Breast Abscess Diagnostics (program ID: 77393)
University Hospital Cologne
Wolfram MalterSpecialized in: mammology
Department of Mammology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical blood test
- inflammation markers (CRP, ESR)
- blood coagulation analysis (aPTT, PT, INR)
- breasts ultrasound
- biopsy and microbiological examination
(if indicated clinically, additional cost is 2500€)
- nursing services
- services of all leading experts
- explanation of individual treatment plan
You may also book
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Mammology at the University Hospital Cologne ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in breast cancer treatment!
The department offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of cancer and precancerous conditions of the breast. In addition, the department specializes in reconstructive and cosmetic surgery, for example, operations to reduce, augment and reshape breast. The spectrum is complemented with such subspecialities as radiation diagnostics and therapy of breast diseases, preservation of reproductive health, etc. The department ranks among the largest Breast Centers in Germany. The department is headed by Dr. med. Wolfram Malter.
The department’s main focus is on the diagnostics and treatment of breast cancer. The most reliable treatment method is a surgical resection of the tumor, as well as removal of the axillary lymph nodes. The surgical treatment is influenced by such factors as the location and size of the tumor, mammary gland size, age of the patient and her desire to preserve the mammary gland. In the field of surgical treatment, the department specializes in breast-conserving operations, reconstructive breast surgery and sparing lymph node surgery.
In addition to the surgical treatment, all capabilities of drug therapy are available in the department. These include neoadjuvant and adjuvant chemotherapy, antibody therapy, hormone therapy, etc. After a thorough diagnostics and examination of the patient's anamnesis, the department's team prescribes the optimal scheme of drug treatment, the purpose of which is to reduce the size of the tumor or even completely destroy the tumor.
The department also offers radiation therapy, which can be necessary, for example, after surgery in order to prevent a relapse of the disease. The department has the most advanced radiation systems, which allow the doctor to direct the beams directly to the tumor. It also contributes to the most sparing effect on the surrounding tumor tissues. As a rule, radiation therapy is fractional and ensures better tolerability.
The department’s medical services include:
- Diagnostics of all breast diseases
- Histological examination
- Punch biopsy
- Vacuum biopsy
- Radiological diagnostics
- Ultrasound examinations
- Digital mammography
- Nuclear diagnostics
- Lymphatic scintigraphy
- Skeleton scintigraphy
- Histological examination
- Breast cancer treatment
- Surgical treatment
- Organ-preserving surgeries
- Reconstructive breast surgery
- Lymph node removal
- Drug therapy
- Neoadjuvant therapy
- Adjuvant therapy
- Antibody therapy
- Hormone therapy
- Radiation therapy
- Surgical treatment
- Cosmetic breast surgery
- Breast lift
- Breast augmentation/reduction
- Preservation of reproductive function
- Cryopreservation of sperm, eggs and ovarian tissue
- Complementary treatment methods
- Counseling on the optimization of nutrition, physical activities, spiritual balance (psycho-oncology)
- Complementary medicine techniques, for example, selenium therapy, vitamin complexes, enzymes or immunotherapy
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Education and Professional Career
- Study of Medicine at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- Internship at the University of Trier.
- 2008 Specialization, certified Gynecologist and Obstetrician, Krefeld (under the direction of Prof. Dr. Jörg Baltzer and Prof. Dr. Michael Friedrich).
- Moving to the University Hospital Duesseldorf, specialized Breast Surgeon.
- Qualified Senior Breast Surgeon of the German Cancer Society, as well as certified Master of Senology by AWOGyn Working Group.
- 2010 - 2015 Managing Senior Physician, Department of Mammology, University Hospital Cologne.
- 2015 - 2016 Head of the Breast Center at the University Hospital Essen Mitte.
- Since 01.09.2016 Chief Physician in the Department of Mammology at the University Hospital Cologne.
- Senior Physician.
- Gynecologist and Obstetrician.
- Breast Surgeon, Master of Senology (certificate of the AWOGyn Working Group).
- Qualification "Breast Surgery" of the European Board of Surgery (EBS) / European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS).
- Senior Breast Surgeon of the German Cancer Society / German Society of Senology.
- Specialization: Oncoplastic Breast Surgery.
- Intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT).
- Ultrasound breast examinations, German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine (DEGUM II).
- Certificate of the Working Group for Gynecologic Oncology (AGO) on Oncological Diagnostics and Treatment in Gynecology.
- Certified Medical Examiner and Head of Research Section, Clinical Trials Centre (ZKS).
- Surgical and drug treatment of cancer and benign breast changes.
- Breast reshaping, reconstruction using implants and patient's own tissues, preventive operations in genetically determined changes.
- Targeted drug therapy to increase effectiveness and better tolerability of treatment.
- Assessment of surgical techniques for the appropriateness of their routine use in clinical practice.
- Minimally invasive treatment methods.