Charite University Hospital Berlin
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology (26120)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric ophthalmology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin ranks among the top German medical facilities in the field of its specialization!
It offers the full range of accurate diagnostics and effective treatment of eye diseases in patients of all age groups. As one of the largest and most successful ophthalmological centers in Germany, the department treats not only common eye pathologies, such as glaucoma, cataracts, conjunctivitis, but also specializes in the treatment of rare, extremely complex pathologies, including hereditary diseases, eye-threatening infections, tumors in the eye and orbit. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Antonia Joussen.
If surgical treatment is necessary, the interventions are performed both on an inpatient basis and in ultra-modern outpatient operating room. The outpatient interventions mostly include cataract surgery, refractive eye and eyelid surgery. Since January 2017, the field of outpatient surgery operates on the basis of the quality management system certified in accordance with ISO 9001: 2008 standard.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of choroidal melanoma
- Medical examination using ophthalmoscope
- Ultrasound examination
- Optical coherence tomography
- Fluorescein angiography
- Radiation therapy (brachytherapy, proton therapy)
- Surgical tumor removal
- Transpupillary thermotherapy
- Eye enucleation
- Diagnostics and treatment of age-related macular degeneration
- Argon plasma coagulation
- Therapy using Lucentis (Lucentis®)
- Therapy using Triamcinolone
- Surgical treatment
- Photodynamic therapy
- Use of vascular endothelial growth factor antagonists
- Restoration of the retinal pigment epithelium after ruptures
- Intake of vitamins (as a supportive method)
- Diagnostics and treatment of glaucoma in children (conservative and surgical techniques)
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetic retinopathy
- Laser coagulation (for the treatment of proliferative retinopathy and diabetic macular edema)
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory eye diseases (uveitis)
- Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agents (administered as eye drops, ointment, injections or as pills)
- Diagnostics and treatment of retinopathy of prematurity
- Diagnostics and treatment of secondary cataract
- YAG laser capsulotomy
- Surgical intervention
- Diagnostics and treatment of corneal diseases, including corneal transplantation (in-house Eye Bank)
- Perforating keratoplasty
- Lamellar transplantation of the anterior and posterior cornea
- Crosslinking in keratoconus and keratectasia
- Refractive eye surgery (femto-LASIK, LASEK technique, photorefractive keratectomy)
- Phototherapeutic keratectomy
- Amniotic membrane transplantation
- Corneal ulcers
- Corneal replacement surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of cataracts (also in children)
- Intracapsular surgical technique
- Extracapsular surgical technique
- Laser surgery
- Eye lens replacement surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of visual impairment in children (for example, amblyopia)
- Lacrimal duct stenosis
- Electrophysiological examinations
- Visual field test
- Color vision test
- Mesoptometry II
- Adaptation examinations
- Visual evoked potentials
- Diagnostics and treatment of vitreous and retinal diseases
- Vitreous opacities
- Posterior vitreous detachment
- Laser treatment
- Retinal detachment
- Diagnostics and treatment of double vision, strabismus
- Outpatient surgery (cataract, refractive eye surgery and eyelid surgery)
- Diagnostics and treatment of tumors of the anterior segment of the eye, orbit, eyelid (within the specialized center), as well as benign diseases of the orbit (for example, endocrine ophthalmopathy), diseases of the lacrimal ducts, eyelid malformations, etc.
- Refractive surgery (within the specialized center)
- Photorefractive keratectomy
- Intraocular lens implantation
- Selection of contact lenses
- Advanced stage of myopia
- Advanced stage of farsightedness
- Other medical services
- Study of Medicine at the Ruhr University Bochum and at the Heidelberg University, Germany.
- 1993 United States Medical Licencing Examination (Part 1).
- 1995 United States Medical Licencing Examination (Part 2).
- 1996 United States Medical Licencing Examination (Part 3).
- 1998 Fully licenced to practise medicine.
- 1999 - 2000 Research Fellow at the Children's Hospital and Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA. Subject: "The pharmacophysiology of diabetic retinopathy".
- 2002 Venia Legendi in Ophthalmology, Senior Consultant, Department of Retinal and Vitreous Surgery.
- 2003 Senior Consultant at the Ophthalmology Center, University of Cologne, Germany. Deputy Director, Department of Retinal and Vitreous Surgery.
- 2006 Offer to hold a post of W3 Professor in Ophthalmology at the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf, Germany (accepted).
- 2009 Offer to hold a post of W3 Professor in Ophthalmology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin, including Campuses Steglitz and Virchow.
- 2010 Acceptance of the offer and assumption of duties in Berlin.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology.
Charite University Hospital Berlin:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.