Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen
Department of Nephrology (327074)
Specialized in: nephrology
About the Department of Nephrology at Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen
The Department of Nephrology at the Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen provides the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services in the field of its competence. A highly qualified team of nephrologists deals with the treatment of all kidney diseases, including kidney lesions caused by arterial hypertension, rheumatic and autoimmune diseases. In addition, one of the important clinical focuses is care of patients before and after kidney transplant surgery. The specialists working in the medical facility also have exceptional competence in renal replacement therapy (dialysis).
The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h. c. Thomas Philipp. The specialist is rightfully known as one of the best nephrologists in Germany. The professor became the author of the country's first clinical guidelines for arterial hypertension treatment, and also made a significant contribution to research devoted to the study of the causes of arterial hypertension. In addition, Dr. Philipp founded the largest Peritoneal Dialysis Center in the Ruhr region. He also contributed to the increase in the number of kidney transplants in Germany and the popularization of voluntary living organ donation programs.
The department has all the necessary resources for high-precision diagnostics and effective treatment at the advanced level of medicine. The diagnostic options include the full range of laboratory tests, 24-hour blood pressure monitoring, ultrasound scanning, electrocardiography, echocardiography, assessment of vascular wall elasticity, etc. The treatment regimen is developed for each patient individually, which is one of the most important conditions for achieving a successful treatment outcome. The department's doctors most often resort to drug therapy. Dialysis is conducted in case of acute kidney failure, end-stage chronic kidney failure, coma or precoma caused by uremia and other complex clinical cases.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney failure
- Diagnostics and treatment of glomerulonephritis
- Diagnostics and treatment of pyelonephritis
- Diagnostics and treatment of arterial hypertension
- Diagnostics and treatment of collagen diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney infections
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetic nephropathy (in cooperation with the Department of Diabetology)
- Diagnostics and treatment of nephrotic syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of other kidney diseases
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h. c. Thomas Philipp
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 1962 -1968 Study of Human Medicine at the Universities of Mainz and Munich.
- 1968 State Medical Examination, Germany.
- 1969 Examination of the Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- 1971 Doctoral thesis defense, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz.
- 1971 -1976 Professional training, Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Mainz.
- 1978 Habilitation. Subject: "Pathogenesis of arterial hypertension".
- 1979 Professor at the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz.
- 1981 Professor in Internal Medicine and Nephrology, Free University of Berlin.
- 1982 - 1987 Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at the Free University of Berlin.
- 1987 Head of the Department of Internal Medicine I, Hospital in Karlsruhe.
- 1988 Head of the Department of Nephrology and Hypertensiology at the University Hospital Essen, and also C4 Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Essen.
- 1998 - 2001 Medical Director of the University Hospital Essen.
Awards, Prizes and Honors
- 1977 Boehringer Ingelheim Prize for the Best Doctoral Thesis.
- 1994 Franz Gross Prize of the German Hypertension League.
- 2006 Doctor Honoris Causa, Faculty of Medicine, State University of Nizhny Novgorod.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- 1985 - 1989 and 1992 - 1995 Board Member of the German Hypertension League.
- 1990 - 1996 Senate Committee Member of the German Research Foundation for Special Scientific Research.
- 1998 - 2004 Board Member of the German Society of Internal Medicine.
- 1999 - 2007 Ethics Committee Member of the Medical Association of North Rhine.
- 2000 - 2007 Chairman of the Examination Board for Nephrology and Internal Medicine.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Preventicum Facharztzentrum
Department of Nephrology.
Preventicum Diagnostic Сlinic Essen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.