Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
Department of Cardiology (302976)
Specialized in: cardiology
About the department
The Department of Cardiology at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center offers all the options of modern medicine for the prevention, diagnostics and treatment of cardiovascular diseases. The competence includes the treatment of both critical conditions and chronic pathologies requiring continuous monitoring or rehabilitation. Thanks to the use of modern equipment and the provision of comprehensive, high-quality and personalized medical services, the department is recognized as one of the top Cardiology Centers in the national and international medical arena. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Shmuel Banai.
The department provides round-the-clock emergency care for severe and life-threatening clinical conditions, such as acute coronary syndrome, myocardial infarction, congestive heart failure, severe arrhythmia, or other diseases requiring emergency care, monitoring, diagnostics, and treatment. The department's medical team also provides individualized treatment for patients with angina pectoris, heart failure, arrhythmias, etc.
The department has state-of-the-art Cardiac Catheterizations Laboratories, which serve for catheter-assisted interventions. These include, for example, dilatation procedures for the restoration of patency of blood vessels, implantation of heart valve stents and implants. The treatment of arrhythmias is one of the main activities of the department's specialists. It uses modern equipment for the diagnostics and treatment of this pathology, for example, catheters, pacemakers and defibrillators. The devices provide optimal treatment in case of atrial fibrillation, cardiac conduction defects, ventricular tachycardia and cardiac arrest.
The experienced cardiologists of the department offer highly accurate diagnostics, comprehensive monitoring and care for patients with heart valve diseases and structural heart diseases. To diagnose and treat such patients, the department widely uses cardiac CT, echocardiography, cardiac catheterization, ECG mapping of cardiac activity, etc. The patients who are contraindicated surgical treatment are offered catheter interventions, which are more easily tolerated and highly effective. In addition to high-quality treatment and diagnostics, the department provides rehabilitation, as well as consultations on primary and secondary prevention of cardiac diseases.
The service range of the department includes the following diagnostic and therapeutic options:
- Treatment of myocardial infarction
- Diagnostic coronarography
- Holter monitoring, electrocardiography (ECG) and ergometry
- Percutaneous aortic valve replacement
- Pacemaker implantation
- Defibrillator implantation
- Interventional procedures for structural heart diseases
- Coronary angioplasty
- Cardiac intensive care
- Cardiac catheterization
- Nuclear techniques in cardiology (for example, myocardial scintigraphy)
- Prevention of cardiological diseases
- Other diagnostic and treatment methods
- Medical School of the Hebrew University Hadassah, Jerusalem.
- 1986 - 1988 Cardiology Fellowship, Department of Cardiology, Bikur-Cholim Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel.
- 1988 - 1991 National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Department of Cardiology, Section of Experimental Physiology and Pharmacology, Bethesda, Maryland, USA (postdoctoral basic research in cardiology).
- Head of the Section of Interventional Cardiology, Department of Cardiology, Bikur-Cholim Hospital, Jerusalem.
- 1997 - 1998 Associate Director, Bikur-Cholim Hospital, Jerusalem.
- 1999 - 2004 Deputy Head, Department of Cardiology, Bikur-Cholim Hospital, Jerusalem.
- 2002 - 2005 Chief Medical Officer, Neovasc Inc.
- 2004 - 2005 Senior Cardiologist, Head of the Medical Unit, Heart Institute, University Hospital Hadassah, Jerusalem.
- 2005 - 2009 Medical Director, Neovasc Medical.
- Since 2009 Medical Director, Neovasc Inc.
- Since 2006 Head, Section of Interventional Cardiology, Department of Cardiology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Since 2019 Chief Physician of the Department of Cardiology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- 2002 Associate Professor of Medicine and Cardiology, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel.
- 2007 Associate Professor of Cardiology, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- 2015 Full Professor of Cardiology, Tel Aviv University, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- 2018 Head of the Elizabeth and Nicholas Slazak Super Center for Cardiac Research and Medical Engineering, Tel Aviv University.
Department of Cardiology.
Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.