Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
Department of Neurosurgery (302984)
Specialized in: neurosurgery
About the Department of Neurosurgery at Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
The Department of Neurosurgery at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center offers the widest range of diagnostic examinations and therapeutic methods for patients with diseases of the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nervous system. The department is considered the leading Neurosurgical Center in Israel and around the world. When treating patients, the doctors apply all available medical innovations and adhere to the highest international standards. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Zvi Ram.
The team of doctors has advanced equipment and therapeutic methods. The department actively uses neuronavigation and intraoperative MRI, performs operations in full consciousness, endoscopic interventions, as well as synchronous intraoperative recording of electrophysiological activity during operations on the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves. All this guarantees the highest accuracy and safety of surgical treatment.
The department's specialists prefer complex treatment. In this regard, there is maintained close cooperation with specialists in the field of orthopedics, intensive care, endocrinology, otolaryngology, anesthesiology and invasive neuroradiology.
In addition to clinical activities, the employees of the department successfully conduct clinical trials at the international level and are members of steering committees and advisory boards of many pharmaceutical and biotechnological companies.
The surgical range of the department's services includes:
- Stereotactic radiosurgery and fractional stereotactic radiation
- Surgical treatment of auditory nerve neuroma (radiosurgery)
- Surgery to treat brain tumors
- Surgery to remove skull base tumors and reconstructive surgery
- Peripheral nerve reconstruction
- Various bypass methods for hydrocephalus
- Treatment of congenital malformations of the skull and spine
- Microvascular decompression for pain syndromes
- Pituitary surgery (standard and extensive endoscopic procedures)
- Stereotactic brain biopsy
- Craniotomy for benign and malignant brain tumors
- Craniotomy for metastatic brain lesions
- Treatment of intracranial aneurysm
- Interventional endovascular treatment of cerebrovascular malformations, including aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations
- Treatment of stroke (revascularization by means of thrombolysis or embolectomy, local intra-arterial thrombolysis)
- Surgical treatment of epilepsy
- Surgical treatment of functional disorders, including Parkinson's disease and other motor disorders
- Endoscopic and minimally invasive brain surgery
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Zvi Ram
- Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- Postgraduate Courses in Neurology and Neurosurgery, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- 3rd Advanced Seminar in Neurosurgical Research, Venice.
- European Course in Neurosurgery: Infratentorial Tumors and Hydrocephalus, Amsterdam, the Netherlands; Microsurgical Techniques, University Hospital Zurich.
- Recombinant DNA Methodology.
- Neuropathology Review Course, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Workshop on Image-Guided Neurosurgery for Brain Tumors, Santorini, Greece
- Microsurgery of the Basal Cisterns, Denver, Colorado.
- Endoscopy and endoscopy-assisted microsurgery, Tutlingen/Mainz, Germany.
- Endoscopic Transsphenoidal Surgery, Vienna, Austria.
- Endoscopic approaches to skull base surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, USA.
- Rotating Internship, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer.
- Resident in Neurosurgery, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer.
- Resident in General and Vascular Surgery, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer.
- Senior Resident in Neurosurgery, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer.
- Chief Resident in Neurosurgery, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer.
- 1994 - 1999 Attending Neurosurgeon, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer.
- 1999 - 2003 Deputy Chairman, Department Of Neurosurgery, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer.
- Since 2003 Chief Physician of the Department of Neurosurgery, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center.
- 1991 - 1994 Visiting Scientist, Senior Staff Member, National Institutes of Health, Department of Neurosurgery, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, Maryland.
- 1995 - 2000 Senior Lecturer in Surgery, Sackler Medical School, Tel Aviv University.
- 2000 - 2010 Associate Professor of Neurosurgery, Sackler Medical School, Tel Aviv University.
- Since 2010 Professor of Neurosurgery, Sackler Medical School, Tel Aviv University.
Prizes and Achievements
- 1990 Board Certification in Neurosurgery.
- 1991 Israel Medical Association Fellowship Award.
- 1991 Borenstein Neurological Award.
- 2008 Goldhirsh Award.
- 2008 Excellent Poster Presentation at the Annual Meeting of the European Association of Neuro-Oncology (EANO), Spain.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- 1990 Israel Medical Association.
- 1990 Israel Neurosurgical Society.
- 1990 Israel Surgical Society.
- 1992 Society of Neurosurgical Research, USA.
- 1994 American Association of Neurosurgery.
- 1995 Congress of Neurosurgery, USA.
- 1996 International Pituitary Club, USA.
- 1996 European Association of Neurosurgical Societies, Neuro-Oncology Committee, Europe.
- 1997 Secretary of the Israeli Society of Neurosurgery.
- 1997 Delegate to the World Federation of Neurosurgery.
- 1998 European Association of Neuro-Oncology (EANO).
- 2000 Member of the Israel Medical Association Scientific Council.
- 2000 Israel Cancer Association, Neuro-Oncology Committee.
- 2000 Ministry of Health, National Council for Surgery, Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Israel.
- 2007 Chairman of Neuro-Oncology Committee of the EANS.
- 2007 Ministry of Health, National IRB for Gene Therapy and Cell Based Therapeutics
Photo of the doctor: (c) Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
Department of Neurosurgery.
Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.