Spinal astrocytoma is a rare tumor of the central nervous system. It can be diagnosed in both children and adults. The treatment methods used have limited efficacy, since spinal astrocytoma often cannot be completely removed. It is characterized by infiltrative growth and has no clear boundaries. However, in the case of timely diagnostics and if the tumor has a small size, it can be completely removed without a significant neurological deficit.
The diagnostic procedures performed for the diagnostics of spinal astrocytomas have the following goals:
- Establishment of the fact of spinal cord cancer. It is revealed in the course of instrumental diagnostics after the patient with symptoms seeks medical help from to the neurologist.
- Determination of the type of tumor. The doctor should make sure that it is an astrocytoma, but not another type of the cancerous neoplasm.
- Establishment of the type of tumor. Astrocytoma can be poorly or well-differentiated. It consists of different cells, which determines the prognosis of the disease. It can sometimes develop into glioblastoma, which is a tumor characterized by the highest degree of malignancy.
- Assessment of the prevalence of the process using CT and MRI. The neoplasm does not spread beyond the spinal cord, does not grow into the bones, but it can have different sizes and location.
The physician will also necessarily assess the patient’s neurological status, detect all symptoms and disorders. The next step is the assessment of the tumor spread. The physician studies MRI to understand if the tumor causes any narrowing in the spinal canal.
In the hospitals of developed countries, radiography and computed tomography remain the main studies that can detect the tumor.
The developed countries use MRI for the diagnostics. Some varieties of this study can not only determine the tumor and accurately assess its size and location, but also provide an opportunity to determine the histological type with a high degree of probability prior to the histological examination.
The final diagnosis is made based on the biopsy. It can be carried out as a separate invasive procedure, but doctors often perform biopsy during the treatment process. During the operation, the doctor will remove the tumor and send a sample for a histological examination.
Where can patients undergo examination?
In case of suspected spinal astrocytoma, it is better to undergo tumor diagnostics and treatment in the best hospitals abroad. Neuro-oncology and neurosurgery are complex areas of medical science. They require high qualifications from the doctor and a well-equipped hospital. Most medical facilities in developing countries cannot offer these things. The reason for it is that spinal astrocytoma is a rare tumor and doctors almost never deal with this disease and have no experience in its treatment.
In Germany, doctors achieve great success in the treatment of spinal astrocytomas. After the tumor diagnostics, they perform surgical treatment, use radiation therapy. In some cases, the tumor can be totally removed. If the tumor cannot be resected totally, doctors will remove most of it. During the operation, the doctor makes an incision in the bones above the solid (bulk) part of the tumor, removes it as much as possible and dissects the formed cystic elements.
The Booking Health company can arrange your examination and treatment in case of spinal astrocytoma. We recommend paying attention to these hospitals:
University Hospital Freiburg. The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery provides a high-precision diagnostics to detect spinal astrocytoma. To treat the disease, doctors use cutting-edge techniques. During the operation, doctors avoid traumatizing healthy tissues and prevent a significant neurological deficit due to special intraoperative diagnostic examinations.
University Hospital Bergmannsheil Bochum. The doctors of the Department of Neurosurgery and Neurotraumatology are ready to provide medical care to patients with any spinal cord tumors. The department uses high-precision neuronavigation systems, state-of-the-art fluorescent microscopes, which allow to distinguish healthy tissue from that one affected by the tumor process. During the operation, neurophysiological monitoring is used. The operating rooms are fitted out with equipment for intraoperative computed tomography.
Charite University Hospital Berlin. The diagnostics and treatment of spinal astrocytoma are provided in the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery. The department performs over 5,000 operations every year. The hospital has the necessary equipment and is considered one of the best clinical and scientific centers in Europe.
Organization of examination and treatment abroad
If you want to undergo the diagnostics or treatment abroad, including in Germany, you can contact the specialists from Booking Health. Our services and benefits include:
- Selection of the best hospital abroad, which has good statistics on the treatment of patients with spinal cord tumors.
- Reduced cost of treatment up to 50% due to the lack of extra charges and coefficients for foreign patients.
- Preparation of the examination program without repeating previously performed diagnostic procedures.
- Appointment with the doctor at the suitable dates for the patient.
- Establishment of communication with the attending physician.
- Control of the treatment costs and return of unspent funds.
- Assistance in buying and forwarding medicines.
- Communication with the hospital upon the completion of the examination and treatment program.
- Organization of additional diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.
Booking Health provides top-class services. We will book airline tickets and a hotel for you, provide interpreting services, meet you at the airport and take you to the hospital. Upon the program completion, we will provide a return transfer for you.