St. Vinzenz Academic Hospital for Orthopedics Duesseldorf
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics (467426)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric orthopedics
About the department
According to the Focus magazine 2017, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics at the St. Vinzenz Academic Hospital for Orthopedics Duesseldorf ranked among the top German departments specializing in orthopedic pathology!
The department offers the full range of services in the treatment of diseases of the musculoskeletal system. The department specializes in knee and hip arthroplasty, as well as foot surgery in adults and children. A special offer of the department is computer-assisted navigation surgery. With more than 50 years of successful clinical experience, the department provides patients with the highest quality of medical care and easily copes even with the most severe pathologies. The department is headed by PD Dr. med. Christoph Schnurr. He is a highly competent world-renowned orthopedic surgeon, who has saved many lives.
Knee and hip replacement surgery is performed in the certified Maximum Care Center for Arthroplasty (EndoprothetikZentrum der Maximalversorgung). The experience and unique skills of surgeons, a large number of operations, high-quality implants and innovative techniques, as well as the usage of accurate navigation systems contribute to the optimal results of the surgical interventions.
When providing any type of surgical treatment, doctors set a goal to choose the best method which will help the patient to restore his mobility and quality of life as quickly as possible. Moreover, the range of services of the department is not limited with surgery. After the operation, the professional physiotherapists and rehabilitation specialists will work with the patient.
Special attention is given to navigation surgery in the case of knee and hip joint replacement surgery. The accurate position of the prosthesis is provided by the computer navigation and it is crucial for the success of the operation. For example, a mismatch between the axes of the acetabulum and the prosthesis during hip surgery may lead to dislocation, while knee surgery may cause O-shaped or X-shaped leg deformities. This axial mismatch is not only a cosmetic problem, but it also causes the increased load on the joint. Consequently, it leads to more rapid wear. In January 2014, the department was equipped with a cutting-edge computer navigation device. Computer navigation surgery have nothing in common with robotic surgery, because a surgeon plays the main role here. The doctor controls the whole process, whereas the technical device acts as an aid in order to control each step of the intervention, in particular, the accuracy of prosthesis location. The results of the recent research demonstrate that the usage of computer navigation does not only reduce the risk of complications, but also improves joint functionality.
The service range of the department includes:
- Full range of diagnostic services (CT, MRI, scintigraphy, puncture, laboratory tests)
- Hip replacement surgery of any complexity (including surgeries in the case of prosthesis wear, damage, fracture)
- Hip osteoarthritis
- Congenital and acquired hip injuries
- Injuries causing premature joint degeneration
- Knee replacement surgery of any complexity (including surgeries in the case of prosthesis wear, damage, fracture)
- In-house Bone Bank
- Computer navigation during knee and hip replacement surgery
- Foot surgery
- Hallux valgus
- Correction of hook- and hammer-shaped fingers
- Ankle osteoarthritis surgery
- Correction of foot deformities in adults and children
- Tendon rupture surgery
- Postoperative care and early rehabilitation
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
- Study of Medicine at the Universities of Bonn, Perugia (Italy) and Pittsburgh (USA).
- Assistant Physician, Augustinerinnen Hospital Cologne.
- Research Fellow of the University Hospital Cologne, Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- Leading Senior Physician, LVR Clinic Viersen.
- Since 01.11.2013, Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, St. Vinzenz Academic Hospital for Orthopedics Duesseldorf, Maximum Care Center for Arthroplasty (EndoprothetikZentrum der Maximalversorgung).
- Invited Examiner of the Medical Association of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia, Orthopedics and Traumatology, Special Orthopedic Surgery.
Research and Teaching Activities
- Chairman of AGiTEC (Working Group on Intraoperative Imaging and Technology Integration), Working Group of the German Society for Orthopedics and Traumatology (DGOU).
- Reviewer of numerous journals:
- Clinical Orthopedics and related Research.
- The Knee.
- Zeitschrift für Orthopädie und Unfallchirurgie.
- Author of the topical publications with a special focus on arthroplasty and computerized surgical techniques.
- 2012 Habilitation, University of Cologne. Subject: "Computer navigation in knee and hip replacement surgery: the basics, application, innovation."
- Course of lectures at the University of Cologne and Duesseldorf.
Membership in the Professional Societies
- Working Group on Intraoperative Imaging and Technology Integration (AGiTEC).
- German Society for Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology (DGOU).
- Association of Leading Orthopedic Surgeons and Traumatologists (VLOU).
- German Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (DAF).
- International Society of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology (SICOT).
- Working Group on Endoprosthetics (AE).
Photo of the doctor: (с) St. Vinzenz-Krankenhaus
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics.
St. Vinzenz Academic Hospital for Orthopedics Duesseldorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.