Charite University Hospital Berlin
Department of Neurology (26119)
Specialized in: neurology
About the Department of Neurology at Charite University Hospital Berlin
147 Booking Health patients have already received treatment in the Department of Neurology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin.
99% of patients recommend this hospital and department.
You can read reviews about the quality of the Booking Health service here.
According to Focus magazine, the Department of Neurology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in the treatment of multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, and Parkinson's disease!
The department offers a full range of diagnostic options and conservative treatments for diseases of the nervous system. The department has 170 beds for patient hospitalization. An important structural section of the department is a specialized Intensive Care Unit (in interdisciplinary collaboration with the Departments of Neurosurgery and Anesthesiology with a focus on intensive surgical care). The department annually treats and diagnoses more than 8,000 inpatients and about 20,000 outpatients. Such indicators show the high quality of medical service and tremendous trust of patients. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Matthias Endres.
The priority fields of clinical practice include the diagnostics and treatment of stroke and neurovascular pathologies, neuroimmunological disorders, multiple sclerosis, motor disorders (for example, Parkinson's disease, essential tremor), neuropathies, and muscular diseases, epilepsy, convulsions, headaches, facial pain syndromes. Thanks to active research activities and exceptional qualifications of the medical personnel, the department also treats rare and extremely complex pathologies, for example, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, myasthenia, encephalitis, etc.
The diagnostic options of the department include:
Functional diagnostics of the peripheral nervous system
(electroneurography, electromyography, multimodal evoked potentials)
|Ultrasound diagnostics of the cervical and brain vessels|
Neuropsychological examinations for the diagnostics of cognitive disorders
Magnetic resonance imaging for patients with acute or chronic stroke
Other diagnostic examinations
The service range of the department covers the diagnostics and treatment of the following neurological diseases:
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
Different types of ataxia
Differential diagnostics of movement disorders, including rare ones
High-quality additional diagnostics (including MRI, PET, SPECT, CSF testing, skin biopsy, tremor, and movement analysis, neuropsychology, genetic diagnostics, examinations within a Sleep Laboratory)
Escalation therapy in Parkinson's disease with indications for deep brain stimulation, drug therapy using Duodopa, and apomorphine therapy
Follow-up care after deep brain stimulation and therapy using special pumps
Comprehensive drug therapy in Parkinson's disease
Outpatient botulinum toxin therapy in dystonia and spasticity
Constant monitoring of patient and therapy progress
Participation in multicenter researches in pharmacotherapy and deep brain stimulation
Dementias and cognitive disorders
Encephalitis and paraneoplasias (for example, anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis, limbic encephalitis, paraneoplastic brain inflammation, Morvan's syndrome, etc.)
Epilepsy and other convulsive syndromes
Multiple sclerosis and chronic central nervous system inflammatory diseases
Myasthenia gravis (diagnostics and treatment within a specialized center)
|Neuro-AIDS and HIV neurological disorders|
|Sleep disorders in neurological genesis|
Neurological disorders caused by cancers and their therapy
Other diseases of the nervous system, other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Matthias Endres
Education and Professional Сareer
- Since 2009 Medical Director of the Charité Center 15 for Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- Since 2008 Head of the Department of Neurology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- Since 2008 W3 Professor, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2005 - 2008 Lichtenberg Professorship, Interdisciplinary Stroke Research, Volkswagen Foundation, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2004 - 2007 Senior Physician, Department of Neurology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2003 - 2005 Heisenberg Scholarship, German Research Foundation.
- 2001 Habilitation, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 1998 - 2004 Head of the Research Group on Cerebral Ischemia, Department of Experimental Neurology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 1998 - 2003 Research Fellow, Department of Neurology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 1996 - 1998 Research Fellow, Neurology Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston.
- 1994 - 1996 Assistant Physician, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Lübeck.
- 1995 Doctoral thesis defense, University of Hamburg.
- 1988 - 1994 Study of Human Medicine, Ruhr University in Bochum and University of Hamburg.
Positions in Scientific Societies and Organizations
- Since 2015 Emergency Board Member of the German Stroke Society.
- 2009 - 2015 Board Member of the German Stroke Society.
- Since 2008 Board Member, Center for Stroke Research, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2005 - 2009, 2013 - 2017 Board Member of the International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism (ISCBFM).
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- Since 2016 Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 2008 Heinrich Pette Prize, German Society of Neurology.
- 2002 Paul Martini Prize.
- 2000 Adolf Wallenberg Prize, German Society of Neurology.
- 1999 Nils Lassen Prize, International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism.
- 1999 Scientific Prize of the German Stroke Foundation.
- 1998 Oskar Lapp Research Prize, German Cardiac Society.
- Vascular mechanisms of stroke protection
- Risk factors and prevention, degeneration and regeneration, as well as depression after a stroke.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Department of Neurology.
Charite University Hospital Berlin:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.