St. Vincentius Hospital Karlsruhe-Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg
Department of Orthopedics (333952)
Specialized in: orthopedics and pediatric orthopedics
About the department
The Department of Orthopedics at the St. Vincentius Hospital-Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of all congenital and acquired diseases of the musculoskeletal system. The medical team of the department, consisting of experienced doctors, nurses and physiotherapists, provides services to patients of all ages, from infants who are just taking their first steps and ending with elderly people who want to maintain mobility and independence. The head of the department is PD Dr. med. Stephan Kirschner.
In the field of pediatric orthopedics, doctors perform a sonographic study for newborns to eliminate hip dysplasia. If there is slow development of the musculoskeletal system, doctors often use the fact that the the child's bones have great plasticity and in combination with conservative methods of treatment, this helps to achieve recovery. The most common conditions in adolescents treated in the department are O-shaped or X-shaped curvature of the legs, defects in the structure of the feet and the pathology of the spine.
In newborns, conservative orthosis treatment and targeted physiotherapy often lead to successful results in treating orthopedic problems in children. The specialists of the department have many years of experience in this field.
Particular attention is paid to consulting patients with wear of the lower limb joints who need to have joint preservation surgery or endoprosthetics.
Back pain is also common as the current pace of life and the working environment contribute to a sedentary lifestyle. Doctors of the department offer both conservative and surgical treatment of diseases of the spine and bones (osteology).
In addition, a characteristic pathology among adults is valgus deformation of the foot. In the early stages the disease can be cured with comfortable shoes and straightening cuts. In the late stages of the disease, surgical correction is performed, after which patients can wear normal shoes. Less common are degenerative diseases of the back of the foot and upper ankle.
Specialists of the department together with patients discuss possible options for surgical interventions to maintain and strengthen joints to ensure maximum mobility.
Of particular interest for the department is the prevention of wear of the hip and knee joints, since medical team make it its purpose to preserve the joint and its mobility.
Thanks to unique knowledge and many years of experience in endoprosthetics, complex surgeries are performed in the department, for example, for extensive bone defects. The affected bone is replaced by a donor bone obtained in a certified bone bank.
At the moment, the department is preparing to create an Endoprosthetics Center for maximum patient care.
The main directions of Orthopedics:
- Endoprosthetics of the knee and hip joint
- Treatment of deformities of the feet (eg valgus deformity)
- Treatment of diseases of the spine
- Treatment of back pain
The main directions of Pediatric Orthopedics:
- Hip joint examination in newborns (sonography)
- O-shaped curvature of legs
- X-shaped curvature of legs
- Defects in the structure of the feet
- Diseases of the spine
- 1987 – 1989 Graduation 1987 in Hanover, military service in the Bundeswehr Medical Services
- 1989 – 1996 Study of Medicine at the Hannover Medical School
- 1996 – 2001 Advanced training in Orthopedy, University Hospital Würzburg (under the direction of Prof. J. Eulert)
- 2001 – 2003 BG Emergency Hospital, Frankfurt am Main, Prof. Dr. M. Börner
- 2003 – 2004 University Hospital Würzburg, Prof. Dr. med. J. Eulert
- 2004 Board certification in Orthopedics, Munich
- 2004 – 2006 Senior Physician, Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus of the TU Dresden, Prof. Dr. med. K.-P. Günther
- 2006 Managing Senior Physician
- 2011 Leading Senior Physician
- 2008 Medical specialist in Orthopedics and Traumatology
- 2010 Special Orthopedic Surgery
- Since 2014, Medical Director of the Department of Orthopedics, St. Vincentius Hospital Karlsruhe – Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg
- German Society for Orthopedics and Orthopedic Surgery (DGOOC)
- German Congress for Orthopedics and Traumatology (DKOU)
- Professional Association for Orthopedics and Traumatology (BVOU)
- German Society of Endoprosthetics (AE)
Photo of the doctor: (c) ViDia Kliniken Karlsruhe
Department of Orthopedics.
St. Vincentius Hospital Karlsruhe-Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.