Academic Hospital Schlosspark Berlin
Department of Internal Medicine (Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Oncology) (278867)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, cardiology, oncology
The Department of Internal Medicine I at the Schlosspark-Klinik provides the whole range of services in the field of modern diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the internal organs. A team of doctors at the Department of Internal Medicine I specializes in the main focuses in the fields of gastroenterology (diseases of stomach, intestines, and liver), oncology, metabolic diseases (e.g., diabetes) as well as cardiology. Since January 2013 cardiology has become one of the main focuses of the Department of Internal Medicine I, headed by a recognized specialist Dr. med. Richard Stern. Impaired circulation is a disease that often requires hospital treatment. Around a half of cardiologic patients need emergency care.
The Department of Internal Medicine I at the Schlosspark-Klinik together with the cardiologist Dr. med. Richard Stern. extends its range of services in the field of invasive diagnostic and therapeutic methods. The services provided here involve all common methods of diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases. The emergency patients receive care on the interdisciplinary, fully modernized emergency unit. In cooperation with the surgical units of the Schlosspark-Klinik, the Department of Internal Medicine I provides diagnostic endoscopic researchers as well as surgery of esophagus, stomach, duodenum, colon (video endoscopy) and bile ducts.
The specialists of the department under the direction of Dr. med. Richard Stern have special knowledge in the treatment of liver diseases and oncology. The concept of a partial inpatient care allows the patients to stay at home and to visit hospital just for a short period of time if it does not contradict to the disease.
The following focus of the Department of Internal Medicine I at the Schlosspark-Klinik is diagnosis and treatment of type 1 and 2 diabetes. Our “diabetic network infrastructure of Schlosspark-Klinik” trains patients how to take a responsible care of their disease on their own. The training programs ensure quality and are designed according to the guidelines of the German Diabetes Society (GDS).
Diseases / Focuses of treatment
Gastroenterology (diseases of the gastrointestinal tract):
Chronic inflammatory bowel diseases: ulcerative colitis, regional enteritis (Colitis ulzerosa, Morbus Crohn)
- Endoscopic and sonographic diagnosis
- Drug therapy including immunosuppressive therapy in accordance with the latest scientific achievements
Nutritional and digestive disorders (impaired assimilation):
- Intestinal functional diagnosis, diagnosis of pancreatic functions
- Health food, including artificial enteral nutrition and tube feeding, if necessary
Liver, bile ducts, and pancreatic diseases:
- Endoscopic and sonographic diagnosis
- Sonography-guided punctures for taking tissue samples
- Abdominoscopy (laparoscopy) in cooperation with the Department of Surgery
- Endoscopic therapy (papillotomy, removal of stones, stenting)
Esophageal diseases (esophagus):
- Treatment of varicose veins of the esophagus by obliteration (hardening) or constriction (ligation)
- Treatment of narrowing of veins (stenosis, strictures) by dilatation, destruction of tumors and implants
- Treatment of reflux diseases in cooperation with the Department of Surgery
- Endoscopic diagnosis and imaging methods (sonography, CT, MRI), sonography-guided punctures for taking tissue samples
- Treatment planning within a close collaboration with the Department of Surgery
- Chemotherapy in accordance with the oncologic treatment monitoring and in cooperation with the Tumor Center of the Charite Hospital, Campus Virchow
Oncological diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
The Department of Internal Medicine I at the Schlosspark-Klinik under the direction of Dr. med. Richard Stern offers an advanced chemotherapy monitoring for the treatment of patients with tumors of the gastrointestinal tract, pancreas, and liver. The treatment planning is realized interdisciplinary in a collaboration with the specialists in the field of surgery and radiotherapy as well as by means of video conferences.
Cardiology (heart, circulatory disorders):
Since January 2003 Dr. med. Richard Stern has been the chief physician of the Department of Cardiology at the Schlosspark-Klinik. He is a specialist in the field of cardiology and came to us from the European hospital of Berlin, where he was the head of the Heart Failure Center. Circulatory disorders are the diseases, which often require treatment in hospital. About a half of cardiologic patients need emergency care. They are admitted to the Schlosspark-Klinik by emergency or apply directly to the Department of Emergency. The Schlosspark-Klinik in Berlin is well-equipped for cardiologic patients and continues extending its range of services in the field of invasive diagnostic and therapeutic treatment methods. Moreover, since the middle of the year, it has also become a station for measuring data received from the heart catheters.
- Berlin, Germany