Academic Hospital Schlosspark Berlin
Department of Neurosurgery (278869)
Specialized in: neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Neurosurgery at the Academic Hospital Schlosspark Berlin offers all the options of surgical treatment of diseases of the central nervous system. The patients are treated in close collaboration with the specialists from the Department of Neurology. The department has 14 beds for inpatient treatment. An experienced team of the department's neurosurgeons also has rich and successful experience in neurosurgical medical care in emergency cases (around the clock). The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Theodoros Kombos.
The key attention is paid to the diagnostics and treatment of degenerative and infectious spinal lesions. The department's specialists also successfully provide medical care in the case of spinal tumors and injuries, as well as in the case of their complications. The most modern and sparing methods with proven effectiveness are used for the functional restoration of the spine. Of particular interest is the implementation of surgical interventions using microsurgical and minimally invasive techniques.
Chronic back pain is treated using an advanced procedure – neurostimulation. The basis of neurostimulation is the use of electrical impulses. The technique is effective in injuries of the spinal cord and its roots, for example, in case of trauma or inflammation. The types of electrodes are selected individually, depending on the specific pathology and constitutional features of the patient.
An equally important clinical focus is the surgical treatment of brain diseases. In this field, the focus is on functional surgery. The department's competent neurosurgeons have state-of-the-art systems for intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring, which practically eliminate the risks during and after surgery.
The department's surgical service range includes:
- Spinal surgery
- Surgery for degenerative spinal changes
- Surgery for infectious spinal lesions
- Surgery for benign and malignant spinal tumors
- Surgery for spinal injuries
- Treatment of chronic back pain (neurostimulation)
- Brain surgery
- Surgery for benign and malignant brain tumors
- Minimally invasive treatment of pituitary adenomas
- Surgery for vascular malformations of the brain
- Surgery for traumatic brain injuries
- Surgical treatment of the long-term effects of traumatic brain injuries
- Other medical services
- Study of Human Medicine at the University of Bonn.
- 1993 Doctoral thesis defense.
- 1993 - 1995 Internship, Department of Neurosurgery, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Benjamin Franklin Campus.
- 1995 - 1999 Research Fellow, Department of Neurosurgery, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin.
- 1999 Board certification in Neurosurgery, Berlin Medical Association.
- 1999 - 2011 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head in the Department of Neurosurgery at the Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2001 Habilitation in Neurosurgery, Free University of Berlin.
- 2007 Appointed as Extraordinary Professor in Charite.
- 2012 - 2014 Chief Physician, Department of Neurosurgery (focus on Spinal Surgery), Hildesheim Hospital.
- Since April 2014 Chief Physician of the Department of Neurosurgery at the Academic Hospital Schlosspark Berlin.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Neurosurgery.
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
- American Society of Neurophysiological Monitoring.
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society.
- German Society for Computer- and Robot-Assisted Surgery (Working Group on Spinal Surgery).
- German Society for Spine Surgery.
- Professional Association of German Neurosurgeons.
Department of Neurosurgery.
Academic Hospital Schlosspark Berlin:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.