Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
Department of Hematology (302992)
Specialized in: hematology
About the Department of Hematology at Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
The Department of Hematology at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center provides highly qualified care to patients suffering from various blood diseases, including malignant hematological diseases. The treatment of malignant diseases of the hematopoietic system is based on the use of various schemes of intensive chemotherapy and bone marrow transplantation. If desired, the patients can be treated within the clinical trials. As a rule, this option is offered to the patients who do not have positive dynamics due to the application of classical treatment methods. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Irit Avivi.
Of particular interest to the department's specialists is the treatment of acute and chronic leukemias, myelodysplastic syndrome, multiple myeloma, Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphomas, as well as benign blood diseases (anemia and blood-clotting disorders). The department provides both inpatient and outpatient treatment. The inpatient treatment is mainly recommended for patients with malignant blood diseases who require intensive chemotherapy and bone marrow transplant. Such pathologies include acute leukemias (AML and ALL), aggressive lymphomas, Hodgkin disease and multiple myeloma. The treatment methods for these diseases can be the very latest types of chemotherapy, experimental chemotherapy for patients with resistant types of cancer and bone marrow transplant (autologous or allogeneic).
Most patients are treated in single rooms, which are equipped with HEPA filters for air filtration and reduction of the frequency of infections, as well as in the Intensive Care Unit.
The multidisciplinary medical team of the department consists of hematologists, transplantologists, nurses, specialists in infections, nutritionists, psychologists, music therapists and social workers. They all work for the benefit of their patients in order to provide high quality medical care and achieve optimal treatment results. The nursing staff is also highly professional and constantly undergoes advanced training courses.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of acute and chronic leukemias
- Diagnostics and treatment of myelodysplastic syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of multiple myeloma
- Diagnostics and treatment of Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphomas
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign blood diseases (anemia and blood-clotting disorders)
- Diagnostics and treatment of other hematologic diseases
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Irit Avivi
Education and Internship
- Graduate of the Faculty of Medicine of the Israel Institute of Technology (Technion), Haifa.
- Hematology Internship at the Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa.
- Professional Internship in the Treatment of Lymphoma, Myeloma and Bone Marrow Transplantation at the University Hospital London, England.
- Senior Physician at the Institute of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation at the Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa.
- Head of the Department of Hematology at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv.
- Senior Lecturer in Hematology, Faculty of Medicine, Israel Institute of Technology (Technion), Haifa.
- Chairman of the Israeli Multiple Myeloma Study Group.
- Member of the European Research Group on Bone Marrow Transplantation in Lymphoma.
Research Activities and Scientific Interests
- The author of more than 50 scientific works on hematology, which were published in Israeli journals and international medical journals.
- Co-author of many medical textbooks and presentations for international conferences.
- In 2011, she was awarded with Research Grant from the Israeli Military Intelligence.
Main Clinical Focuses
- Treatment of multiple myeloma.
- Treatment of lymphomas.
- Bone marrow transplantation.
- Treatment of malignant brain diseases.
- Improvement of immune function in cancer.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
Department of Hematology.
Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.