Charite University Hospital Berlin
Department of Ophthalmology (26120)
Specialized in: ophthalmology
About the department
The Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Charite treats all types of eye diseases. It is headed by Professor Dr. Antonia Joussen.
The department is located at the Charité Campuses Benjamin Franklin and Virchow-Klinikum and comprises of the Eye Cancer Center, the Corneal Center (including the Eye Bank) and the Uveitis Center. Also, the department specializes in the treatment of glaucoma.
A team of the Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Charite treats all eye diseases ranging from retinal detachment to glaucoma and keratoplasty, while the primary specialization is the treatment of particularly complex conditions.
The Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Charite offers the following services and treatment options:
- Eye Cancer Center: all tumors of the anterior and posterior segments of the eye
- Corneal Center: penetrating keratoplasty
- Refractive Surgery Center
- Uveitis Center: treatment of infectious causes and uveitis of children
- Paediatric ophthalmology and neuro-ophthalmology
- Study of Medicine at the Ruhr University Bochum and at the Heidelberg University, Germany.
- 1993 United States Medical Licencing Examination (Part 1).
- 1995 United States Medical Licencing Examination (Part 2).
- 1996 United States Medical Licencing Examination (Part 3).
- 1998 Fully licenced to practise medicine.
- 1999 - 2000 Research fellow at the Children's Hospital and Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA. Subject: "The pharmacophysiology of diabetic retinopathy".
- 2002 Venia Legendi in Ophthalmology, Senior Consultant, Department of Retinal and Vitreous Surgery.
- 2003 Senior Consultant at the Ophthalmology Center, University of Cologne, Germany. Deputy Director, Department of Retinal and Vitreous Surgery.
- 2006 Offer to hold a post of W3 Professor in Ophthalmology at the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf, Germany (accepted).
- 2009 Offer to hold a post of W3 Professor in Ophthalmology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin, including Campuses Steglitz and Virchow.
- 2010 Acceptance of the offer and assumption of duties in Berlin.
Department of Ophthalmology.
Charite University Hospital Berlin:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home