Pediatric Diagnostic Hospital M1 Munich
Department of Pulmonology and Somnology (Sleep Medicine) (359411)
Specialized in: pulmonology and somnology
About the department
The Department of Pulmonology and Somnology at the Pediatric Diagnostic Hospital M1 offers the full range of services in these medical focuses. The department specializes in the comprehensive diagnostics and treatment of respiratory diseases, respiratory and sleep disorders. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Uwe Mellies.
Thanks to modern technologies, the specialist of the department can accurately diagnose any disease of this spectrum and conduct optimal therapy.
In the field of pulmonology, the diagnostics of the following diseases is offered:
- Respiratory disorders in infants and newborns
- Chronic lung diseases in premature infants
- Unstable allergic and non-allergic asthma
- Recurrent bronchitis and pneumonia
- Malformations of the respiratory tract in newborns
- Hereditary diseases of the respiratory tract, e.g., cystic fibrosis, ciliary dyskinesia
- Respiratory tract lesions in children with cancer, immune and other severe diseases
- Respiratory disorders in children with developmental delay, for example, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, etc.
- Respiratory disorders in children with chest defects and scoliosis
- Impaired respiratory regulation
The most common sleep disorders in children are:
- Sleep onset insomnia and sleep structure disorders
- Impaired rhythm of sleep and wakefulness
- Sleep disorders due to behavior
- Disorder of respiratory function during sleep (e.g., snoring and obstructive sleep apnea)
- Organic causes (e.g., bronchial asthma, runny nose, pain)
Since the child's stay in the hospital can cause some stress, the department has a unique experience of performing a full-fledged sleep diagnostics at home. Within the framework of polysomnography, doctors assess the sleep profile (surface and deep), snoring, breathing, oxygen saturation, take into account the position of the body, and make ECG recording.
The range of diagnostic services of the department includes:
- Pulmonary function testing (spirometry, whole body plethysmography)
- Examinations under load (ergometry, spiroergometry on a stationary bike or a treadmill)
- Imaging examination methods (ultrasound, endoscopy, bronchoscopy, X-ray, CT)
- Laboratory tests (all laboratory-chemical and microbiological tests)
- Allergologic tests (in the hospital’s own Allergology Lab)
- Multiple Breath Washout (a very accurate innovative method for assessing lung function in infants under 2 years of age)
- Actigraphy (a long examination of sleep that lasts for several days or weeks)
- 1987 - 1989 Study of medicine, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg.
- 1989 - 1994 Study of medicine, University of Essen.
- 1995 Thesis defense.
- November 2005 Habilitation, Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Medical Faculty of the University of Duisburg-Essen.
- April 2006 Venia legendi, Pediatrics, PD, Medical Faculty of the University of Duisburg-Essen.
- April 2015 Visiting Professor, Medical Faculty of the University of Duisburg-Essen.
Internship and Additional Qualifications
- 2003 Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- 2004 Sleep Medicine, German Society of Sleep Medicine (DGSM).
- Pediatric Pulmonology.
Membership in Scientific Societies
- German Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- Society of Pediatric Pulmonology.
- German Society of Pulmonology and Respiratory Medicine.
- European Cystic Fibrosis Society.
- European Respiratory Society.
- 1984 - 1987 Internship, nurse, Evangelical Hospital Essen GmbH (Evangelisches Lutherkrankenhaus Essen GmbH).
- 1994 - 1996 Internship, Pediatrician, Municipal Hospital in Duisburg.
- 1996 - 1997 Assistant Physician, Pediatrics (Dr. A. Uebing, Prof, Dr. E. Schmidt), Erkrath.
- 1997 - 2001 Assistant Physician, Internal Medicine (Pulmonology).
- 2001 - 2004 Assistant Physician, Pediatrics, Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University Hospital Essen (Prof., Dr. Thomas Voit).
- 2005 Senior Physician, Center for Pediatrics.
- 2008 - 2017 Leading Physician of the Department of Pediatric Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine, Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University Hospital Essen.
- Since 01.01. 2017 Chief Physician, Consulting Physician, Department of Pediatric Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine, Pediatric Diagnostic Hospital M1, Munich.
Photo of the doctor: (c) M1 Privatklinik AG
Department of Pulmonology and Somnology (Sleep Medicine).
Pediatric Diagnostic Hospital M1 Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.