Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
Department of Pediatric General Surgery (303002)
Specialized in: pediatric general surgery
The Department of Pediatric General Surgery of Dana-Dwek Children's Hospital at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center treats infants, children and adolescents up to the age of 16 years suffering from a wide variety of difficulties requiring surgical intervention. The Department annually performs over 1,000 operations. It is headed by Dr. Gad Lotan, a highly experienced pediatric surgeon. The multidisciplinary medical team includes pediatric surgeons, a physiotherapist, an occupational therapist, a dietician, a social worker, a speech therapist and a psychologist. They all make every effort to ensure top-class medical care and child’s speedy recovery.
All operations are performed in modern operating rooms with a highly qualified pediatric anesthetist. To avoid major invasive surgery and to facilitate faster healing and recovery, surgeons often use laparoscopic techniques. The Department of Pediatric General Surgery of Dana-Dwek Children's Hospital at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center uses many modern laparoscopic techniques. The specialists of the Department under the direction of Dr. Gad Lotan have extensive experience in treating infections of the chest cavity using video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS), which shortens the period of patient hospitalization.
The Department of Pediatric General Surgery of Dana-Dwek Children's Hospital, led by Dr. Gad Lotan, specializes in the following areas:
- General pediatric surgery
- Inguinal hernia
- Umbilical hernia
- Undescended testis
- Diseases of the trachea, stomach, chest etc.
- Oncological surgery
- Tumors in the neck, chest, kidneys and digestive system
- Birth defects detected during pregnancy (in cooperation with the Department of Obstetrics)
- Hiatal hernia
- Congenital esophageal atresia (obstruction)
- Congenital obstruction of the duodenum
- Malformations of the lungs
- Chronic diseases
- Inflammatory bowel diseases
- Gall stones
- Severe conditions, such as bowel obstruction, peritonitis, inflammation of the peritoneal cavity and testicular torsion
- Other surgeries, such as circumcision, insertion of a Port-A-Cath, Hickman catheter, bronchoscopies, tissue biopsies etc.
In addition, the Department of Pediatric General Surgery of Dana-Dwek Children's Hospital at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center takes care of children’s comfortable hospital stay. To make it easier, there are playing rooms with a variety of toys and games, as well as computer classrooms.
- Tel Aviv, Israel