Charite University Hospital Berlin
Department of Infectology and Rheumatology (26115)
Specialized in: infectology, rheumatology
About the department
The Department of Infectology and Rheumatology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases in these fields. Clinical practice focuses on the treatment of various infections, including infections of the gastrointestinal tract, and rheumatic pathologies. The department employs first-class specialists who make every effort so that the patient receives a comprehensive and most effective treatment at the international level. The treatment is provided on both in inpatient and outpatient basis. Great importance is attached to the research activities, which allowed for the development of many innovative treatments. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Britta Siegmund.
Infectology focus is certified by the German Society of Infectology, which indicates the high quality of medical care in this area. The department is equipped with special insulators with modern ventilation systems, which accommodate patients with severe airborne infections. The doctors of the department treat about 1,000 patients with infectious pathologies of varying severity.
In the field of rheumatology, both common rheumatic diseases (for example, ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic reactive arthritis) and rare pathologies of this spectrum are treated. Also, the patients have access to clinical trials of new drugs and treatments, which often give excellent results.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious diseases
- Venereal diseases
- Tropical infections (for example, malaria, schistosomiasis, leishmaniasis)
- Immunodeficiencies due to autoimmune diseases, cancer and HIV
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases
- Axial spondyloarthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Reactive arthritis
- Arthritis in Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis and spondylarthritis
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Systemic scleroderma
- Rare rheumatic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases
- 2012 W2 Heisenberg Professorship in Translational Gastroenterology – inflammatory bowel diseases.
- 2010 Venia legendi for Internal Medicine, Charite.
- 2010 Certificate of the German Society of Gastroenterology for Inflammatory Bowel Diseases.
- 2009 Board certification in Gastroenterology.
- 2009 Chairperson of the German Working Group on Inflammatory Bowel Diseases.
- Since 2008 Scientific Secretary of SFB 633.
- Since 2007 Attending Physician, Department of Internal Medicine I, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2007 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 2006 Habilitation and Venia legendi for Experimental Medicine, Charite.
- 2002 - 2007 Residency, Department of Internal Medicine I, Charite.
- 2000 - 2002 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Colorado.
- 1998 - 2000 Residency, Department of Internal Medicine, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1995 - 1998 Medical thesis on anti-inflammatory strategies mediated by IL-10, Department of Internal Medicine/ Clinical Pharmacology, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1992 - 1998 Study of Medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich and Harvard Medical School, Boston.
Awards and Scholarships
- 2006 Rising Star in Gastroenterology, ASNMGE.
- 2002 - 2007 Emmy Noether Young Investigator Group.
- 2001 Young Investigator Award, International Cytokine Society.
- 2000 - 2002 Postdoctoral Fellowship by the German Research Foundation.
- 1997 Award from the Harvard-Munich-Alliance for Medical Education.
Department of Infectology and Rheumatology.
Charite University Hospital Berlin:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home