Merian Iselin Clinic Basel
Department of General Surgery (114105)
Specialized in: general surgery
About the Department of General Surgery at Merian Iselin Clinic Basel
The Department of General Surgery at the Merian Iselin Clinic Basel offers the full range of surgical treatment of abdominal organs, including the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, liver, pancreas, gallbladder and bile ducts, as well as endocrine organs – thyroid gland, parathyroid glands and adrenal glands. The surgical interventions are performed in perfectly equipped operating rooms. With appropriate clinical indications, the doctors perform sparing minimally invasive operations, which allow the patient to recover in a few days. The Chief Physician of the department is Dr. med. Christoph Ackermann.
The surgical spectrum of the department includes:
- Stomach surgery
- Peptic ulcer
- Stomach malignancies
- Esophageal surgery
- Zenker's diverticulum
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Esophageal malignancies
- Pancreatic surgery
- Tumor resection surgery
- Surgical treatment of chronic pancreatitis
- Biliary tract surgery
- Surgery for biliary tract malignancies
- Liver surgery
- Surgical treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma
- Surgical treatment of cholangiocellular carcinoma
- Surgical treatment of rare liver tumors
- Small bowel surgery
- Small bowel tumor resection
- Surgical treatment of adhesive disease
- Surgical treatment of chronic inflammatory bowel disease
- Large bowel surgery
- Diverticular disease
- Colon polyps
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis)
- Functional bowel disorders
- Colon cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Rectal surgery (proctology)
- Anal abscesses and fistulas
- Anal fissures
- Anal сancer and anal dysplasia
- Anal venous thrombosis
- Rectal polyps and tumors
- Rectal prolapse
- Coccygeal fistulas
- Chronic constipation and defecation
- Fecal incontinence
- Thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal surgery
- Complex cancer surgery
- Peritoneal carcinomatosis
- Multivisceral tumor resections
- Bariatric surgery for the treatment of morbid obesity
- Hernia repair surgery
- Abdominal white line hernia
- Inguinal hernia
- Surgical treatment of functional disorders of the gastrointestinal tract
- Surgical treatment of infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
- Other therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Dr. med. Christoph Ackermann
Education and Professional Career
- 1970 - 1977 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Basel.
- 1977 - 1988 Assistant and Senior Physician in the Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Basel.
- 1981 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery, Ospedale San Giovanni Clinic in Bellinzona.
- 1988 Further training at hospitals in Wiesbaden and London.
- 1988 Leading Physician at the Department of Surgery at the St. Claraspital Hospital Basel.
- 1991 Habilitation and PD title at the University of Basel.
- 1999 Further training at the Cleveland Clinic in Florida and the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Swiss Medical Professional Association (Foederatio Medicorum Helveticorum).
- Swiss Society of Surgery.
- Swiss Society of Abdominal Surgery.
- Research Section of the Swiss Society of Surgery.
- Swiss Society of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
- German Society of Surgery.
- German Society of Abdominal Surgery.
- European Society of Digestive Surgery.
- International Society of Surgery.
- International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus.
- Swiss Working Group on Coloproctology (President 1999 - 2000).
- German Working Group on Coloproctology.
- German Society of Coloproctology.
- Swiss Working Group on Laparoscopic and Thoracoscopic Surgery.
- Swiss Society of Phlebology.
- Abdominal surgery.
- Surgical treatment of proctologic diseases.
- Surgical treatment of hernias.
- Surgical treatment of varicose veins.
- Installation of port systems.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Merian Iselin Klinik für Orthopädie und Chirurgie
Department of General Surgery.
Merian Iselin Clinic Basel:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.