Charite University Hospital Berlin
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Metabolic Disorders (26124)
Specialized in: pediatric gastroenterology, metabolic disorders
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Metabolic Disorders at the Charite University Hospital Berlin offers the full range of accurate diagnostics and conservative treatment of gastrointestinal diseases, metabolic disorders. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Philip Bufler.
Medical care is provided both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. Special attention is paid to the treatment of children and adolescents with chronic and rare diseases. The doctors have in their arsenal many effective treatment methods, which help to fully restore the health of young patients.
The department's doctors specialize in treatment of patients with inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, short bowel syndrome. The congenital malformations of the gastrointestinal organs are treated in collaboration with pediatric surgeons. Also, the department has exceptional experience in the treatment of liver and biliary tract diseases, for example, inflammatory liver diseases, chronic non-infectious liver diseases. The department provides medical care for young patients before and after liver transplantation. The spectrum is complemented by the therapy of common and extremely rare metabolic disorders.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of gastrointestinal diseases
- Chronic inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis)
- Short bowel syndrome
- Celiac disease
- Intestinal motility disorders
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Food intolerance and other digestive problems
- Diagnostics and treatment of liver, biliary tract diseases
- Inflammatory liver disease (for example, autoimmune hepatitis)
- Congenital malformations of the biliary tract
- Chronic infectious liver diseases (for example, hepatitis B and C)
- Metabolic disorders affecting the liver (for example, Wilson's disease)
- Medical care before and after liver transplantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of metabolic disorders, including rare types
- Amino acid metabolism disorders (for example, phenylketonuria, tyrosinemia, maple syrup urine disease, urea cycle disorders, glycine encephalopathy)
- Organic aciduria (for example, methylmalonic acidemia, propionic acidemia, glutaric acidemia type I)
- Carbohydrate metabolism disorders (for example, glycogenoses, galactosemias)
- Energy metabolism disorders (for example, fatty acid oxidation disorders), disorders of carnitine metabolism, ketolysis defects, mitochondriopathy
- Vitamin metabolic disorders
- Lysosomal storage diseases (for example, mucopolysaccharidoses, Pompe disease, Fabry disease, Gaucher disease, Niemann-Pick disease subtypes)
- Defects of cholesterol biosynthesis (for example, Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome)
- Purine and pyrimidine metabolism disorders
- Other medical services
Education and Professional Career
- Study of Medicine at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- Work in the Department of Pediatric Allergology, Pulmonology and Neonatology.
- Research Internship in Denver, Colorado (2,5 years).
- 2005 Board certification in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- Professional training in Gastroenterology.
- Since 2007 Senior Physician in the Department of Pediatric Hepatology at the Dr. von Hauner Children's Hospital, as well as the Deputy Head of the Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology at the same hospital.
- Since 2013 Active participation in the development and coordination of the Pediatric Liver Transplant Program, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- Since October 1, 2017 Head of the Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Metabolic Disorders at the Charite University Hospital Berlin.
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Metabolic Disorders.
Charite University Hospital Berlin:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home