Okan University Hospital Istanbul
Department of Hair Transplantation (609487)
Onur Gürcan Ergen
Specialized in: hair transplantation
About the department
The Department of Hair Transplantation at the Okan University Hospital Istanbul offers all advanced hair transplantation techniques, which ensure painless and minimally traumatic hair restoration in the head, beard, mustache and eyebrows. Although a large number of hair transplantations are performed in men, the department's specialists also perform this procedure in women. Of particular interest to the department's surgeons is micro FUE hair transplantation, as it is one of the most effective methods – it allows the doctor to transplant up to 5,000 grafts within a single operation, leaves no scars and ensures the excellent lifelong results. The medical facility is one of the best in the world in the field of hair transplantation and gladly provides treatment to patients from Turkey, EU countries and the United States.
The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Onur Gürcan Ergen. The professor has long successful experience in his field of expertise and ranks among the leading hair transplantation experts in Turkey. Dr. Onur Gürcan Ergen cooperates closely with the world-renowned Italian plastic surgeon Luigi Catania, who also specializes in all modern hair transplantation procedures and holds honorary position as the Board Member of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS).
The hair transplantation is preceded by the individual consultation with the patient, during which he tells the doctor about his complaints and wishes. In turn, the doctor examines the patient, prescribes additional diagnostic examinations, if necessary, and also talks about the possibility of performing a particular hair transplantation procedure, the essence of this procedure, the follow-up care after the operation and the expected results.
The medical team of the department specializes in hair transplantation using micro FUE and DHI methods. With the appropriate clinical indications, the transplantation is performed without preliminary shaving of the hair, as, for example, in the case of FUE technique. The department also successfully practices the BHT (Body Hair Transplant) method, which is an innovative technology for hair transplantation from various parts of the body (arms, back, thorax, groin, chin). This method of alopecia treatment is optimal when the patient has an extremely scarce donor resource of material in the back of the head. In essence, it is a seamless transplantation technique (FUE), which involves the extraction of isolated follicular units. The use of this innovative technique allows the patient to obtain the most optimal cosmetic result. In addition, the department offers a variety of cosmetic procedures to prevent hair loss, stimulate hair growth and improve the appearance of the patient's hair. These methods include mesotherapy, PRP therapy, and stem cell therapy. The last method is quite innovative and is offered in only a few highly specialized clinics. Stem cells are the main cells that form all the organs and tissues of our body, performing various functions. A stem cell is able to reproduce new stem cells by division, create other cells with different functions, and repair damaged tissues. Thus, the growth potential of stem cells is used to stimulate hair growth. The stem cells are injected into the skin by micro-injection just before the hair transplantation, followed by the procedure itself.
The service range of the department includes:
- Micro FUE hair transplantation. The operation involves the extraction of single grafts (hair follicles) from the donor site – the back of the head, where hair growth is the most dense, or from other parts of the body. After collecting the required number of grafts, they are transplanted to the required area. The duration of the operation is from 6 to 7 hours. The intervention is performed under local anesthesia, which eliminates pain. The healing of tissues injured during the operation takes less than 1 week. The transplanted hair does not fall out.
- DHI hair transplantation. The essence of this procedure is identical to the micro FUE technique – grafts are collected from the donor site and transplanted to the areas of severe alopecia. The main difference is the use of a special tool, which looks like a regular ballpoint pen. The instrument is called the CHOI pen. It is a device with a disposable pointed tip and a mechanism, which pushes down the hair follicle in the area of its transplantation. During this technique, the formation of skin canals for hair transplantation is not a separate process, since the prepared follicles are immediately placed into the CHOI Pen. Thanks to this device, there is no need to place hair follicles in a special solution. This guarantees a higher viability of the collected grafts. It is also advantageous that the DHI method can be applied without shaving the hair.
- Hair transplantation in women. The treatment of alopecia in women is performed using the micro FUE method. The procedure can be performed with or without preliminary shaving of the hair. As a rule, the reasons for hair loss in women are genetic factors, hormonal disorders, changes in the body during pregnancy, etc.
- Beard and mustache hair transplantation in men. The procedure is also performed using the micro FUE technique, under local anesthesia. The donor material is collected from the back of the head. The duration of the operation is from 6 to 8 hours. No scars or stitches remain on the face after the operation. Such an operation is mostly performed in men between the ages of 26 and 40.
- Eyebrow hair transplantation. This type of hair transplantation also requires the use of the micro FUE technique. The procedure lasts from 1 to 2 hours. Such an intervention is used by patients who have severe eyebrow hair loss, degeneration of eyebrow hair follicles, scars, burns or congenital defects in the eyebrow line.
- PRP hair therapy. During the procedure, the doctor injects platelet-rich plasma into the scalp. PRP therapy is an effective non-surgical option and is suitable for patients who want to stimulate hair growth or restore lost hair.
- Hair mesotherapy. A special set of vitamins and nutrients is injected into the scalp, which prevents hair loss and stimulates the active growth of new hair, significantly improving its aesthetic appearance.
- Stem cell therapy. This method involves the infusion of microinjections of stem cells into hair follicles in order to stimulate hair growth and regeneration. This procedure demonstrates excellent results – it restores the thickness and beauty of the hair.
- Other treatments for alopecia and hair loss
Prof. Dr. med. Onur Gürcan Ergen is the leading specialist in hair transplantation at the Okan University Hospital Istanbul. He also works at the private Clinista Hair Clinic. The doctor specializes in all types of hair transplantation, including scalp micropigmentation, beard and eyebrow hair transplantation, alopecia treatment in women. The professor has over 10 years of successful clinical experience. Dr. Ergen received his higher education at the Universities of Marmara, Bahçeşehir and Okan. Dr. Onur Gürcan Ergen cooperates closely with the world-known Italian plastic surgeon Luigi Catania, who is the Board Member of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS). Prof. Onur Gürcan Ergen himself is also a member of the World Trichology Society.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Clinista by Okan University Hospital
Department of Hair Transplantation.
Okan University Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.