Merian Iselin Clinic Basel
Department of Gynecology (114107)
Specialized in: gynecology
About the department
The Department of Gynecology at the Merian Iselin Clinic Basel offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for women with genital diseases. The specialists of the department treat patients both with common diseases of the gynecological spectrum and with complex oncopathologies of the female genital organs. The department’s competence also includes the provision of medical care to women with urogynecological problems, for example, pelvic prolapse and urinary incontinence. The department is equipped with excellent ultrasound equipment for highly accurate diagnostics. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Johannes Bitzer.
The department’s range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of uterine diseases
- Hormone therapy
- Uterine fibroids
- Hormone therapy
- Cervical dysplasia
- Diagnostics and treatment of vulvar diseases
- Benign changes in the skin and mucous membrane of the vulva and vagina (for example, genital warts, condylomas, lichen sclerosus)
- Chronic pain in the vulva (vulvodynia, vestibulitis)
- Recurrent infections
- Conditions after circumcision in women
- Diagnostics and treatment of ovarian diseases
- Ovarian cysts
- Diagnostics and treatment of urogynecological problems
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Urinary incontinence
- Pelvic floor muscle training
- Drug therapy
- Implantation of pessaries
- Diagnostics and treatment of gynecological oncopathologies
- Ovarian and fallopian tube cancers
- Uterine cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Vaginal cancer
- Vulvar cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases of the female genital organs
Education and Professional Career
- 1969 Study of Human Medicine, University of Freiburg.
- 1972 Preliminary exam in Medicine.
- 1973 Clinical practice in Baltimore, USA.
- 1973 - 1974 Doctoral thesis defense, Institute of Physiology, University of Freiburg. "Application points and mechanisms of action of drugs for coronary vessel dilatation with a special focus on Prenilamine".
- 1974 Clinical practice in Ghana, West Africa, and internship in Peru.
- 1975 State exam and the exam of the Educational Commission For Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- 1976 - 1977 Assistant Physician, St. Barbara Clinic in Dortmund, Department of Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology, University Hospital Freiburg. Internship in France.
- 1977 - 1979 Assistant Physician in the Department of Surgery, Clinic Rosmann Breisach, as well as Assistant Physician in the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics at the St. Elizabeth Hospital in Lörrach.
- 1979 Course in Epidemiology, Social Medicine and Tropical Medicine in Hamburg and Heidelberg. Since then an Employee, and then a Guest Lecturer at the Institute of Tropical Hygiene and Public Health.
- June 1979 - August 1981 Assistant Physician, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, St. Elisabeth Hospital in Lörrach.
- Since May 1982 Assistant Physician at the University Hospital Basel (focus on gynecology, endocrinology and family planning).
- Since March 1983 Training in Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis, Institute of Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis in Freiburg.
- September 1983 Visa Qualifying Examination.
- March 1985 Board certification in Gynecology and Obstetrics, University Hospital Basel.
- September 1985 - August 1987 Senior Physician of the District Hospital Bad Säckingen.
- September 1987 - December 1988 Senior Physician, Social Medicine Service, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Basel.
- January 1989 Acting Head of the Social Medicine Service at the Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital Basel.
- February 1, 1993 Habilitation in Gynecological and Obstetric Psychosomatics.
- February 1, 1994 Head of the Section of Gynecological Social Medicine and Psychosomatics, Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital Basel.
- August 1, 1997 Professorship.
- May 1998 President of the International Society of Psychosomatic Gynecology and Obstetrics (ISPOG).
- February 10, 2000 Extraordinary Professorship in Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- May 2008 President of the European Society of Contraception (ESC).
- November 2008 Chief Physician of the Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital Basel.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Merian Iselin Klinik für Orthopädie und Chirurgie
Department of Gynecology.
Merian Iselin Clinic Basel:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.