Charite University Hospital Berlin
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders (26114)
Specialized in: endocrinology, metabolic disorders
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders at the Charite University Hospital Berlin ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in diabetes mellitus treatment!
The department offers all modern diagnostic and therapeutic services in these medical fields. Of particular interest is the treatment of overweight and obesity, high blood pressure, type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus, thyroid diseases, metabolic bone diseases, diseases of the pituitary, adrenal glands, etc. An integral part of the department's everyday work is research activities, which helped to implement many innovative treatment methods into clinical practice. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Joachim Spranger.
The department is the Сenter of Excellence for the diagnostics and treatment of patients with endocrine tumors, such as adrenal cancer, thyroid cancer, pheochromocytoma and pituitary adenoma. The doctors use an integrated approach in the treatment of any pathology in the field of their specialization, they perform an exhaustive diagnostics in order to determine the exact diagnosis and features of the pathology, then they prescribe an effective therapy course aimed at a long-term result.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetes mellitus, its complications, prevention of diabetes mellitus, as well as training for diabetes patients and nutrition counseling
- Diagnostics and treatment of overweight, obesity
- Individual patient counseling
- Multimodal conception for weight loss aimed at lifestyle modification for long-term results
- Psychological care
- Comprehensive physical training programs
- Experience exchange
- Diagnostics and treatment of thyroid diseases
- Thyroid cancer (differentiated and undifferentiated)
- C-cell cancer (also with genetic examinations of relatives)
- Diagnostics in palpable abnormality of unknown etiology
- Iodine deficiency
- Inflammatory thyroid diseases
- Autoimmune thyroid diseases (for example, Hashimoto's thyroiditis)
- Specialized and complex diagnostics, as well as modern and individual therapy regimens
- Hormonal examinations within specialized laboratory
- Ultrasound examinations of the thyroid gland
- Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid gland
- Thyroid scintigraphy for the detection of hot and cold nodes (in collaboration with the Department of Nuclear Medicine)
- Computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging (in collaboration with the Department of Radiology)
- Radioiodine therapy (in collaboration with the Department of Nuclear Medicine)
- Surgical treatment of thyroid diseases (in collaboration with the Department of Surgery)
- Treatment of thyroid diseases in pregnant women (in collaboration with the Department of Gynecology)
- Diagnostics and treatment of arterial hypertension
- Special hormonal examinations
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- Ergometry (on a bicycle and a treadmill)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pituitary diseases
- Inflammatory diseases
- Circulatory disorders
- Traumatic injuries
- Diagnostics and treatment of adrenal gland diseases
- Cushing's syndrome
- Primary hyperaldosteronism
- Hereditary adrenogenital syndrome
- Primary adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease)
- Diagnostics and treatment of metabolic bone disorders
- Low or high blood calcium levels
- Parathyroid dysfunction
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Diagnostics and treatment of sexual dysfunctions
- Female sexual dysfunction
- Genetic pathologies (for example, adrenogenital syndrome and pituitary disorders)
- Polycystic ovary
- Male sexual dysfunction
- Genetic pathologies
- Circulatory disorders
- Female sexual dysfunction
- Other medical services
- 1990 - 1996 Study of Medicine at the Ruhr University Bochum and at the Newcastle University (Great Britain).
- 1996 - 1997 Intern at the Institute of Pathology, Ruhr University in Bochum.
- 1997 - 2000 Assistant Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Bochum.
- 2000 - 2007 Fellow of the German Institute for Nutrition Research Potsdam, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin.
- 2008 Invitation to the post of Professor at the Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- Since 2008 Head of the Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin.
- Since 2008 Member of the Commission on "Nutrition, Dietary Products, New Products and Allergies" and on "Genetically Modified Foods and Fodders" of the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment.
- Since 2007 Member of the Commission on the Development of Guidelines on Nutrition and Diabetes Mellitus of the German Diabetic Society.
- Endocrinological disorders.
- Metabolic disorders.
- The significance of nutrition in the development of diabetes and obesity.
- Studies of specific hormonal mechanisms.
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders.
Charite University Hospital Berlin:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical coordinator will contact you within 24 hours and answer all questions that might interest you.
you will receive a reply shortly Home