Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen
Department of Cardiology and Internal Medicine (114135)
Specialized in: cardiology, internal medicine
About the Department of Cardiology and Internal Medicine at Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen
The Department of Cardiology and Internal Medicine at the Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen provides the full range of medical services for the patients suffering from cardiovascular and internal diseases. The department has an excellent diagnostic base, thanks to which the doctors can carry out comprehensive laboratory and instrumental examinations. After a thorough study of the patient's medical history and his diagnostic data, the attending physician prescribes an effective treatment regimen developed taking into account the individual needs and wishes of the patient. The cardiologists also offer special diagnostic programs for the comprehensive assessment of the state of the cardiovascular system and the risks of developing cardiac pathology in the future. The therapeutic options of the medical facility include both drug therapy and catheter-based interventions. The department's doctors are guided in their work by modern clinical protocols and recommendations of professional societies, so the quality of medical care is at the highest level.
The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dietrich Baumgart. The professor has an excellent reputation in the areas of his specialization, as well as unique experience and professional skills acquired during his work in the best university hospitals in Germany, including the University Hospital Essen and the University Hospital Cologne.
The department's medical team is rightfully proud of the excellent treatment success rates in the field of cardiology. Prior to any therapeutic measures, the whole range of diagnostic tests is appointed to the patient. The basic methods of cardiac diagnostics are electrocardiography, echocardiography, 24-hour blood pressure measurement and laboratory tests. If the results of these examinations do not allow the doctor to make an accurate diagnosis, additional diagnostic procedures may be required: CT, MRI, cardiac catheterization for diagnostic purposes, pulmonary function testing, etc. After studying all the data, the patient receives a diagnosis and an optimal treatment regimen. In most cases, the department's cardiologists manage to normalize the work of the heart with the help of modern drugs. In the case of atherosclerosis of coronary arteries or their obstruction, the department's specialists often recommend the patients to undergo sparing interventional catheter procedures – balloon dilation and stent implantation.
In the field of internal medicine, the doctors provide treatment to the patients with digestive disorders, high blood pressure, metabolic disorders, diseases of the lungs and respiratory tract, as well as various general infectious diseases. To make a diagnosis, the doctors usually combine laboratory tests with instrumental diagnostics. The treatment of internal diseases is based on the intake of medications, intravenous injection of drugs (infusion therapy) and diet therapy.
The department's specialists are convinced that only an individual approach to each patient and his clinical case can guarantee a successful treatment outcome. In addition, the doctors of the medical facility recommend the patients to undergo regular check-ups in order to prevent serious diseases or to detect them at early stages, which significantly increases the chances of a complete cure.
The department admits patients with the following diseases and pathological conditions:
- Coronary artery disease
- Angina pectoris
- Heart rhythm disorders (arrhythmias)
- Valvular heart disease
- Heart failure
- Aortic diseases
- Arterial hypertension
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Chest pain of unknown origin
- Occlusive peripheral arterial disease
- Internal medicine
- Abdominal pain and digestive disorders
- Metabolic disorders (for example, high blood glucose levels, high cholesterol levels, etc.)
- Diseases of the lungs and respiratory tract
- Chronic fatigue
- Infectious diseases
- Other diseases
The department's range of diagnostic and therapeutic services includes:
- Diagnostic methods
- Resting and stress electrocardiography
- Cardiac echocardiography and vascular ultrasound scanning
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- 24-hour blood pressure measurement
- 24-hour Holter monitoring
- Pulmonary function testing
- Low-dose cardiac CT scanning
- Cardiac MRI, including adenosine stress MRI
- MRI to assess the state of blood vessels in the neck, thorax, abdomen and lower limbs
- Functional diagnostics of the veins and arteries
- Cardiac catheterization for diagnostic purposes
- Laboratory tests
- Comprehensive check-up program for assessing the risks of developing heart diseases
- Internal medicine
- Ultrasound scanning for suspected fatty liver disease
- Food intolerance test
- Stool analysis for digestive problems and suspected irritable bowel syndrome
- Ultrasound and laboratory tests for suspected thyroid dysfunction
- Breath tests for fructose and lactose intolerance
- Computed tomography
- Magnetic resonance Imaging
- Treatment methods
- Drug therapy
- Catheter-based interventional procedures (balloon dilation, stent implantation)
- Electrical cardioversion for atrial fibrillation
- Monitoring the functioning of previously implanted pacemakers
- Care for patients with myocardial infarction
- Internal medicine
- Drug therapy with medications
- Infusion therapy
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Dietrich Baumgart
Higher Education and Professional Career
- 1982 - 1989 Study of Human Medicine at the Hannover Medical School. Scholar of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Case Western Reserve University, Ohio, USA.
- 1989 - 1990 Internship in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Cologne.
- 1990 Admission to medical practice.
- 1990 - 1993 Assistant Physician, Department of Pathophysiology at the University Hospital Essen.
- 1993 - 1997 Assistant Physician, Department of Cardiology at the University Hospital Essen.
- 1997 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 1999 Specialization in Cardiology and additional qualification in X-ray Diagnostics.
- 2000 Habilitation.
- 1997 - 2002 Senior Physician in the Department of Cardiology and Head of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory at the University Hospital Essen.
- Since 2003 Medical Director of the Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen, as well as Head of the Department of Cardiology and Internal Medicine at the same medical facility.
- Diagnostics of vascular diseases.
- Treatment of ischemic heart disease (stent implantation and balloon dilatation) and arrhythmias.
- Treatment of heart failure.
- Treatment of heart valve disease.
- Treatment of cardiomyopathies.
- Heart functions.
- Congenital malformations.
- Heart failure.
- Aortic diseases.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- German Society for Cardiology, Heart and Circulation Research.
- German Society for Atherosclerosis Research.
- European Society of Cardiology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Preventicum Facharztzentrum
Department of Cardiology and Internal Medicine.
Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.