Rehabilitation Clinic Kurparkklinik Heilbad Heiligenstadt
Department of Orthopedic Rehabilitation (25841)
Specialized in: orthopedic rehabilitation
About the department
The Department of Orthopedic Rehabilitation at the Rehabilitation Clinic Kurparkklinik Heilbad Heiligenstadt offers all the options of modern rehabilitation medicine for the restoration of patients who have suffered musculoskeletal diseases and injuries, as well as rheumatic pathologies. The department's doctors also often admit patients after complex orthopedic surgery: joint replacement surgery, limb amputation, surgery for spinal disc herniation and other spinal diseases. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hans-Werner Buhmann.
The medical facility boasts an excellent infrastructure, including spacious gyms, cozy treatment rooms, spaces with swimming pools. The primary goals of orthopedic rehabilitation are the elimination of pain caused by the pathology or injury, as well as maximum restoration of mobility and self-care ability. The department's medical team has a wealth of experience and competence to develop the best rehabilitation program for each patient, taking into account the characteristics of the disease, the degree of injury and other factors. In most cases, orthopedic rehabilitation takes place on an inpatient basis.
The decisive stage in the rehabilitation success is a comprehensive diagnostic examination of the patient upon admission to the department aimed at assessing his rehabilitation potential and general health status. The standard diagnostic protocol includes the set of laboratory tests, echocardiography and electrocardiography, musculoskeletal x-ray, etc. Depending on the particular diagnosis, other diagnostic tests can be carried out as well. With all the clinical data, orthopedists jointly with rehabilitation therapists develop a scheme of further treatment. During rehabilitation, the specialists actively use such methods as therapeutic exercises, physiotherapy, medical training therapy, balneotherapy, etc. The patients who have suffered musculoskeletal injuries and diseases quite often experience severe pain, and therefore the department provides effective and safe pain therapy (intake of painkillers). The rehabilitation of patients of working age is also aimed at restoring their work capacity. Such rehabilitation measures include simulated work-place activities to restore professional skills and endurance training.
Indications for orthopedic rehabilitation:
- Degenerative spinal and joint diseases
- Functional musculoskeletal disorders
- Structural disorders of the skeletal system
- Rheumatic diseases
- Chronic musculoskeletal pain
- Pathological conditions after musculoskeletal injuries
- Pathological conditions after joint replacement surgery
- Pathological conditions after limb amputation
- Pathological conditions after spinal surgery
- Other diseases and pathological conditions
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostic tests
- X-ray diagnostics
- Biomechanical testing of muscle regulation on the Biodex computerized system
- Testing of physical endurance on a treadmill and exercise bike
- Specific testing for patients after amputation, including timed up and go test
- Purdue Pegboard Test
- Arthrosonography (joint ultrasound scanning)
- Multimodal diagnostics of pain syndromes
- Heart diagnostics (echocardiography, electrocardiography, etc.)
- Rehabilitation methods
- Sports therapy
- Medical training therapy
- Exercising on fitness equipment (exercise bike, treadmill, etc.)
- Nordic walking
- Therapeutic exercises
- Manual therapy
- Trigger point therapy
- Occupational therapy, including medical profession-oriented rehabilitation (MBOR)
- Manual lymphatic drainage and edema treatment
- Classic massage
- Connective tissue massage
- Ultrasound therapy
- Laser therapy
- Magnet therapy
- Inhalation therapy
- Diet therapy
- Psychological care
- Relaxation training
- Kinesiology tape
- Acupuncture and acupressure
- Shockwave therapy
- Sports therapy
- Other medical services
Higher Education and Professional Career
- 1985 - 1991 Study of Human Medicine.
- 1991 - 1993 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery, University Hospital Goettingen.
- 1994 - 1998 Preparation for board certification, Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital Goettingen.
- 1999 Chief Physician of the Department of Orthopedics, Hospital Freyung.
- Since 1999 Medical Director of the Specialized Orthopedic Clinic in Heilbad Heiligenstadt.
- 1991 Doctoral thesis defense in Medicine.
- 1994 Doctoral thesis defense in Sports Medicine.
- 1998 Board certification in Orthopedics.
- 2007 Board certification in Traumatology.
- Since 2009 Honorary Professor of the University of Goettingen.
- Sports medicine.
- Manual therapy.
- Social medicine
- Special pain therapy.
- Musculoskeletal X-ray diagnostics.
- Rehabilitation after rheumatic diseases.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Association for Sports Medicine.
- Professional Association of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Kurparkklinik Heilbad Heiligenstadt
Department of Orthopedic Rehabilitation.
Rehabilitation Clinic Kurparkklinik Heilbad Heiligenstadt:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.