Charite University Hospital Berlin
Department of Pediatric Nephrology (26126)
Specialized in: pediatric nephrology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Nephrology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for young patients suffering from kidney and urinary tract diseases. The department's doctors carry out all types of dialysis procedures. The department treats infants, young children and adolescents under the age of 18 years. Medical care is provided in close cooperation with the Departments of Pediatric Urology and Pediatric Surgery, especially for congenital malformations of the kidneys and urinary tract. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dominik Müller.
The department has all the options for both inpatient and outpatient treatment. All doctors have excellent qualifications and expert knowledge to achieve the best result, even in particularly complex clinical cases.
The department specializes in hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis (in some cases using special extracorporeal procedures, such as plasmapheresis), immunoadsorption and chronic continuous filtration in children with acute and chronic kidney failure. The department also has specially equipped rooms for dialysis in young patients with infectious diseases (for example, hepatitis B, C, multi-drug-resistant Staphylococcus aureus).
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Inpatient medical care
- Diagnostics and treatment of microhematuria and proteinuria
- Diagnostics and correction of urinary tract malformations (for example, reflux disease, stenosis and urethral valves)
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney cysts
- Diagnostics and treatment of recurrent urinary tract infections
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic kidney failure of all degrees of severity
- Diagnostics and treatment of hypertension
- Kidney biopsy
- Sonography of the kidneys and urinary tract
- Hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and acute continuous renal replacement therapy
- Therapeutic apheresis procedures (plasmapheresis and immunoadsorption)
- Kidney transplantation, including preparation and follow-up care
- Nutrition counseling
- Psychosocial care
- Outpatient medical care
- Diagnostics and treatment of acute and chronic kidney disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic kidney failure
- Diagnostics and treatment of concomitant diseases in kidney failure (for example, hypertension and anemia)
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary tract malformations (reflux disease, stenosis, urethral valves)
- Diagnostics and treatment of hematuria, proteinuria, nephrotic syndrome, glomerulonephritis
- Kidney sonography
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- 24-hour urine test
- Nutrition counseling
- Diagnostics and conservative treatment of kidney stones
- Consultation before dialysis
- Preparation and follow-up care after kidney transplantation
- Other medical services
Photo of the doctor: (c) Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Department of Pediatric Nephrology.
Charite University Hospital Berlin:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.