Charite University Hospital Berlin
Department of Cardiac Surgery (26109)
Specialized in: cardiac surgery
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the Charite University Hospital Berlin ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in the surgical treatment of cardiovascular diseases!
The department offers the full service range in the field of cardiac surgery. Despite the fact that the department has long traditions, it has the reputation of one of the most high-tech Cardiology Centers in Europe. The clinical practice involves the use of achievements of modern surgery, particularly, minimally invasive and catheter techniques. Thus, cardiac surgeons achieve excellent results and at the same time guarantee the most sparing treatment and fast recovery for the patient. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Volkmar Falk. The surgeon has exceptional experience in the field of his specialization and saves lives for patients with extremely severe heart diseases.
The highest value for each department's employee is patient's health and well-being. In addition to classic surgical interventions on the heart and nearby vessels, the department's cardiac surgeons increasingly use innovative minimally invasive and catheter techniques. Thus, they perform minimally invasive direct coronary artery bypass grafting, beating-heart coronary artery bypass grafting, minimally invasive mitral valve repair surgery, minimally invasive surgical mitral valve repair, minimally invasive aortic valve surgery, aortic root reconstruction (David procedure) and surgical treatment of arrhythmias. Another innovative treatment method, which is included in the department's specialization, is transcatheter aortic valve implantation.
As a maximum care medical facility, the department guarantees each patient an effective treatment adapted to his particular clinical case. Also, all department's employees strive to make the patient feel as comfortable as possible throughout the entire period of hospitalization. Heart surgery often causes fear and anxiety in patients, so the department's cardiac surgeons devote plenty of time to counseling, they tell about the course of the operation, follow-up activities and the predicted therapy results. All this helps the patient to cope with stress and to undergo treatment well.
The surgical options of the department include:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (including minimally invasive one)
- Mitral valve surgery (including minimally invasive surgery)
- Mitral valve reconstruction
- Mitral valve replacement
- Aortic valve replacement (usually minimally invasively using upper partial sternotomy)
- Aortic valve reconstruction (David procedure)
- Surgical inflammation of the ascending aorta and aortic arch
- Tricuspid valve reconstruction and replacement
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation
- Implantation of epimiocardial electrodes into the left ventricular area for the implantation of biventricular pacemaker with cardioversion-defibrillation function
- Endocardial ablation of the left atrium during atrial fibrillation and left atrial appendage occlusion
- Other treatments for cardiovascular diseases
Education and Professional Career
- 1986 - 1992 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Bonn.
- 1993 Doctoral thesis defense.
- Training in Surgery at the University Hospital Göttingen, as well as Training for the Title of Doctor of Medicine in the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital Leipzig.
- 1998 Board certification in Сardiac Surgery.
- Since 1998 Senior Physician in the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the Heart Center at the University Hospital Leipzig.
- 1999 - 2000 Research Fellow at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California.
- 2001 Habilitation, Faculty of Medicine, University of Leipzig.
- 2002 Completion of advanced training courses on Special Intensive Cardiac Surgery.
- 2003 Leading Senior Physician in the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the Heart Center of the University Hospital Leipzig.
- 2007 W2 Professor of Cardiac Surgery at the University of Leipzig.
- January 1, 2009 Head of the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital Zurich and Professor of Cardiac Surgery at the University of Zurich.
- Since October 2014 Ordinary Professor in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Head of the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the Charite University Hospital Berlin.
Scientific and Teaching Сareer
- Prof. Falk is the author or co-author of more than 500 scientific publications. He was co-founder of the Innovation Center Computer Assisted Surgery (ICCAS) at the University of Leipzig funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). During his stay in Zurich, he initiated the "Zurich Heart" interdisciplinary research project aimed at improving existing and exploring new circulatory support systems. Falk runs a project, which currently has about 20 research teams, even after moving to Berlin.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- European Society of CardioVascular Surgery.
- European Society of Cardiology.
- International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- German Cardiac Society.
- American Association for Thoracic Surgery.
Awards and Prizes
- 2000 Carsten Ullrich Prize for Habilitation Work of the German Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
Department of Cardiac Surgery.
Charite University Hospital Berlin:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical coordinator will contact you within 24 hours and answer all questions that might interest you.
you will receive a reply shortly Home