St. Vincentius Hospital Karlsruhe-Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg
Department of Thoracic Surgery (333808)
Specialized in: thoracic surgery
About the department
The Department of Thoracic Surgery at the St. Vincentius Hospital-Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg offers a full range of diagnostic services and surgical treatment of benign and malignant diseases of the central respiratory tract, lungs, mediastinum and thoracic wall, including adjacent areas. In cooperation with the Departments of Pulmonology, Oncology and Radiotherapy in 2011, the department was certified by the German Cancer Society as a center for the treatment of lung cancer. Head of the department is PD Dr. med. Thomas Schneider.
The Department of Thoracic Surgery at St. Vincentius Clinic offers a full range of diagnostic services and surgical treatment of benign and malignant diseases of the central respiratory tract, lungs, mediastinum and thoracic wall, incl. adjacent areas. In cooperation with the departments of pulmonology, oncology and radiotherapy in 2011, the department was certified by the German Cancer Society as a center for the treatment of lung cancer. The department is headed by Dr. Thomas Schneider.
The team of the department, consisting of highly qualified doctors, paramedical staff, physical therapists, psycho-oncologists and social workers, has deep professional knowledge in providing first-class medical care. they also show deep compassion for patients.
Surgical interventions are conducted in the most modern operating rooms. Advanced equipment provides optimal care before, during and after surgery. The department uses sparing surgical methods. More than 80% of surgeries are performed using minimally invasive techniques (keyhole surgery).
In performing extensive operations to remove tumors, doctors can use own lung tissues of patients to create healthy lung tissue (so-called bronchoplasty and angioplasty). Such surgeries help improve the quality of life.
Range of medical services:
- Benign and malignant tumors of the lungs, chest, pleura (eg, pleural mesothelioma) and mediastinum
- Tumors of the chest wall
- Pneumothorax and pleural empyema (purulent pleurisy)
- Lung cancer
- Metastases in the lungs
- Malignant pleural effusion
- Pulmonary nodes
- Progressive emphysema (decrease in lung volume)
- Deformations of the chest (funnel-shaped chest, keeled chest)
- Incorrect bone fusion in fracture of ribs
- 1986 - 1992 The study of Medicine at the Gisen University of Justus Liebig and Heidelberg and the University of Ruprecht and Karl.
- 1994 Thesis: "Classification of tumors of the mammary gland. Obtaining objective results with the help of planned morphometry. "
- 1999 Specialization in Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2002 Specialization in the field of thoracic surgery, Department of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2004 Head physician of the Department of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2012 Head of the Department of Thoracic Surgery, St. Vincentius Clinic.
- 2014 Defense of doctoral thesis, Heidelberg University of Ruprecht and Karl. Theme: "Inducing the characteristic immune response of a tumor by radiofrequency ablation in lung cancer".
- 2014 Visiting Professor V. Rush; The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York; treatment of lung cancer and pleural mesothelioma.
Photo of the doctor: (c) ViDia Kliniken Karlsruhe
Department of Thoracic Surgery.
St. Vincentius Hospital Karlsruhe-Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.