Academic Hospital Schlosspark Berlin
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology (278865)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric ophthalmology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at Academic Hospital Schlosspark Berlin
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the Academic Hospital Schlosspark Berlin offers the full range of medical services for the diagnostics and treatment of eye diseases. The primary focuses of the department's specialists include cataract treatment and corneal transplantation. Depending on the complexity of the clinical case, treatment can be provided both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. More than 4,000 surgical interventions are performed annually in the department's progressive operating rooms, which indicates extensive clinical experience and high credibility of patients. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. Dr. med. Peter Rieck.
One of the most common ophthalmic diagnoses is cataract (clouding of the lens of the eye). As a rule, to treat this pathology, ophthalmologists perform surgery to replace the affected lens (on an outpatient or inpatient basis). After examining the eye using a slit lamp, assessing visual acuity, examining fundus, assessing visual field and measuring intraocular pressure, the department's ophthalmologists decide whether to perform the surgical procedure. The operation is performed under injectable local anesthesia or under local anesthesia using eye drops. The duration of the procedure is from 15 to 20 minutes. The essence of the operation is the removal of the clouded lens and the replacement of it with an artificial intraocular lens. The clinical practice involves the use of monofocal aspheric lenses, multifocal lenses, toric lenses, etc.
The department is also focused on the treatment of corneal diseases. In the case of serious pathological changes, the patient requires donor corneal transplantation. The department uses the very latest surgical techniques, which practically eliminate the risk of rejection of the donor organ and guarantee a rapid recovery of vision. Of particular note is the DMEK technique (Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty). During the operation using DMEK technique, the ultra-thin graft is transferred contactlessly to the eye surface using a small air cushion on the inner side of the recipient's cornea. The operation is especially effective for endothelial corneal dystrophy (Fuchs' dystrophy).
The range of ophthalmological services of the department includes:
- Cataract treatment
- Conservative therapy by means of eye drops (at the initial stages of the development of pathology)
- Surgical treatment (removal of the eye lens and its replacement with an intraocular lens)
- Treatment of corneal diseases (focus on corneal transplantation using DMEK technique)
- Conservative and surgical treatment of glaucoma
- Retinal and vitreous surgery
- Retinal detachment
- Epiretinal fibrosis
- Macular hole
- Vitreous hemorrhage
- Macular edema in age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, venous occlusion or severe forms of myopia
- Retinal degeneration
- Proliferative diabetic retinopathy or vascular occlusion
- Crosslinking for keratoconus
- Conservative and surgical treatment of visual impairment
- Strabismus in adults and children
- Binocular diplopia
- Extraocular muscle palsy
- Eyelid surgery for cosmetic and therapeutic purposes
- Ectropion and entropion
- Eyelid tumors
- Tear duct surgery
- Congenital narrowing or obstruction of the lacrimal duct (dacryostenosis)
- Other therapeutic services
Photo of the doctor: (c) Schlosspark-Klinik GmbH
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology.
Academic Hospital Schlosspark Berlin:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.