Charite University Hospital Berlin
Department of Pediatric Surgery (26123)
Specialized in: pediatric surgery
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Pediatric Surgery at the Charite University Hospital Berlin ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in the treatment of pediatric surgical diseases!
The department offers the wide range of surgical interventions for the treatment of various diseases in children, including in newborns. The specialization includes laparoscopy, treatment of anorectal malformations and Hirschsprung's disease, endocrine surgery, hand surgery, pediatric urology, traumatology, surgery in newborns and premature babies, thoracic surgery, laser therapy, surgical oncology and burn surgery. The department cooperates closely with all related pediatric departments, which guarantees top-class comprehensive treatment. The department's medical services are awarded by prestigious German certificate Ausgezeichnet. FÜR KINDER. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Karin Rothe.
An experienced team of pediatric surgeons, pediatric anesthetists, pediatric radiologists, pediatric nurses and pediatric physiotherapists takes care of the health of young patients. All employees provide not only the highest quality of medical services, but also surround children with attention, create a friendly atmosphere in the department.
The surgical treatment is carried out both on an inpatient and outpatient basis (depending on the complexity of the clinical case). Whenever possible, operations are performed using minimally invasive techniques, which ensures quick recovery of the young patient.
The service range of the department includes:
- Abdominal surgery, including laparoscopy
- Operations on the liver, bile ducts, pancreas, spleen and other gastrointestinal organs
- Gallbladder removal (laparoscopic)
- Total and partial spleen removal (laparoscopic)
- Laparoscopic correction of gastroesophageal reflux disease (fundoplication)
- Bowel surgery, for example, in Meckel's diverticulum (laparoscopic)
- Laparoscopic and open surgery in abdominal tumors
- Hybrid interventions
- Surgery for the treatment of Hirschsprung's disease
- Surgery in anorectal malformations, Hirschsprung's disease, constipations
- Endocrine surgery
- Thyroid surgery
- Pancreatic surgery (for example, in hyperinsulinism, pancreatic tumors in children)
- Hand surgery
- Congenital hand deformities (for example, syndactyly, polydactyly, hexadactyly)
- Acquired hand deformities (for example, contractures after burns, deformities after injuries)
- Pediatric urology
- Correction of urethral malformations (hypospadias, epispadias)
- Vesicoureteral reflux
- Ureteroplasty (also laparoscopic)
- Nephrectomy/heminephrectomy (also laparoscopic)
- Foreskin narrowing/phimosis
- Urethral valves
- Adrenogenital syndrome
- Puberty disorders
- Urine diversion surgery for bladder replacement
- Prenatal consultations in malformations of the kidneys and urinary tract
- Treatment of bone fractures in children (pediatric traumatology)
- Laser therapy
- Vascular malformations
- Surgery for newborns and premature babies
- Atresia of various segments of the gastrointestinal tract, including esophageal atresia
- Abdominal wall defects (for example, gastroschisis, omphalocele)
- Diaphragmatic hernia
- Anorectal malformations/anal atresia
- Intestinal duplication
- Hirschsprung's disease
- Hypertrophic pyloric stenosis
- Acute abdominal surgery in premature babies
- Thoracic surgery, including thoracoscopy
- Minimally invasive thoracoplasty in pectus excavatum
- Thoracoscopic surgery in inflammation and tumors of the lungs and pleura
- Treatment of thoracic wall deformities (pectus excavatum and pectus carinatum)
- Lung malformations (lung cysts, lung malformations, lung sequestration)
- Surgical oncology
- Malignant tumors of all localizations, especially in the abdomen, kidneys, adrenal glands, pancreas, lungs
- Benign neoplasms (for example, lymphangiomas, hemangiomas, skin tumors)
- Treatment of burns in children
- Primary treatment of burns
- Further treatment of burns, including plastic surgery
- Other surgical services
- 1974 - 1980 Study of Medicine at the University of Leipzig.
- 1980 - 1984 Professional training in Pediatric Surgery, Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Leipzig (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Fritz Meissner).
- 1984 Medical Specialist in Pediatric Surgery.
- 1985 Doctor’s degree. Subject: "Omphalocele – a retrospective study with special consideration of risk factors".
- 1994 Habilitation. Subject: "Monitoring of morbidity in pediatric surgery. On the importance of biomedical functions in newborns and infants".
- 1994 - 2008 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Leipzig.
- 1995 Venia legendi in Pediatric Surgery (PD).
- 1997 European certification as a Specialist in Pediatric Surgery (European Council of Pediatric Surgery).
- 2000 Appointed as a Visiting Professor, Pediatric Surgery.
- 2003 - 2009 Head of the Academy of Pediatric Surgery of the German Society of Pediatric Surgery.
- 01.05.2008 - 09.31.2009 Head of the Section of Pediatric Surgery at the Department of General, Abdominal and Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 01.10.2009 Appointed as W3 Professor, Department of Pediatric Surgery, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- Neonatal surgery and surgical correction of malformations.
- Abdominal and thoracic surgery.
- Endocrine surgery.
- Genital surgery.
- Surgical treatment of solid tumors.
- Plastic surgery.
- Pediatric trauma surgery.
- Burns (also steam burns).
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Surgery.
- German Society of Pediatric Surgery.
- German Society of Burn Medicine.
- Association of German Surgeons.
- German Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- Saxon-Thuringian Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine and Pediatric Surgery.
- Corresponding Member of the Austrian Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Surgery.
Department of Pediatric Surgery.
Charite University Hospital Berlin:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home