoplasty)
- Parotidectomy (parotid salivary gland removal)
- Auditory meatus augmentation
- Surgical closure of chronic tympanic membrane perforation
- Sanitation for chronic rhinitis
- Hearing improvement surgery
- Operations on the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses
- Operations for nasal cavity and paranasal sinus polyp resection
- Operations for nasal concha reduction in case of hyperplasia
- Oropharyngeal surgery
- Adenoidectomy in adults and children
- Operations for neck lymph node removal
- Operations on the vocal cords
- Surgical removal of lateral and medial neck cysts and fistulas
- Laryngeal surgery
- Laryngectomy (partial and total)
- Facial surgery
- Removal of basaliomas in the head and neck
- Surgical treatment of chronic facial paralysis
- Surgical resection of benign and malignant head and neck tumors
- Other types of surgical interventions
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Markus Jungehülsing
University Education and Professional Career
- 1982 - 1988 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Cologne.
- 1988 - 1991 Assistant Physician in the Department of Nuclear Medicine at the University Hospital Cologne.
- 1991 - 1995 Assistant Physician in the Department of Otolaryngology at the University Hospital Cologne.
- 1996 - 2001 Senior Physician in the Department of Otolaryngology at the University Hospital Cologne.
- Since 2001 Head Physician in the Department of Otolaryngology at the Ernst von Bergmann Hospital Potsdam.
- Since 2006 Treasurer of the North German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- Since 2006 Secretary of the Berlin Otolaryngology Society.
- Since 06.2007 Director of the Head and Neck Surgery Center at the Ernst von Bergmann Hospital Potsdam.
- 03.2008 Honorary Professor of the Faculty of Humanities at the University of Potsdam.
- 2014 President of the North German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- 2018 Secretary of the Working Group on Pediatric Otolaryngology of the German Society for Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
Key Clinical Focuses
- Surgical interventions in the neck: adenotomy, lymph node removal, vocal cord surgery, uvuloplasty, removal of median and lateral cysts and fistulas in the neck, biopsy.
- Surgical interventions in the nasal cavity: septoplasty, septorhinoplasty, paranasal sinus surgery, nasal septum straightening, nasal concha reduction.
- Surgical interventions in the ears: hearing improvement surgery, ear plastic surgery, mastoidectomy, parotidectomy, plastic surgery for ear canal dilation, closure of chronic perforations of the tympanic membrane.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Meoclinic
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology.
Meoclinic Hospital Berlin:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.