About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Gynecology, Mammology at Charite University Hospital Berlin
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Gynecology, Mammology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin ranks among the top German medical facilities in the fields of its specialization!
The department offers all options of modern medicine for the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the female reproductive organs and breast. Of particular interest is the treatment of cancers of the female reproductive organs and breast (certification of the German Cancer Society). In addition, the department's doctors have exceptional competence in the treatment of gynecological problems in children of all age groups, including surgical correction of congenital malformations of the reproductive organs. The department is proud of its outstanding treatment results achieved thanks to the professional skills of doctors and excellent technical base.
The Head Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Jens-Uwe Blohmer, who is well known in professional medical circles and among patients all over the world. The specialist has been working in gynecology and mammology for over 16 years. During this time, he has performed more than 10,000 interventions for breast cancer and thousands of surgical procedures to treat female genital malignancies. Dr. Blomer is rightfully proud of his qualifications in laparoscopic and robot-assisted surgery. The professor is the author and co-author of books, as well as more than 220 publications in medical print media and on the Internet.
Cancer pathologies of the female reproductive area are treated in interdisciplinary cooperation using reliable and effective therapeutic techniques. The department's gynecologists specialize in the treatment of ovarian fallopian tube, peritoneal, cervical, labial cancers and rare cancers. This field is certified by the European Society of Gynecological Oncology and the German Cancer Aid. Each clinical case is considered on an individual basis, after which an optimal treatment strategy is developed. If surgical intervention is required, the preference is always given to sparing minimally invasive surgery.
Also, the department's doctors are engaged in the treatment of benign gynecological diseases, for example, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, benign breast changes. An integral part of clinical practice is the provision of medical care to girls and teenage girls with diseases of the gynecological range. The focus in this field is on the surgical correction of reproductive malformations (for example, vaginal agenesis, uterine malformations), treatment of infections, puberty disorders, menstrual disorders, malignant neoplasms, etc.
The priority of the department's mammologists is the treatment of breast cancer, including hereditary types. The therapeutic options include comprehensive diagnostics, accurate planning of individual treatment, conduction of all necessary therapeutic measures, follow-up care. In the case of breast resection, the doctors perform modern types of plastic surgery using implants and patient's own tissues. Psychological care is also an important component of therapy, since the detection of cancer is always associated with fears and negative emotions.
The service range of the department includes:
|Diagnostics and treatment of cancer of the female genital organs
|Diagnostics and treatment of breast cancer
|Consultations on hereditary breast and ovarian cancers
|Diagnostics and treatment of endometriosis
|Diagnostics and treatment of uterine fibroids
|Diagnostics and treatment of gynecological problems in children and adolescents
|Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases of the female reproductive organs, mammary gland
- 2000 Habilitation in Gynecology and Obstetrics, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Senior Physician of the Department of Gynecology at the Charite, Berlin.
- 2004 - 2014 Head of the Breast Center at the Sankt Gertrauden-Krankenhaus Clinic, Berlin.
- 2005 - 2014 Chief Physician of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Sankt Gertrauden-Krankenhaus Clinic, Berlin.
- Since 1 September 2014, Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Gynecology, Mammology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- Breast cancer: diagnostics, surgical treatment, chemotherapy, drug treatment with monoclonal antibodies and hormones.
- Breast reconstruction: installation of implants, reconstruction of muscles with the help of the patient’s own tissues.
- Intraoperative radiotherapy for the treatment of breast cancer.
- Three-dimensional ultrasound examination of the mammary glands and ovaries.
- Treatment of ovarian, uterine, cervical cancer: diagnostics, surgical treatment, drug therapy and follow-up.
Special Clinical Focuses
- Treatment of gynecological cancers (chemotherapy and surgery).
- Treatment of benign gynecological diseases.
- Laser therapy for malignant diseases of the female genital organs.
- Radical hysterectomy.
- Partial hysterectomy.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin