Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
Department of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant (303003)
Specialized in: pediatric hematology, oncology, bone marrow transplant
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center provides the full range of diagnostics and treatment for infants, children and adolescents with acute and chronic blood diseases, as well as various malignant solid tumors. The department treats about 3,500 young patients every year. In addition to top-class medical care, the department's specialists create favorable conditions for children so that the treatment process proceeds as comfortably and effectively as possible. The department is headed by Dr. med. Ronit Elhasid.
One of the department's key activities is bone marrow transplant (autologous and allogeneic). The autologous bone marrow transplants serve for the treatment of such malignant diseases as recurrent lymphoma, metastatic types of bone cancer, high-risk neuroblastoma and certain types of brain tumors. The allogeneic transplants are carried out for the treatment of blood cancer and non-cancerous diseases, such as congenital immunodeficiency states, metabolic disorders and inherited blood diseases. To meet the special needs of children and protect the patient from life-threatening infections, the transplantations are performed in specially designed rooms (with positive pressure and air filtration systems). After transplantation, the patient returns home and stays under the close monitoring of experienced specialists. It should be noted that the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT) recognized the department as the International Bone Marrow Transplant Center.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Anemia of various origins (alimentary anemia, spherocytosis, sickle cell anemia and thalassemia)
- Leukocyte pathologies
- Platelet pathologies (immune thrombocytopenia purpura)
- Bone marrow failure syndromes
- Coagulopathy and thrombophilia
- Histiocytosis (especially Langerhans cell histiocytosis)
- Malignant diseases in children
- Acute and chronic leukemia
- Brain tumors (in collaboration with the Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery)
- Bone and soft tissue tumors (in collaboration with the Department of Orthopedic Oncology)
- Lymph node cancer (for example, Hodgkin lymphoma)
- Tumors of the kidneys, adrenal glands, testes and ovaries
- Rare malignant tumors in children
- Other pathologies
The diagnostic and therapeutic options of the department include:
- Hematologic examinations, including bone marrow examinations
- Transfusion of blood and its components
- Intravenous administration of iron
- Treatment using immunotherapy, including immunoglobulins, Rituximab (MabThera) and anti-D immunoglobulin
- Autologous and allogeneic bone marrow transplant
- Other medical services
It is worth noting that the rooms in the department are designed specifically for children in order to provide them with a more comfortable stay in the hospital. They have a play area, cozy seating areas, computers, games, videos and other children's entertainments.
- Medical School, Technion (Israel Institute of Technology), Haifa.
- 1991 Correlation between the dysmorphic features and the intelligence quotient in children with Down syndrome, Genetic Unit, B'nai Zion Medical Center, Haifa.
- Since 2009 Chief Physician of the Department of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center.
- 2004 - 2009 Head of the Section for Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa.
- 1999 - 2009 Deputy Head, Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa.
- 2012 Senior Clinical Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
- 2011 National Principal Investigator of the International Study on the Treatment of Childhood Relapsed ALL.
- 2004 - 2010 Senior Clinical Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Haifa.
Prizes and Achievements
- 2000 - 2001 ARTS Grant, Israeli Cancer Association, Principal Investigator with Dr. Bloch. Subject: "A novel apoptotic protein and its role in leukemia".
- 2009 Grant, Chief Scientist's Office, Co-Investigator with Dr Nuhad Haddad. Subject: "In vitro effects of therapeutic gamma irradiation of blood components on reactive oxygen species formation and microparticles release".
- 2009 Grant of the Israeli Cancer Association, Principal Investigator with Prof. Krivoy and Dr. Efrati. Subject: "Epidemiological and pharmacogenetic aspects of pediatric bone marrow transplantation".
- 2010 Grant, Chief Scientist’s Office, Co-Investigator with Dr. Efrati and Prof. Krivoy. Subject: "Epidemiological and pharmacogenetic aspects of pediatric and adult bone marrow transplantation".
- 2012 Grant, Israel Cancer Association, Principal Investigator with Prof. Shai Izraeli and Prof. Stark. Subject: "Characteristics and treatment outcome of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) in Israel: comparison between Jewish and non-Jewish populations".
- August 2002 Patent S patent PCT/IL02/00649 WO 03/013422. Subject: "Methods of Treatment and Prognosis of Leukemia and Other Cancer Types", Rambam Medical Center.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Israel Society of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology.
- American Society of Hematology.
- Israel Society of Hematology and Blood Transfusion.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center
Department of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant.
Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.