Rabin Medical Center Petah Tikva
Department of Reproductive Medicine (609568)
Specialized in: reproductive medicine
About the department
The Department of Reproductive Medicine at the Rabin Medical Center Petah Tikva offers the full range of assisted reproductive technologies for the treatment of female and male infertility. The department is annually visited by more than 1,300 couples, while most of them receive the long-awaited opportunity to be parents. The department specializes in in vitro fertilization (IVF), which is currently one of the most effective assisted reproductive technologies. The fertility doctors also perform procedures for fertility preservation in patients undergoing cancer treatment. The department demonstrates high success rates in fertility treatment, which compete with the best reproductive clinics in the world.
The department is headed by Dr. med. Yoel Shufaro. He is a brilliant specialist who has colossal experience, and is also actively engaged in research activities aimed at finding new treatment methods for infertility and improvement of the existing ones.
The main task of the department's specialists is the most accurate detection of infertility factors and their effective elimination. The treatment begins with the consultation of the couple by the attending physician, who determines the required amount of diagnostic tests for both partners. The attending physician also studies the results of diagnostic examinations, which the couple underwent in their homeland, if any.
After detecting the causes of infertility, the doctor develops an individual treatment regimen for the couple or one of the partners, depending on the specific clinical case. In most cases, the patients require such therapeutic measures as drug hormonal correction, ovulation stimulation, endovascular surgery to restore the patency of the vas deferens in men and fallopian tubes in women, insemination with donor sperm, in vitro fertilization and others.
IVF is one of the most popular and effective treatment methods of infertility. The fertilization of the egg takes place in the laboratory, after which a viable embryo or embryos are transferred into the uterine cavity of the expectant mother. The IVF procedure requires preparation not only for women, but also for men. If menstrual irregularities are diagnosed in a woman, she needs to undergo treatment in order to normalize hormonal levels. The examination of both partners includes a detailed blood count, urinalysis with bacterial culture, for a man – a spermogram, for a woman – a consultation with a gynecologist and a number of instrumental examinations of the reproductive system. Particularly complex clinical cases include situations when the etiology of infertility cannot be determined. Nevertheless, the department's doctors have excellent medical resources and exceptional professional skills to achieve excellent results even in the cases of infertility of unknown origin.
The key focuses of the department's work include:
- In vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Intrauterine insemination
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI)
- Transfer of cryopreserved embryos
- Uterine cavity irrigation with autoplasma before IVF to improve the condition of the endometrium
- Testicular sperm aspiration (TESA)
- Fertility preservation in cancer patients
- Egg freezing after ovarian stimulation
- Embryo freezing after egg fertilization
- Freezing of ovarian tissue with follicles or immature eggs for follow-up implantation in a woman (for example, after chemotherapy completion)
- Other assisted reproductive technologies
Dr. med. Yoel Shufaro is the Head of the Department of Reproductive Medicine at the Rabin Medical Center Petah Tikva. In addition, he is a Lecturer at the Faculty of Medicine of Tel Aviv University.
Dr. Shufaro received his medical degree at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and his doctoral thesis was dedicated to human genetics. He completed his residency in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Hadassah Hospital Ein Kerem in Jerusalem. This was followed by an internship at the Monash University in Melbourne, Australia.
Clinical and Research Interests
- Fertility tests.
- Infertility treatment: control of oocyte maturation, ovulation improvement, intrauterine insemination.
- Egg and sperm donation, surrogacy.
- In vitro fertilization (IVF).
- Fertility treatment in carriers of infectious diseases.
- Diagnostics and treatment of endocrine diseases associated with fertility.
Memberships in Professional Societies and Organizations
- Examination Board Member of the Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- Treasurer of the Israeli Fertility Association.
- Member of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Rabin Medical Center
Department of Reproductive Medicine.
Rabin Medical Center Petah Tikva:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.