Charite University Hospital Berlin
Department of Hepatology and Gastroenterology (26116)
Specialized in: hepatology, gastroenterology
About the department
The Department of Hepatology and Gastroenterology at the University Hospital Charite specializes in gastroenterology, hepatology, endocrinology and diabetology. The director of the department is Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Bertram Wiedenmann.
As part of the department, the Center for Colorectal Cancer and the Center for Pancreatic Cancer are certified as the Interdisciplinary Cancer Centers, the Training Centers for Gastroenterology and the Centers of Excellence for Neuroendocrine Tumours.
The Department of Hepatology and Gastroenterology specializes in the treatment of diseases of the abdominal cavity and provides patients with all types of the state-of-the-art technical facilities necessary for all stages of diagnosis: endoscopy, ultrasound and the Interdisciplinary Cancer Center. The Campus Vichow-Klinikum houses the central interdisciplinary Department of Endoscopy, the Centre of Excellence for Neuroendocrinology and the Interdisciplinary Cancer Center.
- 1973 - 1980 Study of Medicine at the Christian-Albrecht University of Kiel, Technical University of Munich, Hospital Rechts der Isar, Royal Free Hospital, London, Great Britain.
- 1980 Medical license and thesis defense.
- 1980 - 1982 Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, New York, USA.
- 1982 - 1983 Harvard University, Biological Laboratories, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
- 1983 - 1984 German Cancer Research Center, Institute of Oncology and Cell Biology, Heidelberg.
- 1984 - 1990 Work in the Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1989 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine and Assistant Professorship.
- 1990 Qualification in Gastroenterology.
- 1990 - 1997 Department of Internal Medicine (focus – gastroenterology), University Hospital of the Free University of Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin.
- 1994 - 1997 C3 Professor.
- Since 1997, C4 Professor and Head of the Department of Hepatology and Gastroenterology (including treatment of metabolic disorders), Virchow Campus, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- Since 2012, Medical Director of the Internal Medicine Center Charite (gastroenterology and nephrology, CC13) and the Head of the Department of Hepatology and Gastroenterology, Campus Charite Mitte.
Main Clinical Focuses
- Gastrointestinal tumors.
- Infectious diseases.
- Molecular and cellular biology with a special emphasis on the processes of intracellular transport.
- Gastrointestinal oncology.
- Inflammatory processes in the liver and gastrointestinal tract.
- 1989 Boehringer Mannheim Scientific Award.
- 1991 European Award in Gastroenterology (Germany).
- 1992 European Award in Gastroenterology.
- 1996 Werner Creutzfeldt Research Award in Gastroenterological Neuroendocrinology.
Department of Hepatology and Gastroenterology.
Charite University Hospital Berlin:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home