Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery (302997)
Specialized in: pediatric neurosurgery
The Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery of Dana-Dwek Children's Hospital at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center deals with the diagnosis and treatment of children with conditions affecting the brain and central nervous system, such as tumors, brain malformations, hydrocephalus, epilepsy and congenital defects. The Department is headed by Prof. Shlomi Constantini, a leading pediatric neurosurgeon in Israel. The Department is staffed by experienced professionals having at their disposal advanced, high-precision technical equipment and all the necessary devices, including the latest models of neuronavigators, systems for intraoperative MRI scanning, special surgical microscopes, endoscopic and stereotactic devices, equipment for electroneurophysiological monitoring etc. There are annually performed about 350 surgical interventions.
The main diagnostic methods used in the Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery of Dana-Dwek Children's Hospital at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center include noninvasive examinations of the head and spine using magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography. MRI and CT of the brain and spinal cord, dopplerography, scanning of the main arteries of the head and neck are also very helpful in accurate diagnosing.
In addition, the medical staff under the direction of Prof. Shlomi Constantini is also actively involved in both national and international laboratory and clinical research, as well as in education of medical students and physicians.
The Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery at the Sourasky Medical Center also has an outpatient clinic, which operates on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. The young patients are referred to the clinic for diagnosis, pre-admission visits and follow-up.
The range of medical services of the Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery under the direction of Prof. Shlomi Constantini includes:
- Microsurgery of brain tumors in the cerebellum and brain stem
- Multidisciplinary treatment of brain and spinal tumors
- Correction of congenital malformations of the central nervous system (Crouzon, Apert and Saethre-Chotzen syndromes)
- Surgical repair of blood vessels and cerebral aneurysms
- Treatment of spinal congenital anomalies (Arnold Chiari malformation and syringomyelia)
- Treatment of hydrocephalus, using neuroendoscopy and other procedures
- Treatment of head injuries
- Treatment of spina bifida
- Neurosurgical treatment of spasticity
- Craniosynostosis treatment
- Treatment of birth defects
- Brain endoscopies
- Pre-natal counseling
- Multidisciplinary treatment of neurocutaneous syndromes
- Tel Aviv, Israel